Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Sci-Fi Research Lab Environment

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
Hey,
So my last environment got deleted by UDK after it decided to overwrite it with the new one, so I started a new environment. I am planning on having a few rooms in this along with some hallways (Lab, Specimen , apartment rooms) and this is what I have so far:

1cq6A.jpg

A few of those rooms have the same panels and floors for now, but I will get to making new variations of them and different colors.

Thanks for checking the thread out and I look forward to some suggestions and crits :)

Replies

• gsokol
    Sucks that you lost your work...I hate when that happens.

Looking pretty nice so far. I know your just starting, so you may not have gotten this far yet, but those areas could really use some props to fill the space a bit..some benches, boxes, or something.

Not sure what kind of style you are going for, but I think that the floors and walls just look too clean. Maybe just a few small scratches and such to break up the spec/reflections could help.
  • biofrost
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    I know whats it like to lose work, always hurts.

Only real thing I can crit so far is at least in the last image the ceiling seems a bit low making it feel a bit squished. IT could be the angle though.
  • pseudoBug
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    biofrost wrote: »
    I know whats it like to lose work, always hurts.

Only real thing I can crit so far is at least in the last image the ceiling seems a bit low making it feel a bit squished. IT could be the angle though.

Have a feeling the massive floor tiles might be contributing to this?

The bevels look like you could twist an ankle if you didn't watch your step.
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Digging! One thing that's killing the scale a bit for me is that the floor tiles look huge compared to the rest of the environment. I would try to make them 50% smaller and also make the bevels thinner. You can counter the repetitiveness that will cause by either vertex coloring some panels or by using a big tiling overlay texture on top of it.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with others about the scale looking off because of the big floor and ceiling tiles. I really like your lighting though, esp with the green tint :]
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone!

@ gsokol : I am going to add some vertex painting to make it look more worn out, and I am on the prop stage now so I am filling it up with props :) thanks for the suggestions!

@biofrost : Yeah it may be the angle, but either way I am probably changing everything in that room whats in there is just a placeholder for now, i'll be sure to make higher ceilings for that room.

@ pseudoBug: I agree with you, the bevels are very dangerous haha, I took some out and made it more flat like a floor normal should be ha.

@ Minos: Thanks man! When I was making it I was kind of not sure about the scaling either, it was odd, thanks for pointing that out as well, and vertex painting is coming soon :)

@ Jessica : Thanks :D It used to be really blue, but I decided to experiment and get some different colors in there.

Updated floor tile size (hopefully its better)

5DSeO.jpg

Ignore that red streak at the bottom right :p
  • pseudoBug
    Offline / Send Message
    Much better. Amazing what scale can do.

I still think you could dial the bevels down a couple more notches. If this is a lab, they're going to be wheeling devices and sensitive equipment and trays and stuff around, and aren't going to want a bunch of wide cracks to catch things on.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah totally, thanks.

I added a few props to the scene here they are:

Surveillance:

jcQ2J.png

Computer:

vJ8YM.png

and in scene (sorry if its a bit blurry)

QC6S9.jpg
  • Tokoya
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Those props are pure sex

Subbed!
  • sean_rodrigues
    Offline / Send Message
    sean_rodrigues polycounter lvl 11
    Try putting some yellow or red details on the wall. It would work with the Blue lighting on the walls. Give some indication as to what kind of lab it is. Some sort of reflection on the floor would be good.

Sean
  • pseudoBug
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe. . .neat props.

Just noticed your light shafts are yellow, but the light flare is blue. Whattup wit dat?
  • Mark Dygert
    These are looking great!
    The bevels look like you could twist an ankle if you didn't watch your step.
    I agree. Floors tend to be as smooth as possible. and any seams or tiles are very very small. Once tiles get to a certain size normally 6 inches or larger they are defined by color (think large checker pattern) but not really by depth.

You might want to carve out a strip in the center that is smoother or some details that tile in the direction of the hallway that give hints to tracks or some smooth way of moving things around, but keep the utilitarian panels on the side. I imagine rolling a cart down that hallway and how annoying and potentially hazardous it would be "bump, bump, bump..." even with the toned down bevels.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Tokoya: Thanks ! :)

@ sean_rodrigues: That's a good idea, i'll see what I can do. I'm working on the dx11 imaged based reflections for the floors, so hopefully it improves soon.

@ psuedoBug: Thank you, and I agree haha, idk what happened, I think I forgot to change the color when I tweaked the colors a bit. I gotta change that asap :p

@ Mark: Thanks man! I am really tempted to redo the floors completely. Do you recommend just a new floor or just some fixing?
  • pseudoBug
    Offline / Send Message
    New floor!

I thing the scene and yourself will benefit greatly by rethinking and redoing that floor.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    New Floor incoming:

t4qVF.jpg

More props now!
  • lordsarum
    really nice work, I would suggest to lift the sealing a bit higher, it looks a bit like its lower then a human hight, but of course if its to late it still looks awsome, maybe add some assets that would indicate a scale of the room so you can feel the actual hight.

but overall really nice work
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks lordsarum, I just raised the ceiling along with adding some more support. I added a texture to the lights and I changed the greenish tint to the light color:)

uNDoD.jpg
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update:

New
    - Added light beams from the smaller lights
    - Made both the floors and the walls dirty
    - Made new floors and walls for Room 01

DpSd9.jpg

RWwmE.png

To-Do
    - Make a prop list
    - Raise the ceiling for Room 01
    - Add more props to the Hallway

I hope to here some suggestions and critiques, thanks for all t he help you guys have been giving me already :)
  • Lephenix
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    DELETED POST (same as the 2nd one).
  • Lephenix
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    I thought the last lighting was looking better, but that's probably because the walls and the floors are dirty. Looking forward to see your props. I love that Science fiction style.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a little bit, and thanks for the Feedback Lephenix.

I am starting to work on the Autopsy Room, still a lot to do but this is what I have so far:

ScreenShot00000.png
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update:

iVGDL.jpg

I am trying to fill this room in with some props now, well the whole environment now, but there is a lot more to do.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay its been a few weeks since I last updated so I am going to post some changes and additions :)

Props:

6967497697_f686b41bae_c.jpg
    H2Mir.png

The Environment:

KQkcS.jpg

and

rWglW.jpg

Now the blood is there for a reason . There will be some radioactive and interesting things on the table... I have yet to put them on there yet but there is a purpose :D A lot to be done on this though.
  • nathanbarrett
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    I don't think the cloths work - they're too uniform, flat, and you can tell they're the same mesh duplicated over and over again. Have you tried using the cloth modifier in UDK?
  • Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    Lost-Artist89 polycounter lvl 10
    some really nice stuff here, and i agree with the cloth. everything else seems fairly solid though so good job :)

only crit would be when your presenting your assets, remove the chromatic aberation/cheezy photofilter/radial blur simulating a fairly rubbish camera lens.... its great to see all your detail, you dont need to hide it with post :) its not an accurate depiction of what it would actually look like in the end

EDIT:

also, i thought that mechanical arm was going to be much bigger than it actually was when i noticed it in the scene. might be worth scaling these things up abit? just personal preference you have all that lovley detail and its only a couple inches tall
  • Ra6ga5ka
    Offline / Send Message
    Ra6ga5ka polycounter lvl 9
    The drape(I dont knew the word, but leo.org told me) of the cloth dont look authentic to me. Also can I see that they'r duplicated. I think if u make the drape (folding of the cloth) more uniform an not such spacial the cloth will become more authentic.
    sorry for the bad english and I hope u understand what u wanted to tell you.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    @ NathanBarret - I agree, I'm not sure why I exactly added the cloth, and no I haven't I may have to check that out.

@ Lost-Artist89 - Thanks! I gotta get better at presenting in Marmoset :p Sorry about that. I could scale the Mech arm up as well :)

@ rschmidt - No worries man I understand :) and your right , I may just replace the cloth with something different or delete them all together.