Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cartoon-ish Rpg Props

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
Hey,
So I want to step out of realistic modeling right now, and get into hand-painting/cartoon-ish modeling and texturing. I want to get these assets to look and fit into an cartoon-ish Rpg/MMO game. I will be filling this thread with all the assets I make for this style.

Crits and Comments are welcome.... if you have a prop you think should be made or wanted to be made throw it at me i'd love to hear :)

Here is a Chest:

Udk:

CXhest.jpg

and the working scene:

Sofar.jpg

There's not lighting in the scene and forgive me for the floor bounding box that's showing through. I am gonna add lighting obviously and some post-processing along with raising the camera a bit.

Keep an eye out for more updates :)

Crit and Comments welcome!

Replies

• A-N-P
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    How does that chest open? Doesn't seem to have any gaps/cuts at the top where the lid would be. But it's a nice start.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    I did what A-N-P said and fix it so it looks like its open-able, and I also added post processing effects with lighting:

1-4.jpg
  • aajohnny
  • Rico
    If the chest was left there a whiles ago I'd imagine way more weather damage.

Like darker, deader wood. Rust on the metal parts.

I like the grass and flowers although they don't match the art style of the chest.

Just keep giving it more love! I like the overall feel of how this is going.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Rico for the feedback. I wanted to make it little more perfect because most mmo's aren't really beat up or worn out.
  • Vanity
    Looks great Johnny..Can't wait to see more props.
  • Vanity
    Looks great.. Can't wait to see more props you have on the way..Please make a scene :)
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

- Added more wear to the texture
    - Added lighter color to the metal
    - Added more color and shadows to the wood
    - Enhanced the effects

Portfoliochest2.jpg
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I'm kinda confused as to the look you're going for. The chest is clean and somewhat toony, but the background and plants n stuff are all realistic.
  • gilesruscoe
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Hey John mate, hows it going?

Chest doesnt look half bad, although your normal map isnt achieving much atm, normally something like this would just be a spec/difuse, if your guna use a normal map it would be worth pushing the wood detail further in zbrush/mudbox.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias wrote: »
    I'm kinda confused as to the look you're going for. The chest is clean and somewhat toony, but the background and plants n stuff are all realistic.

The plants and all are udk preset, basically until I make some grass and all myself. I may change the scene completely until I finish everything else like other props and make a room. I am not sure why I added grass and all lol.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey John mate, hows it going?

Chest doesnt look half bad, although your normal map isnt achieving much atm, normally something like this would just be a spec/difuse, if your guna use a normal map it would be worth pushing the wood detail further in zbrush/mudbox.

Hey Giles, not doing too bad, you?
    Well thanks, and I guess I am gonna have to work on that more, a lot of the details aren't showing very well, maybe I have to multiply the normal in udk material edior, but either way i'll work on that more.
  • Mark Dygert
    I guess you carry it around with an anti gravity gun? I think a little more reference hunting and the stylizing some of the ref would be ideal. It seems like you kind of free styled and skipped over a few common things that logically should be there. Like handles or loop holes for ropes.

What does a chest do? Protects goods or valuables? You're lock is incredibly weak because it attaches to wood. Keys, not padlocks where very common for this reason, your lock is inside the chest and is harder to smash off with a rock.

Why do the rim the open edges with metal? Otherwise it would be easier to pry open or destroy the weak wood.

This is the closest thing I could find to your chest and I think even in the style you're aiming for you can stand to incorporate quite a bit more.

Cedar_Pirate_Chest_by_Craftsman107.jpg
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh thanks Mark, I had a concept I was following which had the lock attached to the wood and like that. Only thing I did miss was the handle. I will surely add more detail to it.