Offline / Send Message
Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
Hello everyone,

I am working on a creature based on Dado Almeida's concept sketch found here:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1483076&postcount=11809

DadoAlmeida_AlienPage.jpg

Here is some of my early progress:

AlienBird_creature_wip.jpg

Trying to follow the concept as close as possible but having only profile view of the alien, I had to implement some of my own design choices.

Comments and critiques are most welcome, let me know what you guys think of it!

Replies

• Azkur
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    i think its pretty much spot on on the concept but as my personal opinion i think the connection between his head and the horn should be worked out in a diferent way it kinda seems to me like its glued on him other than that the only other thing that comes to me is the Adams apple thing which seems weird and the neck winkles are not working for me. keep the good work its looking good so far
  • Alex3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    the connection between his head and the horn should be worked out in a diferent way it kinda seems to me like its glued on him

I second that. I think the skin should try to wrap around the horn.
    I know this is an alien bird, but creatures usually have similar structures. Check out this rhino horns
    White-Rhino-Head.jpg
  • Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    @Azkur Appreciate the feedback bud! I followed your suggestion and made a better transition between the horn and the creature's head. It totally looks much better than it did before! I also got rid of the weird bump as it was bothering me too..

@Alex3d Great reference image, thanks for the tip man! As much as I like to follow a concept, I realize that functionality is quite important in adding some believability to pretty much any design, especially if it's alien.

I am currently at this stage:

AlienBird_creature_wip02.jpg

Also did a retopo of the mesh - it was pretty bad prior to this (no loops around the eyes):

AlienCreature_NewTopo.jpg
  • Azkur
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    nice i agree it looks better but i like the teeth in the older version it gave him more character anyway keep the good up the good work
  • CodeFather
    Offline / Send Message
    CodeFather polycounter lvl 15
    Very cool little birdy , mate ! It turns out grate so far, you've captured the concept perfectly !
    Try using the pinch brush more , it is great tool ! The forms of the sculpt all read equally soft right now, maybe it will benefit if you pinch here and there and try to differentiate the beak material from the fleshhy parts.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    only thing I noticed off was in the concept the beak is higher than the head. Yours is straight across