Home Technical Talk

[CE3] Graphical Artifacts and GPU Shutdown

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
PogoP polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys,

Having a really frustrating problem with CE3 at the moment. My computer is working perfectly fine, and I'm able to play any game at maximum settings for hours on end, as well as use Zbrush, Max, Photoshop etc, with no crashes and no graphical artifacts whatsoever.

However, whenever I use CE3 for more than 10/15 mins, I start to get these weird graphical artifacts all over the screen, and seconds later, my GPU shuts down. What's weird is that my computer stays ON, but the graphics card just shuts down.

I would like to know why this is specifically happening with Cryengine. It's infuriating! It doesn't happen with any other software, so I don't really want to invest in a new graphics card just yet.

Any ideas guys? My only thought is that my GPU is dying, but it's odd that it doesnt get artifacts with anything else.

Oh, here's a screenshot:

2012-01-26%2021.00.28.jpg

Replies

• Brendan
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    If it was dying you'd know it for sure when doing everything else.

Probably just a driver issue or some bug on Crytek's part. DirectX settings or nVidia settings (if applicable) maybe?
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I get that exact same problem in BF3 with a slight overclock. It hasn't broken my card yet, and It only effects bf3, so I don't know if I should be worried.
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    It's really weird. I find it strange that a bug in the engine could cause a GPU to shut down? I didn't know software could have such unintentional control over hardware!
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Well CE3 does seem to require alot of RAM when using the editor, especially if you have the higher configs selected. Make sure all other apps are closed and nothing uneeded in running in the background and see how that goes.
    Id assume all your drivers/direct x is all upto date?
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    However, whenever I use CE3 for more than 10/15 mins, I start to get these weird graphical artifacts all over the screen, and seconds later, my GPU shuts down. What's weird is that my computer stays ON, but the graphics card just shuts down.
    Have you checked your gpu temperature? once it happened to me with titan quest back in the day with my 8600 and it was overheating, but every other game would run just fine
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys,

Just a little update.

Unfortunately, I'm still having issues. I'm going to investigate trying out different drivers tonight, but if that all doesn't work... I'm just going to invest in a new graphics card.

I've noticed this ONLY happens when I'm painting material layers on terrain in Cryengine... Never happens at any other time. Very, very odd!
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Managed to fix this by reverting to an older Nvidia driver. Very odd indeed!