Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

'The Dragon's Perch' Tavern

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
Hey,

I made this some time at the end of last year, it's a painted, diffuse only tavern which I made specifically for the Polycount book that Ryan is putting together at the moment. Seeing as people actually know about the book now, I guess I'll post this! :)

I fucking love dragons and northern themes, So this was a no brainer for me as I was pretty much just asked to create a painted texture building similar to that Zeppelin tower I did ages ago. (which I wont show because it looks crap now)

dragonsperch_fin1.jpg
dragonsperch_fin2.jpg

It's not super duper stylized as it could be but I think it came out kinda nice yet gritty. There are many things I'd do differently now but my main regret is that I probably shouldn't have wasted all that texture space on the roof, hah.. (that said the texture is used in a lot of places) :) Also I think there are some major readability issues but meh.

Looking back at the earlier stages I had a real problem with making textures too dark with low contrast, I'm beginning to get out of this habit now, which will hopefully show in future painted stuff.

The creation of the textures is covered in the book, which I hope we will all get a chance to dig into sometime soon. Hopefully it will help some people, although it pales in comparison to a lot of the other segments, hah. :)

Anyway, hope you like it. :)

Replies