Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Treasure Chest WIP

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
Hey everyone,

New project underway. Treasure Chest. Current Tri count 1500. Looking for critiques everywhere, but mostly texturing. :)

chestWIP.jpg

Replies

• kid908
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The celtic is really out of place here. The chest has a Caribbean feel to it and the sword is loosely Caribbean like. I'd say add more ware marks where the chest's top make contact with the bottom half as, atleast hollywood suggests, people slam chests close quite often, and I'd think that would create some ware there. Metal looks like metal and wood resembles wood, so :thumbup:

On the left side of the chest, is the wood and metal suppose to bend outward into the sword?
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate the comment Kid908. Yea I have to agree with the Celtic Knots being out of place and adding more ware to the lid and the contact point. As for your last comment I'm not 100% sure what you meant as far as the left side of the chest and the bending?
  • kid908
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just look at your original pic in that area. You'll see the wood and metal bend outward.

chestwip.jpg
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Did you just open the image, take a screenshot, upload it to an image hosting site, and then post it back here again?
  • kid908
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was because the aspect ratio of the saved image was all stretch. I think I forgot to crop the image...

edit: this is what the saved image came out as...

chestwip.jpg
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh okay. yea the sword bends with the flow of the chest.
  • MatthewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think your AO is just messed up a little behind the sword on the left so it makes the top of the chest look like it bends... might also just be the render.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Not everything of this mesh needs to be together. Think about it as if it were a real chest, those swords would be separate from the chest as well as the skulls possibly. Like how you have the rings separate I think, the rest would follow. This should also reduce the poly count. When come times to finalize, bake out the AO so the element intersection looks more believable.

This should help avoid those bending or warping issues you have like with the swords and skulls.

Kid908 is right. It looks mixed up in theme as well as being a bit to cluttered. Try looking at some reference of the type your more going for. If its a pirate chest, get some sand and vegetation up on it, that'll help give it some life. Don't forget some normals on it either, it's looking a little flat. And if there is normals, bump them up, then get a quick render to show it off.

Your diffuse is good, you kept it more on the desaturated side which is a good thing. The mixture of tone is well done too. Just get rid of that celtic stuff and don't keep it so white. It's a little too white, like its clean, but the rest of it is dirty.

Keep going man, your close with this looking like a super pro piece. Check out Marmoset, good way to get a quick, but nice render.
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay made some adjustments let me know what you all think.

chestwip01.jpg
    chestwip02.jpg
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    Do you have much edge padding? It looks really tight and I can't tell all that well.
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I made the normal I set the padding to 3. Is that what your refering too?
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    You need edge padding on everything, otherwise you'll have big problems when mipmapping. Setting it for 4-8 is usually the best (depending on your map size) to make sure you have no bleeding.

In addition to solving bleeding it's also just much easier to work with when you don't have everything crammed.
  • OtrickP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good, keep pushing it. Try to really nail down the material definition, I understand how you want to use white for the skull, but is it really a Bone object? if not try something new, im also not reading the white on the chest well.
    Keep at it!