Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] The Duel

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Scythe greentooth
Hello everybody !

It's in the midst of this hot summer night and with Nekrogoblikon's latest album pumping through my ears that I finally let myself showing what I'm currently working on.

This time, 2 char, a fight scene, with some fx and such, but as always it's low poly and usable in game. I think this'll be the final pose. All the texture need to be done apart from the normal, but everything else should be final so far. I may go back in maya to smooth some of the skin due to my poor skinning. Total polycount is about ~19k, each char are 5-6k, rest is environment

Anyway i'm wondering, does anyone know a good method to learn how to create alpha hair ? I know there's the cool varga tutorial out there, but so far his method hasn't really been helpful to me ;) I really need to put a lot of work on those texture right now, as well as redoing that crappy lightning strike ;3

Comments and crits are more than welcome, friends !

theduel.jpg

zefrei.jpg

demonspawn.jpg

posingt.jpg

posingsuitejpg.jpg

Replies

• Caldria
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    Looks great so far, the female kinda reminds me of the female wizard concepts for diablo 3.
    I love how you got the ice to look.
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Oh damn, can't believe I forgot to write that ! Yeah the female is totally inspired by the various D3 artworks and screenshots :) As for the Ice, thank you, but I still feel it's not looking like i'd like to, so i must find a way to make it more Icey and convicing.
  • Caldria
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    I think the ice looks quite stylized atm :D
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work but the pose seems off to me.

Can't tell if she's just landing, or if she's getting ready to jump back. It feels very static.

I think having both feet planted makes it feel to concrete.

I think his tex is too plain too. Looks like stone maybe. But the ice around him is so lush and has great colors. If he's made of ice it just doesn't match. Everything in the scene has great colors but he is just plain.
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Thanks a lot :) I see what you mean about the posing, i'll correct that somehow :p For the demon, I haven't started texturing it, here's only a simple ambient with the normal ^^" i'll prolly texture him around a reddish color to contrast with the ice :)
  • dregoloth
    This is looking pretty good, and most of the modelling looks pretty solid to me, but I have to agree with baddcog; try working a little more on defining the character's materials. The one thing I have to add is that the limb deformation looks really wonky; try giving this article a read: http://wiki.polycount.com/LimbTopology?highlight=%28%5CbCategoryTopology%5Cb%29
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Ho wow, thank you, really ! I'll study these and make some change in my model. As for material and texture, well it's in complete work atm, I just redid the hair and the texture of the face, and rebaked all my normal because the previous one where too aliased~

Thanks for the feedback guys, really important :)
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Hello there, I haven't been able to work alot on it the past days, but I'll drop the almost final version of the Wizard. I redid some stuff like one of the arms, part of the hair, added some glow, made a real spec (well, tried anyway) so here it it :)

zefrei3.jpg

Just a screengrab from marmoset, god I love this soft. Next i'll be making a nice little pedestal with lightnings and shit, afterward I'm probably gonna start texturing the demons. As he doesn't have many material I'll have to figure out how to do, it'll be pretty quick.

Stay around and listen~
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Looks fantastic man! I can't wait too see the rest!
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Hello, I finally finished a posing and illustration for the Wizard first. I will certainly do the demon after, and then a composition and all, but I have some stuff to take care of before so I at least wanted a complete illustration.

If I may quote William Congreve, " Hell hath no Fury like a woman scorned"

demonbane.jpg

Now I can finally start working on my reel ;s