Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Submarine!

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
mxlplxn polycounter lvl 8
My friend Ian and I are working on a project together about a submarine, its captain, and a shark man, originally the captain was a lady and the shark man was on your team, but things change haha.

This is a big project for us so it'll be going on until November, so I'd like to get it awesome and who better to help then the Polycount community!

the ship is currently ~12k tris and ill be posting the captain once imageshack unfreezes and I get some concepts for yall to compare them too :)

*edit* sorry for the ugly renders I run windows 7 on a cardboard box.
also, I grabbed an imgur account, thanks for the suggestion Jessica.

*edit* changed the thread title to better reflect whats going on... and I said HEEEEEYEAAAAAY YEA YEA YEA HEEEY YEAA YEA. sorry saw that he-man video again today.

Vdwe8.jpg?1

XUSNa.jpg?1

MFuI0.jpg

sub02t.jpg

sub01z.jpg

sub3g.jpg

sub05i.jpg

sub04k.jpg

Replies

• Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Cool, I love the design - this already looks really interesting even without the textures. Maybe looks a little too exposed for a submarine though - I think if you added some more windows or something it would help it look more submariney. Or added glass encasing around things. Just some thoughts, but I like this so far :):) Also, screw imageshack, use imgur!
  • mxlplxn
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestion Jessica! the ship is meant to be half boat half sub,so it can surface and have a tug boat/slavage boat feel, and then go under like a sub. I'll place some portholes and run it by Ian :)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Ahh, ok, then the exposed parts make sense. But yeah, port holes would help the submarine half of your design.
  • MeintevdS
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    You'd better make it yellow!

Love the design, made me think of Ian McQue which is never a bad thing :D
    Looking forward to see how the textures work out!
  • Darkleopard
    Very interesting design! Made more sense when you said its a sub/tug boat hybrid.

I would suggest that the periscope needs to be taller IMO to work properly though.

Looking forward to seeing textures
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    You need to tweak the amount of sides per cylinder a bit. Your bottom ones (fuel tanks?) are 8 sided, but so are the ]-shaped tubes, and those are about a quarter of the thickness. Along the same lines, your cannons are 10 sided and your 'jet' engines only 12 sided even though they're 5~6 times as big.

A rule of thumb I like to follow is to use 1.5x as many sides on something that is 2x as thick. Not the same amount, because, well duh, it's bigger and needs more detail. But not 2 times as many sides, even though it might seem the logical thing to do, this image shows why:
    size_sides.png
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I'd tweak those side engines. It looks like they have air intakes, which doesn't make any sense at all for a submarine. They looks like jet engines from the front even.
  • mxlplxn
    Offline / Send Message
    @MeinntevdS: Thanks! One of our initial color concepts was all yellow :) well see where it goes haha, and Ian McQue is our inspiriation for much of the sub.

@Darkleopard: The periscope is currently lowered, I should just pull it out. woops..

@Snader: oo thank you! Ill definitely be cleaning this up.

@Xoliul: they are jet engines, a water jet or pump jet engine, but after looking up some more on it, the prop in the back of the side mounted jets is wrong and there should be a nozzle instead of fins. The theory is generally the same though, force lots of mass into one end, pressurize it and fire it out the back for propulsion. :)
  • PhattyEwok
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Love the submarine. I will say that at first glance I was thinking airship but totally see the sub now. I think it was the engines on the side that threw me off.
  • Umar6419
    Offline / Send Message
    Umar6419 polycounter lvl 7
    Reference images Are Nice ....
  • mxlplxn
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the Captain :) i havent tweaked the model for asymmetry yet.
    the second image has a hair model floating over the head, i'm trying to decide between cards and or modeled hair.
    The eyes aren't staying that dense, it was just for reference when I was modeling it to the concept.

JO10L.jpg

Sw5fS.jpg
  • Darkleopard
    Your captain reminds me of the main character in Planet 51. :D
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Whoa. I thought the character on the ship was a stand-in, but that's actually going to be the character? If so, you have some huuuge difference in polygon density. He's about 50 pixels tall in the shots, but he's got about 3000 triangles? That's quite unneccesary. 500 should be plenty at such a scale.
  • mxlplxn
    Offline / Send Message
    @Snader: the Captain will be seen up close, its mostly a project to display modeling and texturing ability.

We've been through alot of "do we make this, or this?" and since decided to just make cool looking models and concepts for our portfolios with a theme and hopefully make something out of all of the finished assets in the end, like a short animation :)
  • mxlplxn
    Offline / Send Message
    Rebuilding the face topology a bit on the captain so it'll be easier to rig and animate :) I should have an update soon!

added portholes and adjusted the turbine to be this bad boy.
    Pdx47t1.jpg
    how it works:
    dn3321-1_843.jpg

Also, the ship will be considered more of an environment for this project now, gonna build a few more detail pieces and start packing it up :)
  • mxlplxn
    Offline / Send Message
    updated captain orthos!
    H7XiE.jpg

topology changes to the head
    zbvNy.jpg
    K3OOM.jpg

the captain ready to be unwrapped and rigged, unless y'all see some big changes I should make!
    rxUd1.jpg

and here is the sub with portholes!
    WKTng.jpg

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone!
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    LOVE the ship design! Looks great man!
  • mxlplxn
    Offline / Send Message
    Update! Here's the Captain with a quick and dirty texture on him to test colors and get the feel back for texturing. still a long way to go here.
    2IUA0.jpg

ship is broken into two maps which are also heavily WIP, ill be posting them sooooon!
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Ok well the water jet sorta makes sense, but you don't need fans then. Fans serve to compress the air in a turbojet before it gets mixed with fuel and ignited, to provide for a more powerful combustion (the idea behind turbo). Makes no sense to compress water.
    But I can't tell if you'll have fans or not, though the little central stub art seems to suggest them.
    Hey and after all, keep in mind it's the suggestion that counts, if it reads more like an airship, you should consider changing it to read more submarine :) I also think the shape of the engines on the side looks a bit clunky and primitive compared to the rest of the ship, which seems more thought out.
  • ikken
    looks very promising, love what you have there a lot.
  • mxlplxn
    Offline / Send Message
    WOO, so I got sick and then swamped with papers to write, but I'm back at it, and these are due ASAP. soooo... UPDATE!

FISH DUDER!

ZaXtP.jpg
    Cfuhw.jpg
    czLOp.jpg
    qQmxp.jpg
    pKfvu.jpg
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
  • mxlplxn
    Offline / Send Message
    @Chimp: Thanks, I should probably change the thread title since this already has more non sub things, and will probably have more haha.
  • lbigbirdl
    but where are the torpedo tubes?
  • LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    LOVE the style on these, especially since I typically get a hard-on for anything remotely Ian McQue. Love the look of the captain, and the texture is coming along nicely :D
  • mxlplxn
    Offline / Send Message
    @lbigbirdl: they are more like launch silos, and there are two in the front with flip tops and we put some torpedos on the deck for show,even though they'd just slide around but will be our little secret ;)

@LOtekK: hahah thanks, I'll let my concept artist know, he'll appreciate that!
  • mxlplxn
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok last character for now, these are the three main character models were using well be adding more over the summer/next semester :)

time to texture all these!

7xS1t.jpg
    IJKyS.jpg
    gp67v.jpg
    ZFCvp.jpg
    OSGAz.jpg