Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Deus Ex inspired street environment [UDK]

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
fearian greentooth
So I'm loosing alot of sleep over this one! :) Alongside my brawl entry I also have this university assignment, and I have to finish both by may 2nd! not cool!

Originally this was inspired by some Deus Ex 3 concept art, but it slowly drifted away in style. I hope to bring back some of that glossy, dark, rain slicked feel later on, but for now I need to limit my focus to finishing up all the assets. Frankly, I won't be submitting this at a portfolio quality - I aim to revisit this asap after uni ends.

Onto the pics! High res links under each image:

'Hero' Building
90Uu1.jpg
HIGH RES

Si7yj.jpg
HIGH RES

shop side alley
3QUTG.jpg
HIGH RES

X3o5K.jpg
HIGH RES

I've got a long way to go! I feel like alot of my texturing needs some more work, but that might have to wait until post-deadline for the extra love. As will a fair bit of other polishing!

Immedietly on my to do list are:
  • Redo Building textures (ehhh, atm)
  • High poly air con, texture and bake
  • high poly sign texture and bake
  • additional building details, wires etc.
  • new floor texture (eeeuurghh, atm!)

And then we shall see how much time I have to fake up some of the surrounding buildings. :poly141:

BONUS ROUND! Any-mooted development!
Kx4jT.gif

So there we go, I'm seriously loosing sleep trying to finish this and my brawl entry within 5 weeks, but it's doable! Let me have it! All crits wanted, I'll be keeping alot in mind for finishing this up after uni! :)

Cheers! ~Ian

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I hate that. When you have university/college work and you want it to be awesome but have no time :( Definitely need to get some of that gold in there. The building close to the camera feels like the texture for that bricks is really big.
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Definitely! I've lost my way with the deus ex look, Not sure where to get the gold now! But it's going to become a big focus once I get some more of the assets in, I promise! Yeah my tutor commented on the stones, It was a placeholder texture that I removed later.

Here's what I'm working on at the moment: texturing the pillars along the base of the building. I want them to also function as a drain, so I can get some damp stains down them.

Blockout, Highpoly front, and back:
    njOtB.png

Getting started on the concrete section:
    xgFEU.png

You can see some (poorly rendered) shots of other assets on my sketch blog: http://128x128.tumblr.com/

More tomorrow, wanna finish this pillar!

@Cholden: Yes! It needs some serious grunge atm!
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I'd love to see a big, huge stain decal on the side of that building.
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I would recommend putting a few small props on the ground, and/or drains, and/or mud spots, and/or puddles to break up how flat it is.
  • Money
    Offline / Send Message
    Money polycounter lvl 8
    Well since you said it's a glossy, dark and rainy Deus Ex inspired theme, I don't know if you've seen Epic's tech demo already, but if you haven't you should check it out. You might get some ideas because it looks like a perfect candidate for the atmosphere you want to achieve.
    Some hi-res pics and a link to direct feed video:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2011/03/shadowedpointlightreflectionslogo.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2011/03/billboardreflectionslogo.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2011/03/highqualityshadowslogotext.jpg

http://udk.com/showcase-samaritan
  • ayoub44
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    love it :) i'm going to keep my eyes on this <3 , good luck
  • bbob
    Looking good so far, ian :D
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Alright, I spent a few days (and nights) on another module, and I'm back to focusing on this scene. First up, finished the pillar textures. I've started cutting corners alot in this project to meet the deadline, but stop me if you see anything glaringly obvious.

here's the diffuse:
    P3l3G.png
    The spec is just the same but thrown through a set of adjustment layers :/

And here's a fancy fandangled spinyaround:
    QQrwe.gif
    Sorry for the low quality, I'll post some in game shots later.

Next up is the floor because its really killing the scene. I want to spend a fair bit of time making a nice asphalt texture that I can blend with a cracked version of itself and maybe also a detritus layer. (rather than the usual sand/snow you see with those kinds of mats!) Hopefully Ill get that and some debris props done over the next two days. Right I'm off to the 3dmotive store!
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice work so far :) wish I had time to work on my syndicate env
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    haha cheers! I wish you did too! :D

Bardler: Coming up next!

Money: Yeah! seeing what unreal did in their tech demo after I had already started this scene was daunting! I'm definitely going to have to bring over the atmosphere with some slick speculars and some new lighting!

ayoub44 & bbob: Thanks! Keeps me motivated!
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    why would your pillar be scratched at the top? usually wear and tear happens at peoples height. Since we are so clumsy we bump into everything or put our dirty hands and cause wear. Also.. at the top.. specially in corners a lot of grime and soot from smoke gathers. I like your progress so far man. I like how it feels over all. Keep the props coming!
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Great looking pillar! I agree with glottis, the scratches don't make much sense really. It looks like someone intentionally grabbed a car key and scratched the edges!

You could also try to push your normal map intensity a bit. The concrete texture seems pretty rough but the normal map doesn't reflect that.

Keep it up, looking forward to this.
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    You're both right! pipe is about head hight, but I'm going to tone down the scratches above that. I tried to put a bit of grime along the top, but as the pillar sits under the lip of the building I'll bring that grime down a bit more.

My high poly for the concrete is pretty blobby, I'll mess with the concrete texture and run it though xnormal and play with that for some smaller details.

edit: A quick snap from the editor. I still need to take off those scratches on the very top. whoops. And boost the normals.

9JLbg.png
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I saw this on Technical Talk, was wondering when you we're gonna post it. Really liking what i See now. I'm gonna keep my eye on it.
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I've been thinking about interesting things I can do with this ground texture to tick boxxes for class and I want to post some ideas for crits.

My plan is to create an asphalt material with vertex blending properties that could blend
    • cracks and wear
    • dirt and detritus
    • height variations
    depending on what I need. With the detritus blend, I want to recreate the sort of 'sand pile up' blend you see alot, but with a dirt/garbage texture.

Anyway, I've been documenting my tests for class and thought I'd post it.

First up I modeled some crap. The idea is I can reuse these meshes for individual piles and props later.
    c5Jz8.png

I used object Paint from the graphite modelling tools to scatter out the trash over a plane.
    ESu4O.png

And Baked that shit!

Here's the final test in Xoliuls shader:
    VsrAw.png

I'm still wondering about the best way to get the diffuse map. Should I just paint the texture in photoshop? or is it worth texturing the meshes individually and baking that as the diffuse map?

I'll probably make some more smaller meshes for variation and tone down the larger pieces. I'll mask out the large pices for my blend alpha too.

Bit of a lame update, but I'm just working through tuts at the moment.
  • felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    How come I haven't subscribed to this yet?! :thumbup:
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    First mesh painting test

yKp5r.png

Got to texture the floor tiles, add debris to the dirt, make some transition masks..
    When its done I'd like it to control: (R)Damage (G)Dirt (B)Debris (A)Fade dirt layer. Should finish this this evening, I'm going to bed!
  • felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Can ya show the individual textures/materials? The result looks cool but I'd love to see how did it. :v
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    Does one of the vertex paint channels control normal intensity? Sort of looks like one on the left does. The dirt layer is leaving a soft transition. Take a look at Virtuosic vertex blend tutorial on 3d motive.
  • Envart
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking excellent, great work so far.
  • Razorb
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    yar.. lookin forward to this!
  • gsokol
    Hey man, this is looking pretty cool.

Subscribing now :D
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Sorry for a lack of updates on this! I've been switching between this and two other projects, its driving me mad! So I've been working on a bunch of small things in the scene, I'm rnot happy with alot of them, but I'm so close to my deadline, I just have to ignore it and move forward!

Since I last posted:
    I have the air con units baked and textured
    Some wire props at the back that will be more visible in other shots
    finished the floor (for now!)
    started on a holographic sign for the shop! (the current hologram texture is purely placeholder!)
    ..and some small tweaks here and there.

r0piX.jpg

And here's an even earlier hologram test... ahaha...

The trash layer on the floor wasn't working well. I spend time I couldn't really afford on trying to fix it, so it's shelved for now. I'm still playing with lighting a bit, going to have a big go at lighting properly later. Lots to do, no time to do it :( I'm going to be taking a crowbar to this bastard after uni is finished!
  • bbob
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I haven't been very happy with how much I've rushed through this scene in the last 3 or 4 weeks, and I haven't been posting props and stuff because I feel like I've been rushing to polish a ...something incomplete... for my university deadlines. But now everything's submitted, I'm going to be back on this piece in the next few weeks. So in the mean time, here are the latest renders (can anyone say, 'placeholder skybox?' :poly142:)

Vp0L5.jpg

0cGIE.jpg

pV5GD.jpg
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Oh and here's how the vertex paint floor material stands:

WSD61.jpg
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    hey man, that is looking pretty solid! i love the detail on the floor and how that turned out. You are getting really solid materials and your light even tho is subtle, it's working perfectly to showcase this. With more dramatic lighting and more work this is gonna be sweet.
  • Cooljay
    This definately captured the atmosphere of a interesting nighttime scene. Good job fearian.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian wrote: »
    here are the latest renders (can anyone say, 'placeholder skybox?' :poly142:)

Should have seen mine :P Used heightfog and people were like "wheres the skybox in game" haha. Looking good and good to see your gonna work on this.
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    haha, Heightfog bros *high five*