Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Big Lebowski Revisited [WIP]

WipEout
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
WipEout polycounter lvl 15
Hey, guys, long time no see.

So I decided to go back and revisit my old models, the main trio from The Big Lebowski. I modeled the Dude, Walter, and Donny as part of my senior portfolio in 2008. After almost 4 years I decided I don't like the way they look anymore, so I'm updating them. The plan is that they end up Wii spec, or maybe Telltale Spec-- I haven't completely decided on that-- around 3k polies each, though. I'm thinking I want to bake the normals into the diffuse, though, to test diffuse-only results.

The Dude's first, so here's his hi-poly sculpt. Any suggestions before I paint the diffuse would be greatly appreciated.

DMann_Dude_WIP.jpg

DMann_Dude_head_WIP.jpg

I hope you like it.

Comments and crits are always welcome.

Replies

• BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    His body looks really off. He doesn't give off that fat lazy vibe off. He kind of looks like a new age Jesus lol.
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I like the old ones as far as style. :D His chin hair has a bit too much brevity at the moment. /wink Maybe thin it out a bit? I think his face was a bit more relaxed, droopy.
  • 16bit
    Offline / Send Message
    16bit polycounter lvl 13
    I like the hair.

I can't remember if he has sunglasses in the movie or not.
  • WipEout
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER - The Dude IS the new age Jesus! :D And I'll think about his bulk/size-- since he's a caricature he has to be noticeably weaker-looking than Walter, and not look fit. I'm worried that with such a cartoony style, Jeff Bridges' "broad-shouldered" can skirt the line of "muscular" too easily.

Dimfist - I was kinda thinking that too (about the goatee), but I'm worried that finer hair = more detail than a cartoony caricature would need. I'll see if I can't play with it a bit more, thanks!

16bit - He does have sunglasses at a couple points in the movie, but I thought they were too similar to Walter's when I first made these. I might revisit that prop as well once I get the other two characters (re)done.

Thanks for the comments/crits, guys-- keep them coming.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    WipEout wrote: »
    BARDLER - The Dude IS the new age Jesus! :D And I'll think about his bulk/size-- since he's a caricature he has to be noticeably weaker-looking than Walter, and not look fit. I'm worried that with such a cartoony style, Jeff Bridges' "broad-shouldered" can skirt the line of "muscular" too easily.

You're putting too much effort into blowing off crits with excuses and not enough into making the model as good as it could be. His crits are solid, you should listen to him and make the changes. You do not yet have the likeness in the face or body. Also consider your level of stylization; your hair is already slightly more stylised than the rest of the design. Looking forward to seeing more.
  • WipEout
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, I didn't realize saying "I'll see if I can do what you asked" then explaining my thought process and concerns was blowing off crits. It's all in how you read people's comments, I suppose. Thanks for the feedback, I'll see what I can do.
  • Julmust
    Andreas wrote: »
    You're putting too much effort into blowing off crits with excuses and not enough into making the model as good as it could be. His crits are solid, you should listen to him and make the changes. You do not yet have the likeness in the face or body. Also consider your level of stylization; your hair is already slightly more stylised than the rest of the design. Looking forward to seeing more.

Sorry Andreas, but you come off as a bit of a jackass. It was a perfectly valid response to a valid crit. Showing his thought process should always be the valid response to crits. A crit without context is bad.

The dude is far from fat or have a belly for that matter -- he has loose clothing that makes him look puffy.

I also think you are exaggerating the wrong features. I know that not a lot of pictures on google search yields the dude with sun glasses, but I think the sun glasses define him.

Also, make sure you check out how to do caricatures and how to capture likeness because I'm not getting the jeff bridges vibe at all. Note the triangle of likness in this face: lower lip and the edge of the eyes.
  • WipEout
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Julmust-- The more I look at him, the more I feel that I made this guy too gaunt. My original design worked, I think, in that I could do away with accurate facial details in 2D, but I always get too detail-oriented when sculpting :P I'm thinking of broadening the nose and maybe the shoulders (per BARDLER's suggestion), and making his face puffier overall, to get back to the broader nose and smoother/rounder cheeks of the original design. Right now I feel like he's a bit "Jeff Bridges on crack" rather than The Dude.

Thanks for the crits!