Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Yet Another Sci-fi Scene

Hi guys!

Here's a little thing I made, the idea for the environment evolved from a martian colonial base through making just a simple corridor to
a juxtaposition of a pretty raw and simple sci-fi room with some
vegetation.

The assets were modeled in Blender, some of the textures were painted in Mudbox, Ndo2 was also used quite extensively.

This is my first artwork posted here, so please be kind:)
Hope you like it.

27752424.png
86556088.png
73405069.png
92438743.png
29553051.png
77024447.png
38754128.png
37858027.png
20282418.png
19925561.png

Replies

• Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really good!
    I would incorporate more of the orange that you see in the first shots.
    Also, the ceiling doesn't really follow the shape of the walls, resulting in weird shapes around the corners.

Are you done with it, or is it a WIP?
  • IchII3D
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Hmmmm, not sure what to think of this. If I was being critical I personally feel it lacks any real grounding or purpose. I generally have absolutely not idea what this room is, it all just seems random. If I was to move forward with a scene like this I would get a better vision of what I was trying to achieve. Move away from adding random normal map detail to everything and think about its purpose and construction. The form of the room could have some potential, kind of a mini garden in some kind of lobby...

But basically it boils down to not just making random stuff, think about the bigger picture and how it all works together.

9001535-md.jpg

stock-photo-the-indoor-hotel-lobby-garden-21165724.jpg

Vertical-Gardens-by-Michael-Hellgren.jpg
  • ultramedia
    Offline / Send Message
    ultramedia polycounter lvl 11
    I think it looks cool, I think you should add some seating around the walls though, to make it look like a small park where people might go and sit while they eat lunch or something. If it was a public infrastructure you might even have some advertising somewhere...
  • SniperStealth
    This is just awesome! Maybe some overhead sprayers similar to those you see in a grocery store might add a nice touch.
  • Tidus
    IchII3D wrote: »
    Hmmmm, not sure what to think of this. [...] Move away from adding random normal map detail to everything and think about its purpose and construction.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw the shots. The first thing that I think of when I see the last picture is that these walls are giant. Then I see the rest of objects and I get really lost.

I hope you correct the ceiling too. In the third picture it kills the composition.
  • Darkleopard
    I like the core of it, its really nice, but i feel like others have said, that it needs more purpose. Are those plants there for study? Viewing? etc Decide whats going on and add the other props
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 9
  • looprix
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    Everything looks great! ...except the tree trunk and branches, they look a little unrealistic imo
  • r3spawn
    That looks amazing, I just have one question... Are you using Angjminer's CryBlend to export your meshes?
  • |MM|
    Thanks for the comments.
    I did this to get me started with sci-fi theme and test my workflow
    against Blender->CE3.
    It was supposed to make just as much sense as any sci-fi corridor around here.
    But in the future I guess I should start with a better design and idea in the first place I agree.

@Disting
    I was aware of this, it didn't seem like a big issue too me,
    but yeah I probably should have at least covered it.
    I think I'm done with it though.

@r3spawn
    I did use it, works pretty much like charm.
    Much better that the 3ds max exporter IMO.
  • e-freak
    looks cool and great to see you use blender and that the export process works :)
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    I love the feel of the scene, it looks really realistic, but the vegetation throws it down, specially the tree
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Ah, ace stuff! Love the vegetation! Can't you show some breakdowns? :) Btw, did you make that dust effect your self or is it a CE3 default? Trying to create something very similar, but I can't get anything decent at all, i know.. I'm horrible :P
  • |MM|
    @sltrOlsson
    I made this in Crysis 2 SDK, I found some particle emitter and played with it's
    parameters but there doesn't seem to be anything special about it.
    The texture is just a spherical gradient.
    I also used a light beam such as this http://sdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC21/TemplBeamProc+Shader

I guess I'll do some breakdowns.:)
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    |MM| wrote: »
    @sltrOlsson
    I made this in Crysis 2 SDK, I found some particle emitter and played with it's
    parameters but there doesn't seem to be anything special about it.
    The texture is just a spherical gradient.
    I also used a light beam such as this http://sdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC21/TemplBeamProc+Shader

I guess I'll do some breakdowns.:)

Ah i see.. Would you mind taking a screenshot of the settings? If it's not to much to ask :) Would be extremely appreciated :)
  • Del
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Beautiful stuff
  • |MM|
    I'll do this or try to export it somehow, but don't wait for it today.
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll do this or try to export it somehow, but don't wait for it today.

Cool stuff :) Thx! Looking forward for an other update :)
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    this isn't just another sci-fi scene, this is a kickass bio sci-fi scene. nice work I love to see organic and hard surface mixing well.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I think it's fantastic, but I don't like the flooring. It tiles too repetitively, and doesn't really look like an appropriate floor surface.
  • |MM|
    11436832.png

All these (up) share the same 1024x2048 texture and material.
    (For the screenshots I used 2 cause I wanted to have some POM
    on some of the pieces, but it made some others look broken)

46265789.png

The ceiling and floor tiles.

69828696.png
    The flytrap is around 300 verts.
    The leaves were at first just planes,now there's 4 faces in each
    but I think they could use a little more so they could look better
    from some angles.

36977785.png
    I kinda like this one I painted it mostly by hand in Mudbox.
    Originally it was 400 verts per cluster, but it looked edgy so I subdivided it one time.

59636388.png
    The rest (basil and elephant ear) are very low poly (and edgy).
    The grass is a bake from Blender, painted to add more tones.
    (Actually when blocking out the scene I used the grass from Crysis
    and really liked it, so this was meant to be similar)

73757802.png

The vacuum cleaner I actually started with, I made it initially
    to test Blender->Xnormal normal baking workflow.
    I did found some answers and if you're interested you can find some conclusions here:
    http://eat3d.com/forum/questions-and-feedback/blender-normal-baking-questions
    It's not too optimized though.

27530768.png

The tree was the most challenging part of it all.
    I wanted to have a big tree with big tree shapes, rather than
    small noisy leaves.

And here comes the biggest problem.CE3 doesn't support vertex normals
    that could make the canopy shade properly, the Vegetation shader
    works great with small leaves (Crysis 2 trees look amazing) with
    bigger leaves the trees look lumpy.
    I ended up using Humanskin shader

Here are some other trees I made for testing

85744568.png

93208876.png

Also there doesn't seem to be any way to achieve SSS that works with lights other than the sun and that works inside of a VisArea.

screenshot0005y.png
  • Seirei
    These are some nice photos, now show your 3d stuff!

No, but seriously this looks amazing! Probably the most realistic plants I've seen so far.
  • gametime
    Offline / Send Message
    gametime polycounter lvl 8
    please continue with this wonderful world
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, that's lovely! I tried to get the vegetation shader, to mimic was though, to work inside a visArea to. It just looked like the regular Illum shader. Love the look on your leaves!
  • martin.hedin
    Hi! Really cool stuff, this is what I want to do! I don't have time at the moment but will be doing sci-fi scenes this summer.

1) In my opinion, although I am a bit picky, is that game developers suffers from being a bit ignorant about architecture and engineering when designing. I always get annoyed when buildings are lacking important elements, or are structurally impossible. In your case it does not happen, but something similar is going on with those heat-pumps you have placed on the walls.

Keep in mind, this is totally subjective, but from an artistic viewpoint, those boxes with fans completely ruins the integrity of you style in this case. They are simply out of place.

2) Secondly they are out of place functionally. If they are meant for air-conditioning, those boxes with the fans are placed on the outside of the building, where the fans basically are cooling a liquid circuit. On the inside of the building the same system is feeding cool air (or hot) into the interior space. So in your case they should look different: http://detectenergy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/71958622_1-Pictures-of-Mini-Split-Air-Conditioner-Ductless-minisplit-AC-and-Heat-Pump-Best-Price-In-the-market1.jpg

As in the picture, the upper unit is the one you want on the inside.

However, this kind of well designed (futuristic) building would of course have integrated ventilation, so you should really only have the intake mounted inside the wall.

Sorry for being nitpicky, but I think that you have such skill that these things really should be important. That is to really think through the design.
  • |MM|
    Thanks for great constructive critisism!

I actually studied architecture for some time, but didn't feel it was for me.
  • martin.hedin
    I am in fifth year but I keep failing everything for the past year. Going into exam period soon, I will propably die from an heart attack.

Where did you study?

I am studying at Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. www.ulpgc.es.
  • martin.hedin
    I would like to go on further and ask you why you have done the panels they way you have?

The reason for all those panels with screws and such, would be for them to be easily retractable. That is, that installations are drawn on racks and shelf behind the panels. If you really thought of what installations and wires are drawn you could make a more convincing concept. For example I noticed that your heatpumps are placed in the same height, where a continuos type of panel runs through the whole scheme. I would expect that line to be the duct and that there would be intakes in the corridor as well.

A "space" structure like this would probably have impulsion and extraction of air, and that would give you the logic and shape of panels and such. So if two separate systems of ducts are needed, it says alot of the design of the corridor and the building as a whole. You would need the impulsion for example to be one line of panels and maybe the extraction above or below, and the mouths of the ducts would be different. For example on big opening for the impulsion, and several small for the extraction, that should be evenly distributed in the "dirtiest" places of the building (corners, bathrooms, dead ends).

And btw!

You are using CE3 Free SDK right? How did you get the screenshots so sharp? I usually find CE3 blurry and bloomy, but yours are really clean.

Did you use e_screenshot with high resolution, or something? And what bloom settings and visarea/lighting settings are you using?

And what size of textures?

Could you share that scene just as it is? I would really love to load it into the editor and see what you have done!

This is a good example from another sci-fi thread on crydev. The screenshot have a "CE3 look" to it. Its blurry and bloomy.

JQVxD.jpg

If we compare to yours, it is almo a professional vray render.
    86556088.png

And here is an example of my work, blurry and bloomy, not sharp as yours. (Of course, I can reduce r_bloommul, but that effects the bloom of the sunlight, but still the image would be somewhat blurry, like Nintendo 64 if you know what I mean)

02.jpg

k1.jpg
  • |MM|
    I'm truly amazed again and kinda embarassed, cause my thought process wasn't nearly as
    deep as yours.
    I was thinking more like "These walls look empty, there's a lot of dirt in the room,
    It could use some ventilation"

I was kinda tired with this scene, but you inspired me with this.
    I think I'll work on some air circulation system.

2.I'm working with Crysis 2 SDK but didn't do anything than can't be done in Free SDK.

Here's what I did: (need DX11)

a) I made a flowgraph for sharpening with Image:FilterSharpen (Amount=2)
    b) I did use some chromatic aberration Image:ChromaShift but
    I doesn't work well, the lowest amount it has any effect is 0.2 but it's already too
    much.
    c} I determined the final resolution, set the viewport resolution to a half of it
    to make it fit on my screen, then set up the camera.
    d)Changed the resolution to 2x the final, r_GetScreenShot=2
    e)In photoshop downscale the image with bicubic sharper.

I used a lot of lights to fill the space, I did't change any bloom or visarea
    settings.

And good luck to you, I sudied for like 4 months :)
    Let's not talk about it.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    I like it. Only thing that really bother me is grass. You didn't waned an noisy trees, but ended up with noisy grass. Maybe you should consider less blades, with more size variance ?
  • theonebutcher
    This is awesome, thanks for sharing how you grabbed your images. Really helpful! Cant wait to see this finished!
  • Borgleader
    Offline / Send Message
    Borgleader polycounter lvl 6
    I really like your level, it reminds me of mass effect in some ways. I would love to know how you made your trees though, they look really good.
  • snow
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    can i ask how you achieved those nice dust particles? :)
  • |MM|
    As I said before, I just played with some default particles,
    It's a simple particle emitter with even simpler particle material.
  • Demogorgon
    Offline / Send Message
    Demogorgon polycounter lvl 4
    JQVxD.jpg

:D This is my work, Still got alot more to do.
  • |MM|
    HAHA Blame martin.hedin for making it an example of a blurry and bloomy CE3 screenshot.:poly124:
  • Demogorgon
    Offline / Send Message
    Demogorgon polycounter lvl 4
    HAHA Blame martin.hedin for making it an example of a blurry and bloomy CE3 screenshot.:poly124:

:D Well there is nothing i could do.. its just ce3 look.
  • systemic
    Offline / Send Message
    systemic polycounter lvl 7
    Man, I freaking LOVE CE3 scenes - I'm drooling right now. As a UDK user, scenes like this make me wish I had invested my time in learning CE3 instead, because this is gorgeous. The reflections and specularities in CE3 leave their UDK counterparts in the dust.

Well done, mate. Looking forward to seeing more.
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    hey MM do you have a portfolio website? I'd love to see more of your work
  • PhoenixWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    systemic wrote: »
    Man, I freaking LOVE CE3 scenes - I'm drooling right now. As a UDK user, scenes like this make me wish I had invested my time in learning CE3 instead, because this is gorgeous. The reflections and specularities in CE3 leave their UDK counterparts in the dust.

Well done, mate. Looking forward to seeing more.

as far as building a scene, lighting and basic post process you can learn that in a week and achieve the same look i'm not sure about having the same quality of art since i don't know you're capable of but yeah..

U CAN DO ETTTT! :D