Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Various hand Painted Props

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Gannon interpolator
Super excited for Diablo 3 and I've been in a hand painted mood lately so I figured I'd maybe try something in that style.

Here's the base of what I've got so far.

chestwip2.jpg

I think it's save to assume this is a little higher res than the props in game but I figured it's easier to pull back the res than add in. Right now the chests being mirrored in quarters to save some texture space on a 512.

C&C welcome, paint overs appreciated.

Replies

• Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Cool! :D Maybe add some more contrast - darks, and lights especially I think. Everything just seems a bit dim right now.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Pushed the saturation a little bit and that helped brighten things up a bit and I put some polish on the metal bits. Still looking a little stonular though so I'll work that out in a bit.

chestwip.jpg

Gooing to get that occlusion in there next.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    I think she meant like this... You need to bring it out of the dark. It looks like it is sitting in shadow and your presentation suffering because of it. Show off those textures man!

And yeah you definitely need an AO of some sort.

chestwip.jpg
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Seems a bit bright for Diablo

I feel like this fits a little better.

chestwip.jpg

May be the final, I'm going to noodle around with some engraving ideas for the front of the lock and on the middle portion. On to the next prop!
  • marq4porsche
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    I still think you should lighten the render some, it's almost too dark to read. I also feel like an ao pass would help this piece a lot. you have very little in the way of contrast and depth in the shadows now. Overall your texture painting is solid, but I can also see the twinning on the side and the front too for that matter. I would say it's ok to give the planks their own uv space. I know you're trying to keep the maps small but it's hurting it imo. You're getting there man, it looks like a very promising start!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Tone back the clouds overlay some. I really think overlaying an AO bake on top would help it a lot.

The wood plank value variation is nice. I might scale that back some. Also on the planks add some depth to the separation areas. They blend together some.

Looking good otherwise.
  • Redfender
    i third ao. the metal looks marbly to me (clouds) and the hard highlights on the edges look too uniform for worn/beaten metal. still a nice little piece just push it further.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Roger that guys; I pushed the texture to be brighter and I'll reduce the clouds and vary up the high lights. I'm working on modeling the tower that everythings going to fit on at the moment, screen shots later tonight.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Also add some gold or Pulp Fiction style glow to the inside.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Ha ha, what the hell was in the damn brief case?! Must have been a dick tank.

Reduced the clouds, tweaked the high lights, painted in some AO and moving on to other statics for now. I've got almost the rest of the scene blocked out but for now just a close up.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Last screen shot of the night. Everything in the scenes UVs are laid out except the stone tower, I'll knock out the roof tomorrow and then start texturing the other props.

There's a few proportion issues in comparison to the concept but it feels like it's all within reason. I'll know for sure once I get the roof on those support beams
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good so far. The block out looks solid. Just watch the roof height being too similar. In the reference it varies a lot.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    The last shot of the chest looks a lot better! Also, nice choice of concept - looks like it'll be really fun to model :]
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    is this the same wood texture you made for your other props?

i think you've destroyed the texture with the latest update. it looks way to 'color burnt' and lost a lot of the nice painting you had. the colors are clamped and yellow. the concept you just posted has an awesome soft palette. I would love to see you match it more.

metal still doesn't read as metal. it is too soft and i think some of the dings and scratches are too small. none of it reads from the desired camera distance you posted most recently.

there is nothing indicating how this chest was built or stays together. no bolts/rivets/nails in any of the metal, and the bottom corners i would expect some sort of corner piece to hold the metal strips, not dove-tailed corners of metal.
  • Michael Knubben
    Agreed with Sectaurs on every point he makes, to which I'd add that whatever you did to the wood also affects the metal. That random looking, splotchy colour burn look to things, it's flattening things despite the high contrast because there's no identifiable light source.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Oh noes, I'll bring it to a mid way point for everyone and I'll add in some more bolts and such. The ones I've got are hidden when its closed. I was trying to hit a Diablo 3 style of texture so I wasn't aiming to make this look just like the reference on that stance. I'll try to post some screen shots with my next post on the style and mood I'm looking for.

I can make some corner pieces and what not and add them into the texture. I've got a little more space to spare so that won't be a big deal.

Good feed back guys, I really appreciate it.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Quick grab of the wood paneled roof, I need to put the bottom on it.

I just made the texture then cut up a plane so I could get the silhouette. Texture's very much WIP. I just wanted to get the basic shapes down so I could get the model started.

More to come later.

chestwip.jpg
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Didn't get to work on this aaaaallllll weekend because I was hanging out with family and all I could think about was getting back to this scene.

Lost some work, have to redo the wood paneled roof because I don't have internet at home and I couldn't sync with Drop box so I accidently overwrote the file. :poly122:

I can get that knocked out really quickly again anyways.

Let me know what you guys think!
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    So many good post lately, but I'm still working on my scene here. Here's some sample textures to check out and critique and some shots of the scene.

I seperated the stones on the platform and I'll give them their own texture space instead of trying to get it to work with the tiling stone texture.

I'm trying to keep the props a little more detailed to contrast the tower but I'm not sold on it. Let me know what you guys think.

texturesample.jpg

sorry for giant pics >_>
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    I love your painting style! :D However I think the colors are not really working. Everything is kindof desaturated and flat, and the whole scene is too monochromatic I think. I feel like you could push what you see in the concept in order for your work to pop out some more. For example, the crates, barrels, and chests could be warmer, deeper browns, while the planking they sit on top of could be a little more desaturated and dry-looking. I see some greens, and a little purple in the stone textures from your concept, which you could also push, especially in the stones that are in the center circle area. The roof could be more mauve. In general you could try to use all the greens, purples, and browns throughout the piece for cohesiveness, but more of certain colors in certain areas (that make sense?? haha) The metals in your scene seem to be a pretty dull gray when I think it would match better with everything to be a more gold color, but that is just my opinion. Also I might point out that the spec you sortof painted in on those big brown floor stones kindof makes them look like bronze - maybe it shouldn't be quite so pearlescent. Keep going, good updates! :D
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    You've got some great points ( and a great painting style also ) and I'll push the saturation and Look into fixing the brown pavers spec.

I forgot to post the ref shots I've been looking at before. Here's some I've been using to fit my stuff into a D3 kind of style.

http://www.beefjack.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/diablo-3.jpg (stone)
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/media/screenshots/?view#/dh-at-the-gates (wood)
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/media/screenshots/?view#/wizard-024 (wood)
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/media/screenshots/?view#/barb-009 (stone)

edit: paragraphs/bullet points are easier to read >_>
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    ah, woops sorry, haha xD nice refs!!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say get some simple lighting PLUG http://blog.environmentartist.com/?p=205 in the scene. Not sure if this is going to be in Maya, UDK, CyEngine, etc. Jessica's point about the textures feeling flat is valid. But once you light it that might change things a good amount.

One small gripe I noticed on the center floor tiles is that it's lit like a wall texture (highlights from the top and shadows from the bottom) but it's a floor texture. You might want to tweak the texture out to incorporate that a bit.

An accent color (saturated blue, red, etc) on a tarp or flag would really help focus the eye.

It's looking real good though. Just curious to see how it'll read with lighting in the scene.
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    I agree jeffro that you need some sort of lighting/shadows. The textures look great, and I like your style, but the scene is pretty hard to read as it is now.

An idea to make it less flat would be to make an AO pass for the whole thing when you're done. Just make a new UV set and bake it all. :)

I will continue to follow this thread!
    Good luck!
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    towerwip.jpg

People kept talking about getting lights and stuff on it soooooooo?

I used the sky master material that comes with the UDK to generate the colors and everything else is built it. I'll probably swap out the clouds for something a bit more billowing or wispy.

The rock face is pretty Wippey and I haven't imported everything yet, I just wanted the big stuff in until I sort the rest of it all out.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Much better! Tone done or off the SSAO and knock out the center area.
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Looking good.

I think you should fix the UVs of the top platform so that the tiling texture makes a bit more sense.

Other than that you're matching the concept well.
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    That's much better! :)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks sweet with the lighting!! :D
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    I'm liking where this is going. Keep it up. :)
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Minor update, spent a good bit of time reworking the UVs of the tower to better line up after the addition of the posts and the pieces that I cut out from the top. Also added the support beams for the room, Cannon, and little chucks of broken stone.

towertip.jpg

I'll bang out the lamp post of the top of the stairs, and some lamps to hang where the yellow light pools are and then I'll get back to texturing. C&C welcome as always.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Turn off the SSAO or at least turn it down.

Looking nice man. You need to add a splash of color asap.

The texture on your stairs needs work too. :D
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Ah, crap, I forgot about that, Thanks.

Yeah I agree, the stairs are looking a little flat. Maybe If I add some wicked spikes could really seperate them from the tower. I might replace the skeleton in the concept with a statue of a fist with breast on it as well? :)
  • Limewax
    Offline / Send Message
    Limewax polycounter lvl 6
    I demand you update this.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    The tower is gone. Long story short a roller coaster ate my home work. :(

I had pretty much the entire tower finished and was working on setting it into an environment. I've been set back so far since I didn't have a recent enough back up that I've decided to move on to another small project. I'll post that up instead.

macewip.jpg

If they find my phone they said they'd give me a call to return it but that was almost 2 weeks ago now so it's probably not going to happen. I died a little inside when I realized how much work I'd lost.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Quick update before I go home to sleep for a few hours.
  • toxic_h2o
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    Nooo the tower was looking good! I do like the new weapon though, I think its the mixture between futuristic and old tech that is cool. :)
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Hey man, sorry about the tower. It was looking great. I'd be charmed to find a small niche in a game with that much personality. Keep at it, seems like the practice is paying off.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I am really sorry to hear about your tower, it was turning out cool :( But this new prop that you have here is also very nice so far, so keep it up!! :D
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Man that's the worst! Dropbox your work! Moving on.

Hammer silhouette looks good. Not sold on the color scheme yet though. Maybe darken up the wood.
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Hope you get some detail maps on that.
  • elementrix
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    aww, to bad to hear about the tower, love that concept.

On the hammer, maybe you could paint in some AO on the wood where the metal parts wrap around so they feel more attached?
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Finally back from a mini vacation and able to work again. Need crits, I changed a few things based on the feed back earlier.

Here's where I'm at currently. I chose this project because I needed practice painting metal. The woods really basic as well as the cloth handle. I'll start added more rust and scratches when I've gotten the edge quality and interior forms where they needs to be.
    macewip3.jpg
    hydraulicmaceuv.jpg

I'm a little unsure where to go with what I've got from here. I want to get as much life out of this as the concept by MEX. I love the colors used in all of the allods concept art.
  • elementrix
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    Could you also post the concept art? Would be handy for critique.

Also, why are you laying out your UV's like that? Looks like all the littple spikes are practically the same and there also seems to be quite a bit of space left.

Seems to me that metal would have a lot more contrast/highlights. I do see some highlights on little edges but the light brown/yellow metal looks pretty dull. Maybe you could also try to lightly paint some blurred environment reflections?
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Here's the concept

mexmaces.jpg

I did the spikes like that so I could paint rust and scratches on them a little more unique.

Pretty much everything's a base material at the moment, like if it were brand new right off the machine floor. Trying to get the lighting the forms right at the moment. Once that's all in place I'll start adding in weathering details like rust, scratches and what ever else.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Just going to call this finished and move on, C&C welcome

macefinal.jpg
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Here's a new piece i'm working on. Reference (middle pic) and images incoming. Sorry I don't remember the artists name. :(

realsonkesdungeon.jpg
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Couple of WIP shots of various things from the scene.

shaftwip3.jpg
    Mostly blocked out scene.

woodwip.jpg
    HP Wood I'm getting ready to back down and warp out for more interesting silhouette.

modwall.jpg

Modular Rock wall that I'm experimenting with a detect edge filter on the normal map to get edge highlights to make them pop harder. Needs refinement.

Nothing has a diffuse map and all the materials are just 50% greys with basic spec/power plugged in. Hoping to finish this scene by friday.

C&C welcome as always; as well as ideas to experiment with creating a stylized sculpt with diffuse.
  • Ack Master
    great work so far, i lvoe the texture painting. its really coming along
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Thanks Ack Master :)

More baking, placing, tweaking.

wipmineshaft3.jpg