Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bunch of Character Sculpts [WIP]

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ZamM90 polycounter lvl 5
Hi Guys,

Here are a few WIP things I’ve been working on for a project. Looking for crit and all things commentable.

It’s mainly a bunch of work all at different stages of development, but any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

This Character was a bit rushed out. Its since gone into udk for a game prototype a few of us are working on.
Enemy1.png?dl=1
Enemy4.png?dl=1

This female character is what im really lookign for input on. Shes loosely based on the Rachel Morgan chracter from the hollows series. I think its the face aand body, im looking for input as i evolve the sculpt.
Rachel2.png?dl=1Rachel1.png?dl=1

Here's her concept:
rachel.png?dl=1

This will become my interpretation of Poseidon. Really early stages atm, fleshing out the sections and droppign in a few details and stuff, and i Have loads of extras to add. The concept is below.
Poseidon1.png?dl=1
Poseidon2.png?dl=1

Here's the Concept
Posideon_Front.png?dl=1

This character was also a little rushed as its a main character for the same game prototype as above. Had to devleope this chracter and the top male, with no concept art and on the fly.
NewChar1.png?dl=1
NewChar2.png?dl=1

Replies

• ZamM90
    Offline / Send Message
    ZamM90 polycounter lvl 5
    Updates of both Characters

PoseUpdate1.png?dl=1
    Poseidon2.png?dl=1

RachelFaceUpdate1.png?dl=1

RachelUpdate1.png?dl=1
  • murphy7
    I dont wan't to sound harsh, but the anatomy looks pretty wrong. That female character has a really really tiny head compared to her body.

refoyk8j.jpg

Compared to Andrew Loomis' Ideal Female Proportions

As you can see your head is really really tiny. There are also some other anatomy mistakes, you should take care of those.

The sculpting itself is fine. I love all those details and the folds are quite good. Altough that tiny head really makes it look bad.
  • ZamM90
    Offline / Send Message
    ZamM90 polycounter lvl 5
    Murphy7, thnaks for the post. Your quite right, thanks for the head thing, not sure how i missed that, i always worried about the legs beign over long but never noticed the head. I've tweaked the head and shortened the legs up a tad, ignore the hair its a dummy sculpt.

RachelUpdate1.png?dl=1
  • murphy7
    ZamM90 wrote: »
    Murphy7, thnaks for the post. Your quite right, thanks for the head thing, not sure how i missed that, i always worried about the legs beign over long but never noticed the head. I've tweaked the head and shortened the legs up a tad, ignore the hair its a dummy sculpt.

RachelUpdate1.png?dl=1

Awesome, a 100^6 better result. The hands and boots are still a tad too big though.
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    It's a good start but it still lacking refinement.

The proportions are really off; think how many heads high your characters are. 7 heads is good, 8 is heroic. Also the arms are a bit short, the wrists should be at the same level as the crotch when put to the side.

As for the heads themselves, they also need more refinement. Watch out for your proportions and distances like the size of the heads themselves and those eyes are too close to each other. The distance between them are an eye width apart. The arches above the eye socket are just too exaggerated. Also the lips look like they're tacked on and not built from a good form. When sculpting a head, you have to have good form first and keep in mind the underlying bone structure. I suggest to look at some traditional clay sculpting videos in youtube.

Good luck
  • ZamM90
    Offline / Send Message
    ZamM90 polycounter lvl 5
    Hey Murphy7 and garriola83, thanks for the input, was a little tough had to save multiple versions on this, can you look at the body please, haven't shaped the face yet.

She's still slightly long legged but im not sure, i think i kind of like the extra length of the leg its about 1/4 head.

RachelUpdate2.png?dl=1
  • lildragn
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    Aside from the very apparent proportions issues, you should really turn on Perspective mode in Z, having it off really isn't helping your sculpting.

Also are you going for stylized characters are naturally correct ones? Reason I ask is if you're going for stylized you're not quite hitting the mark due to the numerous anatomy issues head to toe. I know it's rushed, but at least hit the anatomy correctly (or close to correct) as possible. Everything else will be gravy after that :)

Good luck on the project.

~t
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    if you dont mind, i made a paintover. it addresses a lot of the issues visually so you have a list of things to knock out.
    6702582709_c3a64189e8_b.jpg

i suggest looking at other artists portfolios, like Sze Jones for example, for some inspiration and so on.

good luck
  • ZamM90
    Offline / Send Message
    ZamM90 polycounter lvl 5
    Hi Guys, thanks a lot for looking at my work and taking the time to let me know your opinions and spotting the things I’ve missed, really appreciate it. Been working on it all day so please let me know what you think.

Garriola83 – thanks for the paint over, that was great, I had done a lot through the day before I got the post, however, it was really incite full and ive started to address the things you’ve pointed out through the day and just now, I’ve toned down the throat and some volume to her thighs etc.

Lildragn – thanks for the pointers! Also thanks for the artist reference its awesome! Great work on the dungeon and dragons characters there great!
    Here’s what I’ve got so far (rendered in orto to show the heights properly)

10.jpg?dl=1
  • ZamM90
    Offline / Send Message
    ZamM90 polycounter lvl 5
    Hi guys, it’s been a while since I last posted. I had a game prototype due in that took all my time, and we’ve since started a bunch of other projects too so the character creation has been on the backburner, but here some development on the female character. There hairs just place holder and conceptualising stuff really, nothing new, just messing around with fibermesh :)

Would love some crit and any input!

Cheers

RachelUpdates.png?dl=1
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Hey ZamM90, the sculpt is looking nice so far. There is still something off with the face, I think you could exagerate the feminine qualities a bit more. Could give better crits with a close up of the face.
  • ZamM90
    Offline / Send Message
    ZamM90 polycounter lvl 5
    Hey SCB, thanks for checking it out, sure here's some close ups of the face, let me know, maybe the lower part of the ear needs to be brought in slightly, to narrow the lower half of the face, also thinking about dropping the eyes slightly, did a half line check and the middle of the eye is ever so slighly high.

I did over exaggerate the face originally, but ti looked to wrong (see above). I'm struggling with the subtly of the female face tbh.

RachelFaceUpdate2.jpg?dl=1
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Hope you don't mind, I did a paintover. These suggestions are to try an imporve the overall shape, which I think could make a quick and effective difference:
    paintover2.jpg