Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] Hammer, Gannon

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Gannon interpolator
This totally thows a wrench in my dungeon scene; but this just looks like so much fun so I'm in!

Since I've never actually played Darksiders I'm kinda out of the loop but I love the art so I'll give it a go.

My plan of attack is to gather reference on enemies and design weapons in the given themes based on the enemies design traits.

Replies

• Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Found some cool concepts of bad ass enemies with great designs that I'm heavily inspired by.

From these is where I'll draw my designs. Either demonic or.... I'm not honestly sure what the other guy falls under.

darksiders-jailer.jpg

Darksiders_tormented_gate.jpg
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I'm thinking something along these lines.

Gannon_DS2_HammerConcept.jpg
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
  • Gannon
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Last update before I go to bed

Gannon_DS2_HammerConceptWIP3.jpg
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Lookin really good! I love the fact that you put that level of thought in there and I think it really helps. Can't wait to see where this goes!

Also debating jumping in on this, but I just traveled 1300+ miles to NY and now I'm exhausted xP Tomorrow I'm gonna see if I can concept something awesome ^.^
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Looks cool so far.

Push the details in the face more.

Bulk up the handle area.

Also change your matcap to something a little easier to read.

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this.
  • ozzmeister00
    I like the concept, I'm just concerned about the weapon's balance. Would you consider moving the head back on the shaft?
  • Daven
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Just a thought. I like the faces you've got carved in so far. If you really want to use the Jailer as inspiration, maybe think about adding more "trapped souls" inside of the cage like they're trying to escape. that might lead to other things as well. Looking fantastic. I also second Ozzmeister's comment on balance.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Like this?

macewip.jpg

I'm still playing around with the overall design but I like the idea of the souls and chunkier handle will happen for sure.... This is the closest thing to character work I've done in a while so I'm trying to muscle through it as best I can.

Keep those critiques and design ideas rolling because I'm totally winging this. lol
  • ozzmeister00
    Precisely! Is that back face bit sticking to the proxies?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I'm a bit confused now as to which side is the smashy end. Both?
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Your original red hammer read as a hammer but this now reads as a backwards hammer because I guess we're used to the large end being the receiving bit.
  • Crymsix
    Okay I think you should increase the size of the half below the head of your hammer. It looks a little odd and should be increased or a piece added to make up for the weight of the object.

Great Model though bruh! :)
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    @ ozzmeister00 - I'll need to shrink the head of the hammer a little bit to fit the base proportions more closely, but the back of the hammer ( the face ) will stick out a good bit.

wiptq.jpg

Does that still matter for a hammer though if a hammer is generally impacting from one side; or is it meant to use both ends?

-*Edit*- If it needs to be able to impact on both sides I've got some ideas using the tormented gate that can support that if needed.

@ Crymsix - I agree with the half under the hammer head being too small. I was thinking about making a crazy looking spine that could come from the cage and maybe either be the handle or wrap around the current one.

I'm leaning more towards sculpting a big ass bone as the handle. Thoughts?

@ ScoobyDoofus & Habboi - The cage side would be the impact side but I see what you mean as it being a little confusing. Any ideas on how I can make this more clear?
  • njc6425
    looking good man, love the way you thought of the design, a bit different and unique to the others ive seen :)
  • ageless
    Looking good...

For the handle...

The handle should be straight
    "Orange – Grip-able surface. Death must be able to grip anywhere within this section. Please do not make this area much thicker than the proxy or Death’s hands will clip through it. Additionally, DO NOT CURVE this section."...so i think making a spine like handle might be difficult.
  • drunksgt
    awesome dude really cool design, we kind of have a similar approach to our design im doing a mouth on the end too, i swear i didnt know someone else was doing one too but im pretty sure mine is going in a different direction, wat type of colors are you going wit?
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Thanks guys! Still noodling away.

@ ageless - The spine would only be for the squash and stretch portion of the handle. It wouldnt reach the entire length of the handle so that shouldn't be an issue. The bone handle may be though, if bowing in the middle doesn't work I'll have to figure something else out..

I've got a myriad of other design ideas that I can pull from the jailers to make it work if it doesn't though. Give me an idea to work from and I'll create worlds with it.

I'm not 100% sure on colors just yet, but I'm sure there will be some yellows, pinks and purples. Pretty much trying things as I go, if it works; cool. If not; what ever. Iterations are really fast with a Go Z work flow working in tandem with dyna mesh objects .