Home Technical Talk

UV Edit. "Pick Texture" loading time

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
SimonT interpolator
Hi Guys,

i always wondered why 3ds max needs that much time (5-10 seconds) to load a texture (12 mb, tga) into the UV Editor. I tested it from my HDD and also directly from a server (which would explain it when it would work from my hdd).

A normal image viewer (e.g. xnview) needs less then one second to show the image.

uvedit.jpg

Replies

• SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    I answered the question myself. The point is the Bitmap Pager. In the background it packs bitmaps into an temporary directory and that takes a lot time - but saves some memory. I could increase the uv textures loading time by 5 times.

pager off: 766ms
    pager on: 5984ms

The pager can be disabled with

Rendering > Render Setup > "Bitmap Performance and Memory Options" > Setup.. > [ ] Page Large Images to Disk
  • tokidokizenzen
    Offline / Send Message
    tokidokizenzen polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the fix. I was having this problem today in Max 2012. For some reason I never had the lag in earlier versions of Max.

BTW, to find the option in 2012 do this:
    Top Menu > Rendering > Render.. > Common Tab > Common Parameters Rollout > Bitmap Performance and Memory Options > Bitmap Proxies [Setup]
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    And be aware of that Max is sometimes reactivating this option - don't know why. Then i have to deactive it again and restart Max.