Home General Discussion

Work Experience / unpaid internships - hard to come by?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
I'm trying to see if i can get myself work experience or intership work at a london studio this summer (June-September). Do many studios do work experience? Most of the websites i've visited don't seem to offer any information on the matter, so i'm assuming not?
What would be the best way to go about trying to find a placement?
Recently updated my portfolio with some stuff, i'm not sure what level of work is expected for somebody to get an internship though?
http://artofgiles.weebly.com/

Replies

• Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Are you only considering games companies? If so you could take a crack at this: http://www.cinesite.com/internships/vfx
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ideally games companies, but any CG related companies would be great. I'd probably have to tune my portfolio towards highpoly sculpts instead of ingame meshes before i apply though? Or do you think they would be open to anything?
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I dunno, I wonder that myself to be honest but they still bake etc in order to make models riggable so they can surely appreciate game res work...
  • WDewel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WDewel polycounter lvl 7
    You also might look at companies that develop simulation or other training software. I'm from Kansas City, there aren't exactly a lot of game studios around, ha! But i'm still at a (paid) internship now with a company that is having me create both low and high poly models, texture, rig, animate, and bring all of that into Unity. I'm not creating monsters or zombies but it's still really good experience, probably a little more relevant than working on commercials and that kind of stuff. I don't know if it would be an equivalent learning experience for a character artist, but you still might want to give it a look. :)
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sure that will open up a few more choices for me WDewel, thanks for that.

@Mathew, yea i guess that the workflow is still rather similar, i'l give it a shot and see.

Does anybody know any games studios in london that might accept work experience placements? Google is full of recruiting agencies when you search for studios :(