Home Featured Artwork

Deus Ex Corridor

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
Hi all!

Final:
PresentationDeusEx.jpg

After a lot of work going into my previous scene I decided to put it on the shelf.
Seeing as I didn't have a concept to go after, I found myself thinking more about what to do, than how to do it.
It led to a lot of inconsistensies and a lot of time wasted.
So this time I decided to go for a scene that had a very good concept.

I chose this one:
art2.jpg

While browsing around for inspiration and concept art I noticed that JasonLavoie made a version of it as well, and I really loved what he had done with it, and the design choices he had made.

One thing that I really wanted to change was the big numbers on the door, seeing as the typo in the concept is really horrible if you ask me.
I didn't wanna steal the font Jason used so I chose a similar looking one.

I will try to take this to a pretty clean finish. Some rust and subtle wear and tear, similar to the concept.

Right now it's a bit too colorful and bright, but most of the textures are still just color blocks without detail.

FirstWIP.jpg

Please let me know what you think!

Replies

• Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Added a ceiling and changed the lighting a bit.

secondWIP.jpg
  • Pix
    Nice to see another take on this concept, solid work so far, keep going :D
  • Paragon
    Very nice. Love to see some reflections on the floor like in the concept. What are you using to render it?
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! :) Glad you like it so far!

I use marmoset to render it for now. I'm not sure if it's possible to have reflections there. If it isn't , I'll take it into CryEngine 3. :)
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    I really love your textures man! I can never get my textures looking that subtle!
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Looks sexy man! I say dirt up them walls and stuff a tad but more. Btw, why haven't anyone hired you yet? ;)
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words guys! :) I really appreciate it!
    I've worked a bit more on the textures now and added the lights which will be brighter later on :)

thirdWIP.jpg
  • SkyWay
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
    Great start!

Also, nice touch with the Japanese writing on the wall. Gotta watch this thread for further awesomeness :D
  • Kosai106
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    Looks sexy man! I say dirt up them walls and stuff a tad but more. Btw, why haven't anyone hired you yet? ;)

As far as I know, he's working at Ubisoft Massive. :P

On topic: This looks beautiful my friend, keep up the awesome work!
  • euclidius
    Offline / Send Message
    euclidius polycounter lvl 17
    I also liked what Jason Lavoie did for his version- but this one is also looking great :)
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    euclidius wrote: »
    I also liked what Jason Lavoie did for his version- but this one is also looking great :)

Definitely.

Great start, looking clean and real nice. Can't wait to see it with lighting.
  • tehrobster2
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Great work dude! I really like the scene so far, I can not wait to see some more!
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Great work so far. I like it how you are keeping your materials pretty matte, unlike the concept, that has pretty strong specular intensities. I actually prefer it this way. I think it gives your environment a lot of personality. It would be nice if a few panels here and there had different gloss values though, just for variation.
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really glad you guys like it! :)

There isn't a lot of progress to show today. I got a new wall segment in and I've made some tweaks to the textures varying gloss and spec values across segments and adding some minor dirt here and there. Thanks for that Minotaur0. :)

I will probably lower the ceiling tomorrow, because I think the scene is a bit tall compared to the concept. I'm not sure if I like it this way though. But yeah, I'll see tomorrow. :)

Here's the WIP shot:
    fourthWIP.jpg

Cheers!
  • Orb
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    clean! i like it!
  • e-freak
    mh you mentioned putting it into cryengine? would love to see this with the screenspace reflecetions going on (more resembling the first picture) and some proper cubemaps :) modeling looks really clean - awesome work!
  • Stertman
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! :)
    e-freak wrote: »
    mh you mentioned putting it into cryengine? would love to see this with the screenspace reflecetions going on (more resembling the first picture) and some proper cubemaps :) modeling looks really clean - awesome work!

As soon as I have all the pieces for the scene I will put it in CDK. I just like working in Marmoset for as long as possible. Don't know why really. ^^

Yeah, I really wanna see this scene with some reflections going on as well. :)
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, I think I'm ready to take this into CDK/SDK now.
    I lowered the ceiling, added the missing panels and made some minor adjustments to the textures.
    Once I have the meshes and materials set up in CDK I will tweak the textures further. :)

This is what I have so far (still in Marmoset):

fifthWIP.jpg
  • robot
    sex!

keep up the good work! :)
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Cool! Can't wait to see it lit in CDK.
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    I got the scene loaded up in cryengine and applied the textures.

I'm not happy with neither the lighting, post processing or material set up, so I have quite the job ahead of me. ^^

Here's what I have so far:

firstCDK.jpg

I really need to learn how to take proper screenshots in CDK.. I tried using e_screenshot=1, but the screenshots ended up really weird. If anyone can help me get around in cryengine I'd love to get some advice on this scene and how to take screenshots. :)

Cheers!
  • Mathew O
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Even with everything that you're not happy with it still looks great and I'm sure once you've nailed the CryEngine it'll be beautiful, plus I love the lil chinese scribblings :D

Subbed!
  • Ravenok
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really nice work man, the reflection in the floor really makes a difference. I think it's lighting and some really really subtle grime that will nail this one. The concept seems to have really subtle grime at the top right corner.

Keep going man :) this will be great, and don't forget to do a post-mortem once you're done ;)
  • airage
    Offline / Send Message
    airage polycounter lvl 13
    Really nice work so far, now you just need to get the materials more look like in marmoset :)
    For screenshots you can use "r_getscreenshot 2" and "r_displayinfo=0" to get rid of the text on top.
  • e-freak
    quick feedback: use more cubemaps (i suppose you're not using C2SDK but the free one? (C2 would have SSR to offer ontop of that)) to help get the proper reflections (at least for the screenshot).

r_DisplayInfo 0
    r_GetScreenshot 1 (usually I'd just press Print Screen though)

if you wanna try e_Screenshot, which fucks a lot with reflections but offers unlimited resolution:
    r_PostMSAA 0 (weird previewstamp)
    r_HDRVignetting 0 (tiles)
  • toxic_h2o
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    dude sexy textures. I would eat off the floor of that hallway. :) Keep it up!
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for your nice comments and your help!
    I decided to move over to the Sandbox version instead of the free SDK. I found it had some pros and cons, but mainly pros. :)
    One thing I really liked was that everything felt clearer and the truer reflections.

This is what I have now:
    CryEngineProgress.jpg

What do you think?
    I will continue working on the textures, but I feel the reflections are about what I want them to be. :)
    What I really need help with is the lighting and post processing.
    Any help or input is grately appreciated!
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Very nice. When you're done, render out a 1920 x 1080 for me. I smell a new wallpaper.
  • euclidius
    Offline / Send Message
    this looks good man- I'm really likin this project. As for lighting I can think you can play around as much as you can on the combination of more warm and less cool lights or vice versa for contrast but I think eigther way it will look great.

Like what you said- it's probably a good point to leave it as is and move on into another project and come back to it later with fresh eyes, that's what I ussually do- just to not overdo things :)
  • e-freak
    hey! great improvement there and the reflections sure look a lot better with dynamic ssr :)

On the lighting:
    i think you should go for a much more teal lightsource and use high HDR values on the lights (and make sure they cast shadows!).
    a small fog volume wouldn't hurt either to seperate the background more (i assume you are in a vis area to block the time of day out entirely?)

On the scene:
    If you have the patience left, I'd model a crate from the game, just to break the floor up a little bit and have a shadow casting object in the scene. it would also help selling this as a typical Deus Ex set piece, where you could use that crate to hide from a guard :)

Last:
    I'd put a Cell Soldier from C2 behind that corner and a shadow casting light, so it looks like there's one of the Deus Ex guards coming around the corner (without you having to model an entire character ;)) and frame that with a nice filmy camera (low fov like 30 and some depth of field).
  • Envelope
    Hello. This looks super rad, and since you were asking for some lighting pointers, I figured I'd provide some thoughts. Hopefully someone else here can help you with the technical stuff :)

First off, if you squint your eyes and compare your image, versus the concept...the biggest thing I see is the colors. Try to get the yellows to be closer to the yellows in your concept. Also, that greenish-blue light is a rad color light, dont miss that opportunity to nail that.

art2_colors.jpg

Second, try to darken up those hand rails a bit and capture a bit of that dark area in the mid ground. I think it will punch out the background a little nicer too.

art2_paintover.jpg

Keep it up! Its looking awesome.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Baahhh this is so much nicer than my stab at it :) Everything has such a nice weight to it!

Envelope's paintover I think nails it right on the head, specially the lighting, it's creating some much needed contrast, while still keeping the overall unique / clean feel of the environment.

Honestly, some great work here, really interesting to see how other's go about this, I'm learning a lot from this :)
  • Pix
    It's nice to see how each artist interprets concept :D
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    nice really liking your materials and the contrast and lighting in the last shot, if you can apply some of the changes in the paintover it will be spot on and pretty sweet looking.

could i possible get a peek at your texture sheets, kinda curious what you got going on.
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

@Envelope: Your paintover really helped me with this update! Thank you!

@e-freak: Thank you for your advice regarding the presentation! I will definately try them out once I'm closer to completion!

@JasonLavoie: Thanks man! I don't agree with you, but thanks! The scenes are just a bit different. :) I was really awed by your scene!

@Habboi: I can definately render out at a higher resolution for you! No problem! :)

@euclidius: Thanks for the advice! But I think I'm gonna keep going with the color scheme I have going now. I really like the paintover Envelope did. ^^

I've added a box prop now. Texture's still a bit WIP, but it works as a placeholder.
    I also changed the lighting to match the paintover a bit better.

Here's what I have so far:
    CryEngineProgress2.jpg

Please let me know what you think!

Cheers! :)
  • euclidius
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's in a really good state - I'm just waiting for the high resolution shots as well :P All I gotta say is " ship it! " :D
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    euclidius wrote: »
    I think it's in a really good state - I'm just waiting for the high resolution shots as well :P All I gotta say is " ship it! " :D

Thanks! :-)
    Got some texture tweaks left, but soon! ^^
  • moof
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    looks better than the game.

;)
  • Mathew O
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I'm in love, I think I'm gonna need this as a wallpaper also : P
  • Darkrusader
    Looking super clean man! Great work!
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really nice work man :) Looks great! Love the vignette as well, gives a bit more depth to the scene.
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Having played that part of the game recently I must say it's nicely done. Also good use of the DX11 reflection stuff. Really useful in this piece.
  • IxenonI
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    Hey man,

this looks really good already. I would get rid of the blue sign, it looks like a streetsign and breaks the futuristic feel of the scene. Maybe add a yellow background and change the shape a bit.

Your scene would definetly improve by adding detail bumpmaps via the shader in Cryengine, it will give you that extra bit of surface definition close up.

Some of the lights would benefit from some projected lightshafts...
  • polyly
    We're waiting update of CDK. Current CDK doesn't support Crysis2 graphics update. No SSR now. :P
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys! :)
    I added a small, small detail bump to one of the materials, and I also changed the color of the sign in the back.
    I also added projected light shafts to a few of the lights just like you said IxenonI. Thanks a lot!

I'm calling this scene done now.
    I bet I could have tweaked it a lot more, but it's at a place where I'm happy with it, and I'm happy with the amount of time I spent on it.

This is the result:
    PresentationDeusEx.jpg

I learned a lot by making this scene. I learned a new approach to texturing and modeling. I made most of it in nDo, but I made a few high polies to get some of the corners and more "complex" shapes for the normal map. I think this really sped up the process.
    I also learned more about CryEngine, which is a really nice engine to present things in.

What I wish I could have done differently is the way I planned the scene.
    I had to go back a few times to adjust models so they would tile better.
    If I had blocked the whole scene out from the start before I started modeling and texturing I would have saved quite a bit of time. Lesson learned!

I really hope you like the outcome of this! And again, I'm really, really grateful for all your feedback, advice and kind words!

Cheers!
  • Azkur
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome environment just finished Deus Ex a couple of days ago and have to say its right on the spot!
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    man final scene looks sweet the light pouring in from the staircase really helps it and the extra contrast.

im kinda curious if you did most of your normals via nDo how you got nice edges and corners on props such as the silverish bar that goes across the door or was that a HP and you use ndo on most of the planar surfaces in your lowpoly.
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    man final scene looks sweet the light pouring in from the staircase really helps it and the extra contrast.

im kinda curious if you did most of your normals via nDo how you got nice edges and corners on props such as the silverish bar that goes across the door or was that a HP and you use ndo on most of the planar surfaces in your lowpoly.

Thank you! :-)
    I used nDdo for most of the planar surfaces and details just like you said. The floor was made entirely in nDo for example.
    I had to use HPs for the more "complex" shapes. :-)