Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ian Maclure's 'Level Up and Post Work' WIP Thread

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
fearian greentooth
Level up as in I need to get a damn job! :) It's been over half a year year since I graduated and I've been away from game art for alot of that time. But I've also been doodling away at a few programs and hopefully picking up a thing or two, and I need to get serious, get back into the flow and work on something that will actually get done and revamp my poor student folio. To that effect, I've been hitting the tutorials hard since January as a kind of motivational kickstarter, and it's really worked!

So here is what I've been working on since Febuary, and a little todo list:

----

The first thing I needed practice with was foliage, so... (click for larger)
MQr1bl.jpg

I love the mood of this concept. I'm going to be taking liberties with it, but this will be my main inspiration for a forested ruins scene. Concept by Ioan Dumitrescu.

Overview of my scene for this project:
A7k1w.jpg

...and a paintover I did of where I want to take it.
MpWSh.jpg

Lighting foliage is definitely proving challenging, and so far it's looking like I'm going to need some kind of depth based Post Processing to get the background light and golden glow.

Tree Wireframes:
TQlcp.jpg

And once more in the default UDK map:
stHjx.jpg
I'm planning on another, larger, tree and a few small bushes to complete the set. In the mean time I have alot of ruined stone bricks to sculpt.

Edit: Oh yeah, One big thing I need to improve is my texturing. I can't seem to get a consistent style between Photosourced, Mostly Baked, and Mostly hand painted textures. Texture painting is something I really want to practice, which I will try to do with my vault scene I think. Here are some from this scene:

0zllg.jpgXYDHO.jpgQr5Zo.jpgOeuBM.jpg

The two images on the left are my own photo sourced and painted textures, whilst the two on the right are the result of following in the direction of tutorials, so that accounts for some of the difference in style, ha.

----

The second project started off as a Modelling practice session between myself and bbob - the plan being to give each other pictures to tackle each week. Here is what I got... http://i.imgur.com/C7wpu.jpg And here is my High poly.
CO9Sy.jpg

The low poly is pretty trivial to make, but I'm having to do alot of small baking tests as I go, because these bloody cylinders! URL="http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154"]This thread[/URL] has been my bible!

Anyway, I'm hoping to put this into a very small coridoor scene as a hero prop. Sketch of that to come...

---

Anyway, I have alot to do! My aim is to update this thread with something at least once a day - and find some time to enter the darksiders contest. Crit me!

Oh, and thanks/credit where its due: Thanks to Damien Lazarski(teaandcigerettes) and Ryan Smith(virtuosic) for their excellent 3dmotive tuts, and once more to Ryan for TreeGen, which I used as a base for my tree! Check it out.

Phew...

Replies

• fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Reserving this spot!
  • Darkleopard
    Beautiful!. Would you throw up some flats and wires of the foliage?

Cant wait to see this finished
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Argh, thankyou! I knew I was tired enough to forget some stuff!

TQlcp.jpg

I've also added textures, because that's something I really want to improve on. I'll be trying to knock up a dirt texture soon and I'm not sure in what way I want to go about it - this scene doesn't have any sort of unified style at the moment, and most of it is fairly noisy. I think I'll sculpt the hero stuff first and see how it defines the environment.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Something I doodled and played around with it. The original just felt too green. Its looking good!

PaintOver_PC.png

EDIT: Crap you had a reference image :( I didnt even see that before, stupid IE....ah well.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The grass color needs to match the ground color a lot more, it looks really odd right now.
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Froyok pointed this out to me on twitter the other day - It's something I stopped noticing after a while, but now I'm having trouble remedying it. The terrain texture seems to shadow darker than the grass, making it pop out more Probably because the grass is using a custom shader that needs adjusting. I still have alot to play around with.

haha, haiddasalami - I appreciate the paintover though! :P In fact, I think I've lost sight of the concept a bit... Not sure if I like this colour, although it's better than before.

J2KKG.jpg

Sorry not much to update today, been busy with small things. Tomorrow - more sculpting!
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    This is looking cool! Although I gotta admit I love haiddasalami's paintover, just seems to add a lot of depth and interest into it. I guess I just like autumn/wintery stuff.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I know you are saying that you are not doing a 100% recreation of the concept (and that's fair) but I think you still have to read it more. The image looks interesting because of the terrain, its variations of textures and color, and so on. If you look at it closely you'll notice that "grassy grass" has very little do do with it...

Therefore I think you should work on the terrain further, first and foremost. Ni No Kuni on the PS3 is a great example of this.
  • kodiak
    You are off to a great start!

I don't have too much to offer other than encouragement, because it looks like you are headed in the right direction. Don't be afraid to moss up those rocks a good deal, they seem too clean right now compared to the concept.
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    pior wrote: »
    I know you are saying that you are not doing a 100% recreation of the concept (and that's fair) but I think you still have to read it more. The image looks interesting because of the terrain, its variations of textures and color, and so on. If you look at it closely you'll notice that "grassy grass" has very little do do with it...

Therefore I think you should work on the terrain further, first and foremost. Ni No Kuni on the PS3 is a great example of this.

Can't really disagree with you. It's where the leaves in the grass came from, but I was honestly hoping to cover it all up with grass/moss/ivy/rocks which is probably not the best way to get things done. I will be thinking on this.. (and googling Ni No Kuni!)
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    So yesterday I got ill, really ill, and didn't get much done. I had a fever dream that somebody at GDC tweeted some kind of holy grail of game art tips, that would let anybody make anything they imagined instantly. But his tweet was all jumbled and I had to re-tweet it in some strange way in order to divine any information from it. Every time I woke up I tried to find it on my phone, but could not.

ANYWAY so back in the world of the sane, I've been painting a new terrain texture. One that is meant to be mossy with bits of dirt and grass and small plants. I chucked the leaves on from my old texture, but they need some serious work to get right. Here's how it looks now:

pIjK0.jpgcps9t.jpg
    With leaves and Without.

And some angled tiling.
    COsva.jpg

Not happy with the colour yet, and everything needs more detail. I'm just a bit unsure how to go about it.

Oh and my work music for this was the Ni No Kuni soundtrack. I didn't realise that was the Studio Ghibli RPG! It looks gorgeous!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbpqKbFmeYU"]Ni No Kuni Original Soundtrack - YouTube[/ame]
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Sooo, Long time no thread!

I Got very ill the other week, Spent a few days getting Mass Effect 3 out of the way, and then just when I was ready to work... I got an interview! It's 3d related, but not a games industry job. :P Still it's better than being unemployed, and I start training on monday. So this thread is going to be much slower than I originally thought :)

In between sorting that out I've done some more sculpting and what feels like way more retopo that I should have for the well. I've also started a late Darksiders entry which I am blocking out now. Not sure about any of it!

Decimated sculpts
    jZgy1.jpg

Low Poly
    nF2Tt.jpg

Angelic mace blockout
    fFwZa.jpg

Just scraps really, but I wan't to keep posting!
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Edit: Oh yeah, One big thing I need to improve is my texturing. I can't seem to get a consistent style between Photosourced, Mostly Baked, and Mostly hand painted textures. Texture painting is something I really want to practice, which I will try to do with my vault scene I think. Here are some from this scene:
    You can't get consistent style between handpaint and photosources. Just say'in ;p.

What you can do on other hand is to use everything withing single texture. Bake, hand paint and photos.
    And then see what techniques can be used just on photos to make it more stylized (you can fake AO, Cavity and so on from normal map, you can use reduce noise, and high pass filter to make it look more stylized).

Main diffrence between baked-painted and photosouces are shadows and high-lights. the first one do not have any at all. That's what make the look stylized.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    it's too green at the moment, i think some nice low and high tones on the grass would make it a lot more welcoming, right now the green is smacking you across the face.
  • KingLuke24
    The environment looks great so far! I'm a nooby 3D artist (only 16) so I must ask: Where did you learn 3D art the best? And where would you recommend for younger artist?
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I think a little creek flowing down that hill would be really cool looking and break it up a tad.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think the flowers should be placed in bigger clumps, not just 3 or 4 here or there, that's how they tend to grow naturally.
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Thanks for the crits guys! I've been slow on the 3d front since I started my new job, but now I'm settled in I'm bringing back this thread!

First off, the bake for the well:

CDjol.png

I had soo many problems with this and xnormal, but I really wanted to learn xnormal so I sort of refused to let myself use anything else to bake. Got there in the end with some help. While I was stuck on that for weeks, I did alot of sketching and started speed modelling. I might make a sketch thread for my pen and paper stuff if I can keep the habit up.

Painting test! (unfinished, forever)
    fhvds.png

Speed Model test! (slower than my normal modelling!)
    YL5xE.jpg

My speed model sessions really worried me. I basically stopped treating it like speed modelling the moment I got stuck in, and I noticed my tendency to get hung up on a problem instead of trying for an alternate solution. Definitely going to do more of those in the future.

I recorded the last two here: http://www.twitch.tv/fearian/videos
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    @inside: I think I'm going to spend some time on my texturing skills, which are whats causing the difference, like you said. I think I'll be using more photo bases for the scene, but I don't want to try and stylize them, just find my own level of photorealism through some studies.

@Alberto Rdrgz: Totally agree. I think fixxing the shadows from the trees will help this, as well as getting some more plants in with some colour variation.

@BARDLER: I like this idea, because the original concept looks quite wet, but getting the effects right for the flowing water would be a challenge I only want to take after nailing everything else in the scene, so maybe, but probably not.

@ZacD: Nice, I agree.

Cheers :)
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Little stone icon that is going to be dotted around the scene as a kind of spiritual ward. This was a fun evening zbrush doodle!

9H5Kg.png
  • ladyknowles
    Offline / Send Message
    ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
    Looking great fearian :) Reminds me off these things from Spirited away!

Spirited-Away-wallpaper-spirited-away-400845_1024_768.jpg

tumblr_m8ejnkAdWM1rp23w6o2_1280.jpg
  • mbischof
    This is looking great! Keeping an eye out for this one.
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    posting in a cool thread