Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Prince of Persia TTT Animation

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Umar6419 polycounter lvl 7
This is my Most recent animation in 3ds Max.The Reference was tony Jaa,,

Any Critiques will be great help ,,, No use of motion Capturing or Dynamics,,, Cloth is Also Key Framed ...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-BE5R0fyZY"]Prince of Persia Animation - YouTube[/ame]

:poly124:

Stop laughing....

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good effort, there doesnt seem to be much storing up of power before the big spinning jumps so it almost looks like hes being pulled around on wires
  • Robbyh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The body has no weight.
    a better rig. and a better study of animation could improve this by a few 100%
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Cool that you're interested in animation and getting into difficult stuff... But there's a ton to learn! You can't just jump in and slap keys down and expect the moment to look natural, or fast, or realistic. Study! [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Animators-Survival-Kit-Richard-Williams/dp/0571202284"]Amazon.com: The Animator's Survival Kit (9780571202287): Richard Williams: Books[/ame]
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    You've got cool ideas, now its time to execute them properly. You need to focus more on anticipation and follow through. Try to over-exaggerate the motion, it will help you sell it more and makes it less robotic...
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    GESTURE!
    get some more gesture in each pose man, that will make your animations look much better.
    Great start though, I can see this getting better and better
  • AsaNYC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC polycounter lvl 12
    Everything that's been said sounds good. I'd personally recommend finding Muay Boran/Thai instructional videos on the web. The anticipation and follow-through that's been mentioned will be found there. Heel and hip pivots are a good place to start. Watching some more of the techniques on a fundamental level will help you figure out how to offset your curves to avoid the static pose-to-pose look this has.

If you use Firefox, try the downloadhelper add-on to save videos from streaming sites, and then play them in slo-mo with something like VLC.
  • Umar6419
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate you all guyz for such great critiques......

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJEzPB72mus&feature=related"]Tony Jaa Demonstration - YouTube[/ame]
    that was the reference...
    and @SupRore its my self practice,, its not for commercial or any other purpose... nobody is jumping but these are practicing animations...
    I cant retweak this animation as i animate straight ahead and thr are many keys on each frame.. SO will work again on something new......

• zoombapup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd highly recommend going back and trying this again. You need to keep at peices that don't work to the point where you can't find anything new to learn.

So delete all the keys and start again. Think of the momentum of the limbs and the arcs they generate on the reference. Notice how most of the big movements either flow nicely in spirals (like gymnastics) or have a very fast initial kick motion to give them the energy to do the tumble.

Have a look at sports science material for reference. They have a lot of work on making motions use the least energy for the best performance. See if you can find any reference for gymnastic movements like tumbles, as they will probably be the best guide for movement flow.

Seriously, giving up on this now isn't going to teach you anything.
  • Umar6419
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDHIumedvKs"]Prince of Persia Revelations - YouTube[/ame]

This one is a bit improved version.....
  • Assassin0323
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Assassin0323 polycounter lvl 7
    Umar6419,

Its a good start, but you need to give your character some weight. This animation seems really floaty to me and it also looks like there are some problems with your weights. Mainly in the shoulders they seems very pinched.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    id say its a good start but like everyone else is saying, you need to focus on weight a lot more. as of now it looks like you're just trying to match poses, but animation is a lot more than that. you need to focus on how he is moving not just to get from one position to another, but the transition phases of beginning and ending a move. otherwise it just looks really robotic.

EDIT: also i dont know if this is your rig or not but in general it needs tweaking. the pinching of the arm when it bends doesnt look good at all
  • Umar6419
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umar6419,

Its a good start, but you need to give your character some weight. This animation seems really floaty to me and it also looks like there are some problems with your weights. Mainly in the shoulders they seems very pinched.

Weight is always a problem for me.....:( .....Next will work hard on heavy ball bouncing or something like that to re remember basics quickly.. thanks.
  • Assassin0323
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Assassin0323 polycounter lvl 7
    Umar6419,

Back in the days of my schooling and animation classes we did all animations in passes. Just getting the key poses, then the breakdown poses, then halving between the key poses and breakdown poses (adding overlapping action and weight as you go). Then adjust the curves in the Curve Editor (if your using maya). Basically I would do that and trust me it takes a lot of tweaking haha.

Is this project personal or for a class? If it is a personal project I would suggest that you may want to go back and start fresh with some strong key poses and break it down from there.

I have a bunch of books that I use for reference when I am animating, but my go to book is always the Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Animators-Survival-Kit-Richard-Williams/dp/0571202284/"]Amazon.com: The Animator's Survival Kit (9780571202287): Richard Williams: Books[/ame]

Best of luck man and don't get discouraged we all have to start somewhere right? :)
  • Umar6419
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umar6419,

Back in the days of my schooling and animation classes we did all animations in passes. Just getting the key poses, then the breakdown poses, then halving between the key poses and breakdown poses (adding overlapping action and weight as you go). Then adjust the curves in the Curve Editor (if your using maya). Basically I would do that and trust me it takes a lot of tweaking haha.

Is this project personal or for a class? If it is a personal project I would suggest that you may want to go back and start fresh with some strong key poses and break it down from there.

I have a bunch of books that I use for reference when I am animating, but my go to book is always the Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

Amazon.com: The Animator's Survival Kit (9780571202287): Richard Williams: Books

Best of luck man and don't get discouraged we all have to start somewhere right? :)

Its neither a Personal Project nor for any class or i don't attend any animation classes..What i am Showing you is self learned yet and this 15 sec animation is for practice...But Please I Have request that write your thoughts about animation instead of suggesting me this book .. YouTube is full of Richard William lectures and his Animations and His examples for us..and I have watched them but i am pretty sure that even after watching his book a new person will not be able to create even a good walk cycle.. Until he will try himself.. So Please explaining about what is wrong in the animation or what is totally missing or is necessary instead of suggesting a complete book will be Appreciated..Hope you understand.. :thumbup:
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very interesting, you should look at tricking videos when animating those flips, i do tricking on my sparetime and while you got the basics on how the tricks look you should try to look into how weight and the movement of arms and legs correspond to that shift in weight,

here is a video of a few friends of mine training, should give you some help

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erxvZVebB5s"]Task Tricking - Jacke & Jesper - Ondskan - YouTube[/ame]
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Spitfire wrote: »
    Very interesting, you should look at tricking videos when animating those flips, i do tricking on my sparetime and while you got the basics on how the tricks look you should try to look into how weight and the movement of arms and legs correspond to that shift in weight,

Task Tricking - Jacke & Jesper - Ondskan - YouTube Video

Wow, Spitfire, those are some really neat moves right there!

They are real eye candy for animators :D

But back to the topic. Umar, I also agree with all the above, study references, and study weight shifting etc.

Its a good start, but your character is just shifting from one pose to the other atm. Try to add weight, overlap, follow-through etc.

Keep practicing mate :)
  • Umar6419
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spitfire wrote: »

Task Tricking - Jacke & Jesper - Ondskan - YouTube

Hey Thanks for Great Video, Will use as reference when retouching flips..:thumbup::poly124: