Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] James Condliffe, Character Artist

jimmyjaba
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
jimmyjaba polycounter lvl 5
Hello all, thought I'd start a new thread with my almost finsihed portfolio. Still a few things to sort out but I was hoping to get some feed back on the layout and such. Thanks.

Link www.jcportfolio.com

Replies

• Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Hey, your pictures take a really long time to load, and I would probably get rid of the home page and just make the main page your gallery page so people can see all your artwork immediately. Imo your picture tabs would be better just typed out, "Gallery", or "Resume", so dumb people like me don't get confused looking for your work xD

Your resume link appears to be broken, at least for me.

Some of your image labeling is funny, like 'Female Boxer with hand wraps'. I mean, she is obviously female and she is obviously wearing hand wraps. At most, you could just label it 'Boxer', but I don't even know if that's necessary. Usually you can let images speak for themselves xD

You should also probably edit your About page, since it is pretty full of spelling errors, funny word choice, and bad grammar. For example, I think you meant "mesmerized" when you said "memorized", etc.
  • jimmyjaba
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, as I said there are some things to sort, the spelling being one of them and the CV link . I'll have a rethink as to the image titles, the images seem to load fine here ast work and at home. I'll check a few more machines and if there still a problem have a play and try and sort that as well. Thanks for taking a look, really appreciate it.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Takes forever to load, I'm at work trying to load it. Waited for 10-20 seconds, still white screen, then I closed it down.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    The loading times were fine for me, but you should still look into the issue. I second the idea of getting rid of the home page, and have it just open straight to your thumbnails.

I think the formatting for the name of the project and whatnot is a little weird. When I scrolled down, at first glance I didn't know if correlated to the images above or below. Simply changing the spacing between the bottom of the thumbnails and the next header could help.

I think the dog pedestal model is actually more interesting and a better piece than the dog itself. At the very least get rid of the smoke effects on there, crop the pedestal off a bit, and/or give a bit more space above the dog.

Also, I got a 404 on the resume
  • sybrix
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 12
    The images loaded fine for me on Firefox on school lab computers, if that helps. I get a 404 on the "download CV" link as well.

I would maybe rethink your icons... Some of them are a bit cryptic (the portfolio one I had no idea what it was until I moused over it). Maybe just replace them with text?

Models and presentation looked okay. Others already mentioned the title/labeling issue.

Good stuff!
  • Alex3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Free design suggestion for ya!
    web.jpg

Dumb down your web as much as possible, it has to be fast and all the info people need to know should be right in their face. I don't wish to click on every separate thumbnail, wait for it to load and hope for the best - Yawn. This template should be relatively easy to recreate using css+php; good luck!
  • jimmyjaba
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks guys for the feedback. I'm loving the design alex3d. I'll see what I can sort out, watch this space. thanks again!
  • megalmn2000
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    I've just download one picture and it's around 1Mo!!!
    Totally too heavy, not good for us, not good for you, it will cost bandwidth for nothing. I would suggest to go on Photoshop and instead of saving in a full JPEG format, go to "Save for web / devices...", choose JPEG with 60% quality. You'll see, you won't see a difference in term of quality and the size of the picture will decrease dramatically.
  • jimmyjaba
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question,should I keep the police dog model. I'm thinking it is one of my worst pieces, but it does show I can do more than just humanoid models. What do you guys think? Maybe create a page for other works and keep it in.
  • Alex3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah sure, you can keep them in Miscellaneous section...
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    You could keep it in a Misc. section. However, someone recently told me that if I personally don't like a piece, I shouldn't keep it in my port just for the sake of showing variety. Cuz' if you submit an application and get rejected, you're just gonna keep telling yourself, "It was that one piece!!" So I'd say if you don't like it, get rid of it, and make a better piece that shows you can do animals too :)