Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci Fi Scene CE3

Replies

• theonebutcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @e-freak:
    Thanks man! glad that you like it, ill take on board what your said and give it a bash in the material, hadnt thought of animating it as I was planning on only taking stills. I might give that a go, could be fun.

Anymore crits id love to hear them!

Cheers
  • darthwilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get some soft body physics on the go which would be awesome! looking great man
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    e-freak wrote: »
    just dropped by to say this looks f* fantastic :) love how this brings such a great contrast to the scene's setting. Did you think about putting a few bones in there to make it pulsing? (or use vertex colors to drive some pulsing animation in the shader) also: needs Subsurface scattering and some glow :D

+1, especially this looks f* fantastic
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Hmm, I feel like the lighting doesn't really fit all that well. Like lightsources coming out of nowhere kind-of-deal. Maybe try having a cubemap on the metal walls as well? Making the scene a little bit more reflective? They did this a lot in the latest Deus Ex, no spec-maps and lots of cubemap reflection though subtle. :)
  • theonebutcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits guys! really appretiated, ill have some more progress soon! Glad some of you guys like it. Im pretty determined to get this finnished over the next week! so progress will be more frequent.

Im having some problems with decals in the SDK at the moment, it seems to have a default spec that I cant alter when using the project on mehses options. going to have another go at sorting this out later but if anyone has had any common problems with decals and has found a work around let me know please. Need to spend some more time working on the decals this sould soften out the transition between flesh and metal.

@Darthwilson: thanks man! glad that you like it mate! i might try and do that.

@chrisradsby: are there any lights in particular that look as if they have no source or are you talking about them all?

Again guys any crits let me know.

Cheers
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    I love it! i agree with the spec tho. Get some ref pics from dead space or Amnesia.
    Also some transition between the meat and the environment. So it doesn't feel like someone just placed a thing there.

keep it up!
  • theonebutcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys,

Without wanting to re post what I already have going in another thread, im having some troubles with decals in the engine at the moment and was hoping someone might help me out please!

Thread is located here:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96639

Again any help or indeed crits on the scene again would be great,

Cheers!
  • theonebutcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a little more progress on the scene, still got quite a bit left to do. Im wanting to get this finished this week so I can start another piece and get this in my folio. Really enjoyed making this so far.

The "meat" still isnt textured yet, ive also added a hospital style bed and a security camera and few other decals.

This left to do now on this scene as far as i can tell are:

Texture the "meat"
    Texture Camera
    Texture Bed
    Texture Door+Frame

Maybe make some additional modular details? dont know yet see how I get on.

Here are some more screengrabs of the scene:

GnN77.jpg

JgeNj.jpg

RIpy6.jpg

Again crits and comments at this point would be awesome, im going to go through this thread soon and make a list of crits that may need addressing.

Cheers again for looking!
  • theonebutcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres a few more small updates, added a few extra decals and made some changes to the trolley:

x5hTR.jpg

ZfgKG.jpg

I7C5s.jpg

Again crits and comments welcome.

Cheers
  • KingLuke24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow. Looks Really Good! I'm a young newbie artist (only 16) trying to get to where I can do some detailed modeling in 3ds max, and I must ask, where did you learn to create and use textures efficiently? I've been looking for tutorials everywhere. Once again, looks aweseome so far. Keep it up!
  • theonebutcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @KingLuke: cheers for looking man! Good age to start! I didnt get into this until I was about 24ish so you should have tonnes of experience if you stick at it mate! regards texturing have a look on the polycount wiki its a vault of really good information that could help you. There are som pretty descent video tutorials out there as well from sites such as eat3d and 3dmotive you you have some money you dont mind spending. Other than that just practice loads and keep making things and learning man! Good luck!

Keep the crits coming guys!! :poly142:
  • Captain Salty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks superb Butch!

Does the meat pulsate? :D!!
  • theonebutcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, no pulsating meat so far though! thanks for looking!

Cheers
  • theonebutcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some more progress on the scene, I think its nearly done now. Only have the bed left to complete.
    Here are some updated shots of the scene:

EofYD.jpg

LT2Pm.jpg

Twyzk.jpg

EsZbh.jpg

If anyone has any crits or comments, I would really love to hear them as im feeling this is pretty much done (one asset left!). Im going to move onto another scene ive been planning :poly142:. Ive learned a tonne making this and thanks to all who have commented and given crits so far.

Would love to hear what you all think.

Cheers
  • Captain Salty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In absolute minor nitpicking for the sake of it, would the (what I assume is a decal) decal of the white medical symbol on the wall (most prominent in the last screenshot) really be sprayed/painted over what looks like some sort of grate on the wall?

Again, that's absolute minor nitpicking, I think the scene looks great.
  • theonebutcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Captain Salty: Cheers again, ill have a look at the decal might move it around, not sure tbh.

As soon as the last asset is complete ill post up the final Grabs.

Again feedback appretiated!

Cheers
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    colors look great, there's lots of subtle variations that made the scene very pleasant to look at.

one thing that caught my attention is blueish highlights on the wall. i guess they are supposed to be caused by those small rectangular lights. however highlights on the wall look like light source is in front of the wall rather than inside it.
    i dunno if it's worth it to give each rectangle it's own light but it does slightly off at the moment.

another thing is that the organic stuff feels a bit undefined at the moment.
  • BakaKoneko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know what, I'm getting a real Zerg infested Terran installation vibe from this; and that's certainly not a bad thing in my opinion.

Just read through the thread and it was wonderful watching this come alive, albeit after it happened.

Awesome work!
  • theonebutcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the feedback guys!
    I'll have a look into the lights on the walls later on. Thanks again!
  • theonebutcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the renders of the scene so far, I think ive addressed the crits posted so far and im feeling as though this might be complete. I was hoping at this point you guys could give me some feedback on the scene and let me know if there are any areas that require improvement please.

Here are the grabs:

aDrCn.jpg

UacTI.jpg

BYkZB.jpg

9zrW5.jpg

Crits and comments really appretiated at this point

Cheers again to everyone who has given crits and feedback so far and to everyone who has looked!
  • theonebutcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sasochicken: Thanks man, glad that you like it! thanks for taking the time to crit and give feedback.

If anyone has any crits I would love to hear them before I move onto a new project! :poly122:
  • fragfest2012
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where did you get your texture reference, especially the grates?
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    lookin really cool! tho the specular of the decals has a brighter rim.
  • tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
    great work, loving the textures. Can you share your texture workflow? Are you wall and floor panels modeled or did you use an app like ndo2?