Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bath Time - iPad 3D physics simulator - retina

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
bathtime-newsletter.jpg

Re-released my old title "iBath" as Bath Time, heavy update with about 3 months solid coding, way more fun for kids now. Aimed squarely at kids age 2 ~ 6.

App is also universal / retina display compatible.

Here's a link to the app on iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/app/bath-time/id486196001?l=en&mt=8

Not sure if I should post promo codes here but if you want one, just reply to this thread and I'll supply.

Some images:

mza_8887102747049811675.480x480-75.jpgmza_2398576772941239335.480x480-75.jpgmza_7254630234458411718.480x480-75.jpgmza_5739222756168672535.480x480-75.jpg

Feedback welcomed as always!

Replies

• JamesWild
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    That looks pretty cool! I haven't got an iPad to hand but looks like it should be fun for the target audience.

Graphically there are some small tweaks I'd make like a little bit of darkening around the edges of the bath due to light being occluded by the walls but I don't think that matters hugely for a kid's game where realism isn't paramount.

If I do have one thought on usability, did your playtesters have any problems with the icons up top? It might be just my screen but the text is small and hard to read and the icons might be hard to understand.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually the bath is rendered with a lightmap, AO etc.

Icons look fine on their intended platform (iPad / iPhone)
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    heres a better view of the icons:

7060244597_4d0740b49d_b.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    lol, can't say that I've seen a wooden tub before, but OK! lol. :-)

I like it, looks simple and colorful. The only artistic critique I'd give is that everything seems very similar in value and I wonder if kids this age have the eye coordination to differentiate. I might have chosen to make the water and tub a little bit darker so the toys themselves pop more. The yellow ducks in the final bottom right image seem to read best, and the top left image seems the most difficult.

How long did this take you and what kind of sales have you seen?
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Well, I'm disappointed! I was expecting some half naked girls getting scrubbed and playing with duckies!

Ha, but seriously this looks great.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    The only artistic critique I'd give is that everything seems very similar in value and I wonder if kids this age have the eye coordination to differentiate. I might have chosen to make the water and tub a little bit darker so the toys themselves pop more.

Yes this was a struggle. The only problem was making the tub darker just made the whole app too moody, the bath looked like a cold uninviting environment.
    How long did this take you and what kind of sales have you seen?

First version took about 1 month, sales almost took off but Apple only featured for one day then dropped it (I'm guessing because it used to be called "iBath") so I went back to the drawing board and spend another 3 months on this - so with the name change and new icon, new erm everything, it might take off again. So sales have only been marginal so far, few hundred bux.

However the programming knowledge I picked up is invaluable.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Well, I'm disappointed! I was expecting some half naked girls getting scrubbed and playing with duckies!

Ha, but seriously this looks great.

Heh, cheers!

(maybe naked girls for the Android version?)
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
  • BarnabyJones
    all I can think of is playstation next gen tech demos >.>
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message