Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci Fi Scene CE3

Replies

• scotthomer
    Its starting to look good! I think one of your main issues is visual noise, there is a lot going on, with very little in terms of a focal point. The second image works quite well because you have more of a foreground, mid ground and background. The doorway is making a nice focal point, and your eye is pulled from left to right (the direction you read) and into the doorway, making the composition work much better. Perhaps think about what is the focal point? the purpose of the scene and work around that. That being said, you've got the base elements there so run with it! Less noise, more composition. :D

Hope that helps!
  • theonebutcher
    @Scotthomer: Cheers for that man! Im unsure what to make my focal point at the moment though im taking this down a horror route so going to have a think on that. Cheers for the crits im going to have a think on them. Thanks again!

I have finished making the consoles and also an information point that is inspired from the ones from System shock.

Here is a grab of the info point:
    3xD5f.jpg

Here is a grab of the first aid point and the consoles:
    sXNXv.jpg

I have also taken some new grabs of the scene so far:

2gZvD.jpg
    CZ8iU.jpg
    Any crits or feedback will be greatly appretiated!!

Cheers!
  • Seirei
    It seems like these hovering screens could use some alpha channels, but I'm guessing that's already in the making, right? ^^

I realy like where this is going, great progress so far.
  • theonebutcher
    @seirei: cheers man glad you like it! I am currently using the alpha for the illumination. However I'm having some trouble using an alpha map with the illum shader for opacity it appears to use the alpha of the diffuse as default but this is being used for the glow so gives poor results. However when I use a unique alpha for the opacity it doesn't seem to work. Can you use glow and opacity at the same time in the illum shader in the free sdk? I have looked through the documentation and it looks like opacity isn't work properly at the moment. Does anyone know a work around for this or if (as I am hoping) I am wrong?

Cheers again! Bring on those crits :)
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    I like it, but I feel like the walls are still flat. The floor on the other hand is lovely. :3
    (Not saying your walls are bad, but atm they just aren't poping out, like the floor :) )
  • theonebutcher
    @joshflighter: cheers for the crit, I'm going to have a look to see what I can do to give the walls some more pop. Might have a look at re working some of the normal map. Or I might use some parralax if it comes to it. Cheers again!

Keep em coming!
  • theonebutcher
    Thanks again for the crits guys.
    I have added some extra geometry to the walls to try get away from the flat appearance a few of you guys have highlighted.

Here are some updated screengrabs:

oVfsI.jpg

VVWWM.jpg

Anymore crits appretiated!
    Cheers!
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    You know what, I think the ground could benefit from a bit more broad detail rather than the finer details you have at the moment. Think big panels that would be comfortable to walk on. At the moment, the floor looks kinda like you've just slapped a wall texture on it.

Also, the ceiling seems very flat and overly lit. I would focus on tightening up the contrast in your lighting and make it a little more atmospheric.

Edit - Just looked at the concept. The panels on your walls could be a little more 'rounded' and have deeper cracks in between; less hard than they are at the moment. I'm talking more in terms of the normal map at the moment. Also experiment with darkening some of your textures and getting a bit of colour in the floor. It looks sorta desaturated at the moment.

It's mainly about atmospheric tweaks to nail that composition and feeling in the concept!
  • theonebutcher
    Cheers for the crits mate! Gonna get onto working on the floor asap going to see if I can re work the normals for the walls as well! I think I'm going to completely re do the lighting as I'm not happy with it either atm going to use some alpha maps on the lights that mirror the light sources and see what that looks like.

If anyone else has any crits is love to hear em!

Cheers :)
  • theonebutcher
    Heres a bit of an update, I have re done the lighting trying to mirror the concept and improve the contrast of the lighting ive also added some projector lights masked wth Alphas.

Here are some screengrabs:

ujskV.jpg

1tFc6.jpg

EDIU6.jpg

Q4hdp.jpg

If anyone has any crits or feedback I would love to hear it, going to try and get this finished over this week!

Cheers for looking!
  • marq4porsche
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    This has come right along, I'm in love with your textures. For your lighting really push for some more contrast and go for that nice blue ambient lighting that the concept has. Right now your scene looks like it has no color at all and all of the greys are mixing together. You can add a bit more blue to the texture so you can help your lighting along.
    GzePW.jpg
    I also feel that you can push the depth of your textures a little more and get add some larger detail to complement the small details that are everywhere. The concept also has more wear and tear showing the age of the environment. The panels are also have larger gaps separating them which should read easier. The ceiling grates are also larger and easier to read. The floor panels as well. You can also get your signs to look better by adding a nice alpha channel to add more shape and detail instead of just solid rectangles. Maybe play with the medical sign shapes and do a cool new one. I hope that helps.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Not bad, not bad at all!

A bit noisy on some of the textures, making the overall scene very busy.
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    yes, really love the lighting so far. Totally agree on marq. You can push the lighting further more. Get some more contrast in your colours
  • theonebutcher
    Ah cheers guys! im goign to post an update tommorow if I get the chance with tupdated lighting ive managed to tighten the contrast some more through the TOD id love to hear what you guys think of it when its done!

Thanks again for looking!!!
  • raul
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome texturing!
  • theonebutcher
    @marq4porsche: thanks for the paintover mate! I have updated the lighting etc and attached some new screengrabs below. Thanks again for the crits!

@HP: thanks man! regarding the textures is it that there are too many details or that the spec/diffuse details are too dense?

@Iciban: Thanks again for looking dude! Tkae a look at the new grabs below and let me know what you think!

@Raul: Thanks man glad you like them, Ive been practicing texture painting lately and really been enjoying it. thanks for looking man!

Here are the updated grabs, contrast and saturation were changed through the TOD to tighten them up:

yEURY.jpg

HCHDM.jpg

IvknN.jpg

UYCsJ.jpg

Cheers again for looking and anymore crits or comments are appretiated!
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Fuck yeah, definitely a step in the right direction (more like a giant leap in the right direction).

Now just make it look lived in and have a purpose, and you're onto a winner.
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    Make the yellow more orangish... but not strait red. or else its gonna turn purple with the blue light.
    Also, make the yellow light bleeding into the main hall stronger with less falloff. That way it'll come out more when it hits the main hall.
  • theonebutcher
    Thanks for that guys! Need to finish off a few of the assets and im going to start thinking of some stuff to make it feel lived in. I Will give the orange textures a go and see how they look, they do look a bit green atm.

Thanks for the crits guys! any feedback would be awesome really want to push this as a folio piece!

Cheers again!
  • Macattackk
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    Good progress, keep it up! how did you go about making the ground fog? is it a particle effect, or did you use some kind of custom fog volume?
  • Mr_Paris
    Add more junk. Break up your walls. It's still too much of a box room imo.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    i like what you got, my only crit is on your textures, altho they look great they are pretty basic. All you have are rectangles and circles. It's a weird design choice.
  • Seirei
    God I hope my scene will turn out this good in the end... Really impressive progress and very inspirational! :)
  • theonebutcher
    @Macattackk: The ground fog is a particle system that ships with the CryENGINE SDK its a ground fog particle. Thanks glad you like the progress! Really enjoying making this!

@Mr_Paris: Im going to start detailing the scene as soon as I have the couple of remain assets completed such as the Doors and the Centre Ceiling Tile. I agree it is boxy atm, I am planning on adding some cable conduit down the centre of the roof ( a little different from the concept) and also some additional module wall sections that will snap to the existing walls. Was also thinking of creating some kind or vending machine or computer terminal to go in the recess on the side. Thanks for the crits! :)

@Alberto Rdrgz: Thanks glad you like it! They are pretty basic, I think I was to do the scene again I would add some more detailed elements to the wall panels, though when I started the project I was trying to keep to the initial concept as closely as possible. I agree some elements could have been improved with some different shapes. I will try and add some more details into the door and remaining ceiling materials. Thanks for looking! :)

@Seirei: Thanks for looking man! Glad you like it, im hoping the scene will continue to improve in the coming updates! Nice to hear that you like it though man! :)

Thanks again everyone for comments so far, they really are helping me to improve and also highlighting some areas that I had overlooked.

If anyone has anymore comments or crits I would love to hear them!

Cheers :)
  • polyly
    Use environment probe, image based lighting & screen space reflection! :D
    They makes better quality!
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    ssr is only available in the crysis 2 editor, but it really would help sell the scene in addition to some IBL.
  • theonebutcher
    Thanks for the ideas guys! I'm using an environment probe in the scene already, first time I'm using it so could have something wrong! I haven't yet used the image based lighting, how do you use this? The docs on the sdk site are light on this subject as far as I could see.

Thanks again guys!
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    environment probes = IBL
  • theonebutcher
    @Computron: Cheers man in that case I already have it setup in there, ill play around with the settings and see if I can get some better results! thanks again for looking!
  • Clarky
    I'm digging the fine details in here man. The composition of the scene is looking much better too with the colour and light grading.

I'd suggest like everyone else already has - break those finer details up on the walls, ceilings and floors with some geometry/texturing that has much less finer detail. Will make it look far more varied and less busy on the eyes.

Then get onto throwing down some props to populate and make it looked lived in.
  • theonebutcher
    @Clarky: Thanks for the comments mate! im going to get onto adding some more modular details to this over the coming weeks. Still havent decided what additional props im goign to make though!

Thanks again, Crits and comments have been great!
  • jetskee96
    Very nice scene... I really love how creative we can get with sci-fi. And I know its been mention already, but I love the metal textures you created. I even tweeted about your wip. Keep up the good work.
    https://twitter.com/#!/thegametweeter
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    yes! this is what i'm talking about! love the contrasts! maybe you shoudl add some broken pipes or a bit more props? make it feel a bit more broken/damaged. Really depends what your going for tho.
  • Sheers
    Great work my friend! Are you gonna add any other objects, like pipes, or a ceiling fluorescent light? Just wondering.
  • Serp
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    Looks great! I did a version aswell in my portfolio.
  • theonebutcher
    @Jetskee96: Thanks for looking dude and thanks for the tweet! comments are appretiated man.

@Iciban: thanks for the crits man they helped me, others had said the same thing. It looks better now though since the contrast change. Thanks for looking man! appretiate you coming back for a look!

@Sheers: thanks man! yeah detailing the scene is the name of the game now. gonna get onto really adding some modular wall details conduits/pipes etc and some kind of focal point for each end of the coridoor. Thanks for looking man!

@Serp: Thanks man! I didnt think i would have been the only one to work on those concepts!

Really hoping to get this finished over the next few weeks, had a load of family stuff on so not had any time lately! determined to get a good folio piece out of this though!

Thanks for the comments guys!
  • theonebutcher
    Been mega busy at work, but its getting a little quieter for now so going to try and get this finished off.
    Right then here is a little more progress on the scene, ive added the displays from the concept and also a cable/ piping conduit in as placeholder at the moment. Im going to go with it just need to add some more details to the model and get it textured.

Here is a grab of the new assets:

NxzZv.jpg

Crits or comments again would be great!

Cheers
  • Jhill8
    This is pretty cool, Aaron Foster is my tutor at university so I will show him this i am sure he will be really happy to see it!
  • scotthomer
    Looks really nice! The bright blue is very striking, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The smoke is very thick and detracting from the walls and floors (hiding the details). Great work!
  • theonebutcher
    @Jhill98: thanks for looking man, its an awesome concept and was thinking about making it for a while now.

@scotthomer: Cheers Scott! glad you like it! Im really liking the lighting so far tbh, but yeah the smoke is very think in the that grab, think I need to have a look at the PFX system again maybe. Really glad you like it man means a lot! :)

More progress soon guys!
  • theonebutcher
    Been a bit busy lately so progress on this has sadly been a little slow!

Currently in the process of finishing off the last few assets for this scene,
    Been thinking of what to add as focal points for the scene, going to have some kind of meaty tumourous growth spewing from the door and some medical kit and a hospital bed in the corridoor.

Things remaining to complete on this scene as far as I can tell are:

Door
    Door Frame
    Centre Ceiling Tile
    Ceiling Centre Pipe Conduit
    Door Meat? ( dont know how else to describe it!)
    Hospital Bed
    Vending Machine
    Decals (Going to approach these after the meshes are done)

I should have some more screens to post up soon.
    If anyone has any crits or comments on the work so far I would love to hear them!

Cheers!
  • jordan.kocon
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
  • Lephenix
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I have seen a preview of 'door meat' and I can say, it is quite disgusting and may make some people vomit. You have all been warned.
  • theonebutcher
    LOL! cheers for the interest guys!

Ive been working on the "door meat" so you guys know what im talking about and to prove I haven t gone mad there is a screen of the sculpt so far in Zbrush.

I have taken some inspiration from the fleshy walls in RAGE when you go to the dead city. Im planning on grunging up the area around the flesh with some decals later on and also having some tendrils that link to the roof.

Here you go:

qSPB1.jpg

Again and Crits or feedback would be great!

Cheers again!
  • theonebutcher
    LOL cheers man, got a bit more work to do, planning on adding some extra geometry in to add some stretching up the walls and some weird dangling tendons/umbilicals.

Again crits on this would be really helpful at this point guys!

Cheers!
  • theonebutcher
    Heres some more progress, ive reduced the sculpt down and dome some test bakes, ive got all the parts for the meat onto a 1024 sheet at the moment. Here is a screengrab of the meshes with the test material. I need to make some additional detail flesh meshes and some decals. As soon as the other meshes are made and baked ill move onto texturing these.

Here is a grab of the meat so far:

7Nk2P.jpg

Any crits or feedback would be really helpful please.

Cheers guys!
  • Darkleopard
    The light hitting the uh..meat feels to strong and shiny. I don't imagine meat to be that reflective to light.

Im not sure what is it about the light but that yellow/green sign is really bugging me, i think it conflicts being so close to the red from the other room. Im not sure, it just doesn't feel right. I hope someone can explain it better then me

Other then that im really enjoying the progression
  • theonebutcher
    Cheers for the crits man, glad you are enjoying it!

If anyone else has any crits or comments please let me have em!

Cheers
  • e-freak
    just dropped by to say this looks f* fantastic :) love how this brings such a great contrast to the scene's setting. Did you think about putting a few bones in there to make it pulsing? (or use vertex colors to drive some pulsing animation in the shader) also: needs Subsurface scattering and some glow :D