Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Portfolio Environments (WIP)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
deutschbag polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone. Here are two portfolio environments I've been working on and off during the past months. Well, they have to be done by mid June, as I'm finishing these up for University.

The first environment is this rather large Valley/Powerplant scene that's opting for a more painterly style (much inspired by the 2007 Prince of Persia game)

The second environment is a SciFi gothclub which is set in a foundry (still heavy WIP). I'm also being influenced by some soviet visual elements on this one.

Anyway, this is the current state of affairs:

Valley:
(based on these rather old concepts of mine)
print_arrival.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

GothClub:
1.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Major To-DOs:
Valley:
-a strong painterly skydome
-finish texturing the remaining assets (...duh)
-water materials
-waterfalls for waterwheel

GothClub:
-more tiling textures for variety
-introduce more modualr assets
-fix lighting
-fix various current assets (...duh)

Anyway, as I'll be working on these like stupid in the comings weeks, I'm hoping to get as much feedback possible from you guys, since you're all awesome :)

Cheers!

Replies

• megalmn2000
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    The valley looks very interesting. I think you should finish it before the gothclub. Better to have 1 "wow" environment than having 2 wip. After that, you can jump on the gothclub! Can't wait to see more!
  • deutschbag
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I'll definitely finish up the valley first (not to mention that it's been a major pain in the ass, and I want it done hehe)
  • deutschbag
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright here's my progress for the week. Got a bunch of textures and assets in. Now it's mostly just a matter of world building, post processing and making this environment interesting.

I posted some shots of a tiling texture I used for the landscape. It looks ok, but it definitely isn't there yet, and I'd love some feedback on it. Thank you!

Also, I finally made use of 3d projected textures (thanks the awesome help of Choco!!) on my landscape to reduce stretching.
    6.jpg
    7.jpg
    8.jpg
    9.jpg
  • GOBEE
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Pretty sweet environment deutschbag!

I like the Borderlands type vibe I'm getting. I don't think you need too much more work on the landscape texture you did. Yea it's a big part of your scene, but not entirely your focus. The epic tree is obviously one focus and it looks good. However, the way it's sitting on the rocks reminds me of an octopus. The roots might benefit from being split into multiple pieces going different directions, or just make them less fat. If you have time, bring them down, hanging over the cliff like the concept. The tree itself is pretty massive, the amount of leaves could be increased. Might as well go all out and make it ridiculous!

The other focus is whatever cog/gear base you have in the middle. I'm not entirely sure what that is, and that's a problem. (Just read it's a power plant, but I didn't know by just looking at it) There is so much going on. You've got random cogs laying around, ropes going into some lights.. and the light blue accent lights you have are EVERYWHERE. I find it distracting. Looking back at your concept, the scene might come together better if it's simplified. Less objects in the middle, less lights etc. Right now, it's kind of just blending into the background.

With that said, I love the windmills and sails. Definitely stick with the Valley. Working on that until June will give you one hell of a strong piece. Good luck man!
  • deutschbag
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the insightful feedback!

Yeah, the whole powerplant structure is still a jumbled mess, but the plan is to completely rearrange it into something that makes more sense and is easier on the eyes. And I totally agree on the blue lights, definitely needs toning down and selective variation.

And thank you! Unfortunately, this isn't the only massive project that needs to be done by june hehe.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 9
    may i see the flats for the tree, looks epic
  • deutschbag
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, some more progress for this week. Worked mainly on the back section, and introduced a moss vertex paint material based on heightmap subtraction. I understand that this moss is currently greener than Dublin on St Patrick's, so that'll definitely be revised!

Also painted a new tiling texture for the walls. I'm a little on the fence about it, so any feedback is welcome as usual.
    11.jpg
    12.jpg
    13.jpg
    15.jpg

And the flat diffuse as requested (here at 1024, 2048 actual size):
    16.jpg
  • R00
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Great work man! Love the re-use of textures! That is something I really need to work on.
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    I love this scene so far and I can't wait to see where you take it :)

*Subscriiiiiiiiibed*
  • deutschbag
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. It's extremely motivating :)

Anyway, here's a little update. I added a new skybox. I opted to handpaint it; it still needs refinement but it's achieving the look I want. I also added some morph target animations to the sacs. Aside from that, I just did general world building and lightmap fixing.

Still a lot to do, so any feedback is more than welcome of course!
    17.jpg
    18.jpg
    19.jpg
  • deutschbag
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I have to call it done for now. Time is unfortunately running out and I have other projects to finish. Anyway, here it is in DirectX 11 with an edge effect post process that my buddy provided. Please let me know what you think! Unfortunately I can't go back to this any time soon :/
    final_one.jpg
    final_2.jpg
    final_5.jpg
    final_4.jpg
    final_6.jpg
    final_7.jpg
  • deutschbag
    Offline / Send Message
    Will post some breakdowns soon!
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks wonderful :)
    And although there are always things that can be tweaked, it definitely looks finished.

Great work!
  • GOBEE
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    It looks good man! You could work on this for many more weeks I'm sure, but you have to end it at some point. I like the tweaks you have made and your scene is stronger now because of you posting on PC. I really like it, good job man. And good luck with the rest of your project!
  • deutschbag
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, sorry for being quiet for a while, but here's a little bit of progress on the second environment. Basically sized down the whole drastically. Still needs an insane amount of work. The current state:
    Highres_Screenshot_00003.jpg
    wall.jpg
    Highres_Screenshot_00005.jpg
    Highres_Screenshot_00006.jpg
    Highres_Screenshot_00004.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    That sci-fi wall is pretty-damn sweet!

The first thing that jumps out at me with this foundry area is that the lighting is fairly uniform. To me, the lights need to be brighter and the shadows darker.

I think that the molten material needs to be producing the vast majority of the area's illumination, with some nice harsh shadows in the environment to create spots of high and low contrast throughout.

I hope that helps :)
  • deutschbag
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the pointers! Believe me, the lighting still needs a lot of work heh... but you're definitely right, not dramatic enough. Anyway, here are some asset updates. Will post some updated screenshots soon.
    chest.jpg
    kegger.jpg
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I like the style of the assets you're doing for the second environment. It's a cool mixture of sci-fi and industrial, which is always exciting. I never really see it used that often, so it's refreshing.

Also, I love the post-process in the first one, with the black edges. I think with your models/materials and the outlines, it really comes off as something from Borderlands, for me. Which is good, in my opinion, I love the style. Speaking of Borderlands, I think your second scene would also look interesting with the outlines. Not for a portfolio piece(I'm sure two images with the outlines is overkill for a portfolio) but just for kicks.