Home General Discussion

Need new mouse

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
allmighty_thunder polycounter lvl 13
On my mouse the middle mouse button barely works, resulting in frustrating clickathons while using max, are there any suggestion on mice. also i was wondering if people had experience with 3d navigators and if those are worth it or just lumps of expensive plastic.

Replies

• Ahrkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    3d navigators are not good for modeling/ etc. Pretty simple math... 3 input devices... 2 hands. Means you'll have to switch back and forth with one hand.
  • Ken Benson
    I don't know what the best models in mice are these days, but I would suggest something that can control sensitivity on the fly. That's a feature I use often. Beyond that its really down to personal preference and the way you use a mouse.

I bought a 3d navigator a while back. Really fun for about 1 day. I had the most fun flying around Google Earth. After about a week I realized I wasn't using it anymore and packaged it back up.

Ultimately i work a lot faster using the mouse to navigate through my projects. There is a lot more control on how fast and how far you move/rotate inside of programs using the mouse. And if you use hotkeys (like you should) you end up moving your hands back and forth between your keyboard, mouse, and 3d navigation device.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    I have a Logitech G500 - it's really comfortable and smooth, and you can control the sensitivity instantly because the buttons to increase or decrease it are right on the mouse. Logitech mx518 is also really good, and a little cheaper too. Just don't get a wireless mouse xD
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I have the MX518 and love it. Fits perfect in my hand and just good to use. Suggest going to like Staples/Office Depot and checking some mice out. Want to see what type of grip you have as that affects mouse choice or atleast in my opinion.
  • VPrime
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    I like the Performance MX. Ergonomic, wireless with built in batteyr. Can charge and use at the same time.
    Lots of buttons.

Only gripe I have is my middle mouse button is dying after a couple years of use.. But Pretty sure it has a 3 or 5 year warranty.
  • PhattyEwok
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    I just picked up the Mad Catz Rat 7 pretty awesome and customizable. Some people are turned off by its shape though
  • allmighty_thunder
    Offline / Send Message
    allmighty_thunder polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for all the feedback i will be sure to look into all of those at the moment i have a razer lachesis and have made a temporary fix by remapping the middle-mouse buton to one of the side buttons, but it quite awkward and definitely a temporary fix, i wonder if one of the old-school 3 button mice would be good?

like this one:

http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.asp?sku=2545791&pagemode=ca
  • Hexidine
    both at work I use a crappy dell mouse for like 5 bucks xD works best for me actually.
    I founf that it really depends on the person, I hate useing a fancy mouse for modelling.. for gaming on the other hand...
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I have the MX518 and love it. Fits perfect in my hand and just good to use. Suggest going to like Staples/Office Depot and checking some mice out. Want to see what type of grip you have as that affects mouse choice or atleast in my opinion.

I second this. I've been using mine for about 5 years and it's never let me down. Apparently they've stopped manufacturing it though. The new version is the Logitech G400. The physical shape is exactly the same though.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I have a LogiCool/Logitech G700. My first was a MX1000 (like 3 of them MMB kept breaking) then the MX Revolution (2 of them base station issues).

This one has no base station and the rechargeable battery can be replaced. Unlike the MX Rev. Charges via USB and can run wired/wireless.
  • Futzy
    I got a G500 about a month ago and I love it. You can use the buttons on it for macros in PS and Max. In photoshop I have the dpi +/- buttons set to brush size and the back/forward buttons to zoom.

Not saying you need to spend $50 on a mouse, but I would at least recommend one that has that lip that your thumb rests on on mice like the G500. It has made a huge difference to me not having my thumb dragging on my pad while working on stuff.

My experience with 3D navigators has not been good, but I haven't used one enough to give a detailed opinion.
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    I love Logitech's mice. I use a Logitech V220 cordless optical mouse. It's not fancy, but it works well and gets the job done. :D
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    im on with haiddasalami about the mx518, they cost very little now, feel very comfortable in the hand all 5 buttons are easily accessible, accurate and got good pads on the bottom that glide easily over most surfaces with very little friction.

been using the same one for 6 years still no issues with it all.

also doubt you would have issues with mmb, im a maya users so that button gets used every few seconds for basic nav, and widgtless transforms and a few years of that it is still fine.
  • gsokol
    Logitech G500 rocks my socks.

Super comfortable. I love the unlocking scroll wheel...super awesome for quick scrolling through web pages and long documents and such. Also, has the ability to switch dpi on the fly. The cool thing is that each "level" of dpi is customizable. By default you have 3 levels but I'm pretty sure you can have it do up to 6 or 7. It has weights, which are kinda nerdy, but I learned that I like my mouse to be really heavy, so thats cool too.

Also I should mention that in the past, I have had some mice where the middle mouse button doesn't work with max/maya, which deterred me from getting a nicer mouse for the longest time, but the middle mouse button on this works just fine (most probably do by now)

It will be a loooong time before I consider getting a different mouse.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    G400

Or g500 if you have the money.
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Unless you're a competitive gamer I definitely suggest the Logitech Performance Mouse MX. It's a little expensive but works like a charm and is rechargeable. I love it.

http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/mice-pointers/mice/devices/5845

19678.png
  • Kbrom12
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    Razer Death Adder all day long, best upgrade I've done in a while along with my Black Widow keybard

Razer_deathadder_gaming_mouse-thumb-450x379.jpg
  • arrangemonk
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    hardcore peope open the mouse and solder in a new switch
    as i did several times with my first optical mouse XD

5172886.jpg
    if the ball was only for scrolling i would recomend this

but this is a normal trackball and makes me angry
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Fuse wrote: »
    Unless you're a competitive gamer I definitely suggest the Logitech Performance Mouse MX. It's a little expensive but works like a charm and is rechargeable. I love it.

http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/mice-pointers/mice/devices/5845

19678.png

Yep this is a nice one! I have the predecessor (well two of them) of this mouse. The MX Revolution, which sadly is no longer made but this mouse up here that Fuse suggested added with uberoptions (allows you to setup any key on the mouse to be used as basically any function you want and unlocks all options from logitechs setpoint software) for you.

It is incredibly handy as you can reconfigure buttons per application. I took the back button and set it as middle mouse button when in 3ds max and i haven't had wrist pain in a VERY long time. I don't know if that was it or if some other fixes I made helped or a combination but it is indeed a great thing to have.

Logitech mice last forever too. I bought these MX revolutions (1 for home and 1 for work) on a black friday sale for half off in November of 2007. So you will get your moneys worth for sure.

So constant use for 5 years and I have had no issues with accuracy, battery or anything else. Great products.

I also game with them. Perhaps not the best gaming mouse but it gets the job done with no problems.
  • dii
    Yep this is a nice one! I have the predecessor (well two of them) of this mouse. The MX Revolution, which sadly is no longer made but this mouse up here that Fuse suggested added with uberoptions (allows you to setup any key on the mouse to be used as basically any function you want and unlocks all options from logitechs setpoint software) for you.
    I've been buying logitech wireless rechargable mice since about as long as they've been making them and with the exception of the MX1000, they all had a lifespan of 10-18 months max for me with the most typical problem being that one of the buttons will fail. I bought the MX Revolution twice and both times the left mouse button began double clicking on single click (you cannot imagine how infuriating this is) after about a year of constant use. Maybe I'm just a really abusive mouse user though.

(Feel I should note that Logitech has a 3 limited warranty for most of their mice. So it's not a total loss if it breaks in a year unless you're as horribly impatient as I am)

I actually used it for competitive PVP in WoW (sort of a retarded statement but still) and did well with it. So I'd say it's fine as a gaming mouse depending on the game.

And yes most logitech mice are useless without UberOptions so make sure you get it.

Eventually after my last Revolution failed I decided not to bother with them anymore and moved onto the Razer Naga which I've had for a couple years now:

razer-naga-gallery1.jpg

One step closer to dual wielding keyboards!

Comes highly recommended by me for anyone who feels like they don't have enough hotkeys. Memorizing that much shit is a bit tedious but invaluable once you've got a nice efficient hotkey setup.
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, uberoptins look handy! Cheers guys.

Unfortunately I almost exclusively use my stylus when working. Modeling, sculpting, painting. So I hardly put my mouse through the paces.

But I am still very satisfied.
  • Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I like the performance MX a lot, but if I were to buy one right now I'd try the G700.

I have no plans on "upgrading" though... No reason to really, unless I see some fancy new mouse tech pop up that I must try :p
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    dii wrote: »
    razer-naga-gallery1.jpg

One step closer to dual wielding keyboards!

Comes highly recommended by me for anyone who feels like they don't have enough hotkeys. Memorizing that much shit is a bit tedious but invaluable once you've got a nice efficient hotkey setup.

I've got that! It's great for hotkeying in Max.
  • MadnessImport
    Im using this http://www.computerdirectcorp.com/cdproductcatalog/images/products/LTKFCAB217-ECM-2LM9BK-UP.jpg

And its godly

I gave up my fancy precise 7 button dell mouse for This no named iOne 3 button i got for 4$. Fits perfectly in my hand and no discomfort ever with the palm or pinky finger
    Its not fancy or flashy but its served me well when modeling

Gona upgrade to the Razor Mumba soon and Ive been thinking about having this one encased with gold and mounted on a trophy stand.
  • EarthQuake
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I just got this guy last week:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HWRJBM/ref=asc_df_B002HWRJBM1876025?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B002HWRJBM"]Amazon.com: Logitech Wireless Performance Mouse MX for PC and Mac: Electronics[/ame]

I love it, love it, love it. Wired or wireless, also.

Edit:

Or I could have read the posts before me and notice that it was talked about a couple of times already. In that case, just chiming in to say the Performance MX is great.
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i'm in the market for a new one myself, just wondering if anyone else is running on a glass desk?

i've got a logtitec mx620 and it is absolutely terrible even on frosted glass.
    my solution has been to tape some black paper to the underside of the desk, but even that doesnt seem to work well.
  • EarthQuake
    I have one of those at work. They never die.

I've had one or two die after massive use, but i'll always buy the same one again!

They can be found new on eBay btw even though newegg doesn't carry them anymore. I'm sure the updated version is fine too though. I stick with them because they are the most comfortable, best for wrist pain that i've found.
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I used to use a Saitek Cyborg, but it broke so I got a cheaper mouse to tie me over till pay day. That was a year ago, and this lower end mouse, Sharkoon X7 has been amazing. It comes with adjustable weights so you can get your perfect gliding weight, plus it has 6 quick adjust DPIs which also makes it good for gaming.

I have to admit though, I am really tempted by a Saitek R.A.T. 7, my mate has got one and he says its amazing and it looks really cool. Very customizable too.
  • dissonance
    the mx518 is the king of mice.
  • fullofclovers
    Offline / Send Message
    fullofclovers polygon
    @ MikeF - My desk is glass, and I'm using the Logitech Performance MX and it works just fine. No hiccups ever.
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    is that a wired or wireless, fullofclovers?
  • fullofclovers
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Yes the performance mouse mx works on glass flawlessly
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    thanks guys, i guess thats what i'm gonna go with.

the mx620 seems to become unresponsive unless i use some sort of a mouse pad, mouse clicks stop working and the axis seem to lock in place until i pick up and set it down again...