Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Boneyard - UDK

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
Hey PC! So I've been working on a new environment in UDK based on a concept from Halo Reach. This is actually a painting for the level called Boneyard, which is massive. I decided to take this concept and pretty much only work on what is in this frame. A few disclaimers here before the abuse begins!!

I modified the layout SLIGHTLY, so yes, I realize that it is not exactly like the level inside of Reach. I purposefully have been avoiding opening up the level in the game to try to let the painting be my only point of reference for the layout. And like most concepts, I am discovering that what may look right in the painting, turns out to be a little misleading once you start blocking things out inside 3D land.

I will stop rambling, but I am open to any and all thoughts and comments! This is obviously still a WIP, and I will be updating this thread as the level develops! Thanks everyone!!!boneyardconcept.jpg
wip1zl.jpg

Replies

• Cordell Felix
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    ouch already found you on the 2nd page, thats pc for ya! haha.
    Let's bump this beast back to the front page where it belongs :]

So far, your blockout matches the perspective well of the concept.
    I think its a good idea that you wont open the level in the actual game, it sorta makes it more of your own style if you model what you think each part is lol.
    But still, you can't just model what looks like to be a air vent when its actually a microwave oven or something. Just don't put anything in there that doesnt make sense and your clear!

I suggest you do the lighting first, There will be lighting tweaks later on in the building process but its crucial to get it done first to convey your idea and story. (plus the build time in the later stages suck ass)

Start throwing on some base metal textures down to help with the lighting if you'd like to get the real feel instead of having a lightmass baked onto a default grey texture.

Great job man, LETS SEE SOME MORE!
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Saw this on your site last year, nice start.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Nice blockout!
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    solid start, will be watching
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    That's a pretty impressive block-out, I can't wait to see what you do with the scene.
  • eazy
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    looks cool so far. keep it uuup!
  • megalmn2000
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Pretty good start!
  • marq4porsche
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Like others have said, it's a good blockout and I can't wait to see more.
  • Darkmaster
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone! Thank you for the kind words! I will do my best to keep updating here as things progress! So basically I've slapped on some BASE metal textures for some of the models, so I figured I would post some stills to show my "jumping off point" before I start detailing and putting on some kewl tileable elements on top!

I started sub-d-ing a sweet forklift tonight to throw in underneath the large platforms, which I think will be a nice addition to the warehouse feel. Again, all of the textures you see in these shots are base, and simply have colors down to begin to get a feel for the atmosphere. I'm still not done modeling everything, but I'm getting closer! I think that the walls are gonna need a lot of random wall do-dads to break up the currently ultra-lame corrugated walls. Anyways, enough chat! Here are the shots, all comments and crits are more than welcome :)

@cordell: I'll see you at the office on thursday bro!!!!

wip4o.jpg
    wip5n.jpg
    catwalka.jpg
    stairsp.jpg
  • marq4porsche
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Looks like a good start man, I can't wait to see some real textures. One thing though, the railings have a third bar going down them in the concept that yours don't have yet.
  • Darkmaster
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, haven't posted in awhile! Been caught up in freelance work mostly, but I'm still chipping away here on this environment. The PLAN is to have this thing knocked out by GDC, and I'm thinkin it's actually going to be doable. But anyways, here is my newest update. Still have a a good number of props and tileable pieces to knock out, so most of this update is texture work and UDK shenanigans. Hope you guys like it! All thoughts and comments are welcome!

u1AP8.jpg

STUtS.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Gorgeous, really! What are the two different shots showing though? Anyway, one thing I like about the concept that I'm not sure you're really showing in your scene is the super warm focal light coming from the center of the piece. It draws the eye nicely, and the other lights are clearly secondary, either cool or very weak warm lights. I hope you attempt to achieve that in your final shot! :D

Great job on all the props and pieces, they are really clean and readable :)
  • Ken Benson
    What are the two different shots showing though?

One picture has textures, the other is just lighting.

It is coming together nicely, Darkmaster. Well done.
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    White light in the center is distracting and to bright. Its blinding out the things around it. You need stronger colors in the lighting and more contrast. Its somewhat evenly lit with the exception of a few parts. Get past the "I modeled it so their for i need to show it" part of your piece and let it pop more with a stronger mood in lighting.

Looking at the concept, i even think that is to distracting with all of those ceiling lights turned on. I get that its like that for gameplay, but if its just a static screen shot, might as well make it more moody.
  • Darkmaster
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it! Haha I apologize for some of the weird lighting issues that are showing up/spec and normal conflicts with mirrored meshes. I have a few more props that need to be modeled still, but after all the propping is done I am going to be doing more for breaking up some of the large tileable pieces. There are a lot of areas in this scene that are pretty bland and boring, so I will do my best to clutter it up more, and break that tiling!

More updates to come! Thanks for the feedback everyone!
  • Darkmaster
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone! Here's another update! Still chipping away here, I'm getting closer! I still haven't even started modeling the generator in the background... So I'll probably be doing that today. Any and all thoughts and comments are welcome! Thanks everyone!

wip14c.jpg
  • PolyTech
    Looking good man more clutter and ur there.
  • walklikethis
    very neat man, i like it. could use vertex painting to get some nice spec variation on the floor. other than that, its looking close to the concept.
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Looking sexy!
    Bare in mind that the bloom in the concept is more of a yellowy orange than your current set-up though.
    Can't wait to see this finished :)
  • GragGunslinger
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    Wow! this is really fantastic!

I'd love to see a wireframe breakdown on your props (like the stairs, they're my favorite prop in your scene)

Keep up the great work!