polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
I know where my vote lies already.

Replies

• hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    Which is strange, because this HBO vs Stars game has been on for a while. Rome obviously had more scope, budget and talent than Spartacus, but is this time Stars winning due to an existing legend / story?
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Game of Thrones will be good until they hit book 2 then it will just piss me off. GRRM is a great writer. I have never hated a writer so much for what he's done to characters and been unable to put down a book; until I read the Fire and Ice series
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    Another thing I noticed is that a lot of the cast from Rome are in Camelot and Spartacus cast are in Game of Thrones. Seems like there was a real grab from HBO and Stars to pinch each others cast!

Camelot appeals to more as it goes for some very good dialogue. Will possibly be the underdog due to Game of Thrones being classic American Fantasy up to the nuts.

Still, both keep the majority of British actors in work, I guess.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Doctor Who > All.

This sat :)
  • Martin Henriksson
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    First episode of Game of Thrones showed alot of promise! Havent seen Camelot yet but it doesnt look very appealing to me.
  • mdeforge
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    game-of-thrones_2401.jpg?w=225&h=300

Game of Thrones

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3e0HSuXmQL49q-Ny-paYhLLIvE_oKwKm70Ja9t8uudBPyeAEtxQ&t=1

LOTR

I don't know much about Game Of Thrones, or Camelot, or whatever, but this is the first thing I noticed. Sean Bean sure is in a lot of fantasy movies =P
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah.... not really.

he was great as Sharpe though (historical fiction). saw the first episode of Game of Thrones last night. i might have to pick up the books.
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Stradigos wrote: »

Game of Thrones

LOTR

I don't know much about Game Of Thrones, or Camelot, or whatever, but this is the first thing I noticed. Sean Bean sure is in a lot of fantasy movies =P

Alot in this case being 2 franchises...
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Oh god, seeing this really makes me want them to make the 'Wheel of Time'.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Oh god, seeing this really makes me want them to make the 'Wheel of Time'.

QFT
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Stradigos wrote: »

Game of Thrones

LOTR

black death: ;P

647028692.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah, but saying sean bean does a lot of fantasy movies, is like saying james earl jones does a lot of sci fi, based purely from hearing him in 3 star wars films.
  • Striff
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Is there even a question? =P
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    First episode of Game of Thrones showed alot of promise! Havent seen Camelot yet but it doesnt look very appealing to me.

Lets just say Camelot is more coherent.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Game of Thrones was slow. So so slow. So many pauses between lines. It's like they're rushing through the story, but at the same time pacing the dialogue at a snail's pace. I don't get it.
  • Matabus
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    I mean ... c'mon, this is a non-question. Game of Thrones is just so so good.
  • XenoKratios
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting responses to Game of Thrones. Having read the books multiple times [though not in the last couple years] I find it exactly what I want... pretty much exactly what I remember the story being. A lot of 'oh yeeeeeah' moments that get me excited for what I know is coming. I can totally see outsiders to the series being a bit lost, though; I remember the books being like that a bit when I started them. They shotgun names and relations at you, with little action, that only coalesce later on when you're more invested and the time-frame stretches out a bit.

Pretty pleased with it so far. No complaints.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    Interesting responses to Game of Thrones. Having read the books multiple times [though not in the last couple years] I find it exactly what I want... pretty much exactly what I remember the story being. A lot of 'oh yeeeeeah' moments that get me excited for what I know is coming. I can totally see outsiders to the series being a bit lost, though; I remember the books being like that a bit when I started them. They shotgun names and relations at you, with little action, that only coalesce later on when you're more invested and the time-frame stretches out a bit.

Pretty pleased with it so far. No complaints.

Quoted for Truth.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Game of Thrones is awesome, and I'm hoping it stays that way.

A little too much "fuck fuck fuck whores whores and boobs everywhere" for my tastes, but it is HBO after all.
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    i honestly have no idea what this looks like to someone who hasn't read the books multiple times... i think there's alot of stuff they omitted that was important and the whole danny/drogo scene was like... wtf?

I feel like some of the characters have been simplified alot, most likely because there's alot of them and they don't get alot of screen time and if they were all super complex it would get very confusing very quickly. Oh well, only 1 episode in so far, so who knows maybe it'll get better.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar wrote: »
    i honestly have no idea what this looks like to someone who hasn't read the books multiple times... i think there's alot of stuff they omitted that was important and the whole danny/drogo scene was like... wtf?

I feel like some of the characters have been simplified alot, most likely because there's alot of them and they don't get alot of screen time and if they were all super complex it would get very confusing very quickly. Oh well, only 1 episode in so far, so who knows maybe it'll get better.

Yeah I agree, they really cut down on the character development phase. I honestly have no clue what the hell happened with the Daenerys/Khal'Drogo scene either. That went ridiculously fast.

I remember, at that point in the books, I already had quite the liking for Tyrion. But in the show? He comes off as some spoiled brat. We are only one episode in I guess, hopefully that works out better.
    dfacto wrote: »
    Not enough "fuck fuck fuck whores whores and boobs everywhere" for my tastes, but it is HBO after all.

Fix't.
  • ibarter
    Offline / Send Message
    ibarter polycounter lvl 8
    dfacto wrote: »
    A little too much "fuck fuck fuck whores whores and boobs everywhere" for my tastes, but it is HBO after all.

I don't get it.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    ibarter wrote: »
    I don't get it.
    Didn't you watch the first episode, there was an abundance of boobies, and general nudeness.

Im really hoping it goes well and they do the other books. Im nearly through book 3 at the moment.
    Yeah I agree, they really cut down on the character development phase. I honestly have no clue what the hell happened with the Daenerys/Khal'Drogo scene either. That went ridiculously fast.

Yeah, it wasnt true to the story at all, it basicly made it look like he bent her over and raped her. The "No" thing totally lost its context, it just made droggo sound like a lack wit, spouting one word over and over like Hodor.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Never read the books for Game of Thrones but I thought the first episode was great. I don't have any issues with it at all. I'll have to look into Camelot as well - never even heard about it until right now.
  • ibarter
    Offline / Send Message
    ibarter polycounter lvl 8
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Didn't you watch the first episode, there was an abundance of boobies, and general nudeness.

I didn't get the "too much" part lol.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    ibarter wrote: »
    I didn't get the "too much" part lol.
    a matter of taste i guess.
  • Ryan Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    IF you don't like boobs you probably wont like the rest of the series. Just sayin'
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Yeah, it wasnt true to the story at all, it basicly made it look like he bent her over and raped her. The "No" thing totally lost its context, it just made droggo sound like a lack wit, spouting one word over and over like Hodor.

Am I the only one that thinks this was a very SMART thing to do? They need to condense things and at the same time maintain conflict. This begins her story with a low point without compromising later, more important events. It gives her relationship with Drogo somewhere to go, starting it on a rough, scarring note, rather then giving her any sort of immediate solace to break conflict/tension. Without it there's no reason to really get invested emotionally in her troubles.

It only worked as written in the books because Martin had a couple thousand words of build up to get her character to that point versus ten minutes total of on-screen time in the episode.
  • Ben Apuna
    I'm going to have to go with Game of Thrones just because I enjoyed the books so very much.

Right now I'm thinking the this TV adaptation isn't going to live up to the books, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

I'll have to check out Camelot now that I know of it's existence.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    According to the poll, maybe I should change the title of this thread to "have you heard of Game of Thrones: yes / no"

Camelot is most certainly the underdog, the reason I ask is because the entire HBO vs STARS thing kicked off with Rome VS Spartacus.

If you are familiar with those two shows, it's worth checking out Camelot.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    SPARTACUS!! By the gods!!!
  • MasteroftheFork
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    I liked the first episode of game of thrones but they rushed it so much. I'm hoping they only did this for the first episode so they can set it up and slow down in the meaty bits.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont get the debate, Rome and Spartacus is totally different only sharing the setting really. One is a drama of epic propotions and the other is a action flick. Both are entertaining.
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    First episode was nice enough, seemed pretty faithful to the books from my memory (even though the pacing is different yeah, the scenes with Daenerys felt kind of strange, and if I remember correctly a lot more time passes by before the wedding in the books?)

I still think it's kind of silly how HBO shows feel like they have a boob-quota to reach each episode. I like seeing boobs, but sometimes it kind of detracts from the immersion a bit, I can't help imagining the writers having meetings about where they can slip in some boob-shots for each new episode.

For people who haven't read the books, I have no idea how they could follow what was going on. My girlfriend was pretty lost as to who was who until I explained it to her, especially considering all the silly mumbled fantasy names, which work fine when written, but all sound alike when mumbled by gruff bearded warriors.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote: »
    According to the poll, maybe I should change the title of this thread to "have you heard of Game of Thrones: yes / no"

Camelot is most certainly the underdog, the reason I ask is because the entire HBO vs STARS thing kicked off with Rome VS Spartacus.

If you are familiar with those two shows, it's worth checking out Camelot.

I only just heard of Camelot when it was mentioned here.
    Watched it, and was impressed. I really enjoyed it. Looks like I now have another series to follow this season!

I hope A Game of Thrones clears itself up a bit. For one who has read the books, it's great. For someone who has not... everything is the least bit confusing. What is the wall? What are the Wights/Others? Who's the fat guy? What's wrong with being a bastard? Why does the dwarf get all the women?

And most importantly of all? Why does Jaime push Bran out the window?

It's all very well-explained in the books, but like I said, if you haven't read them, you must seriously be asking yourself many questions.

At least Viserys is still the detestable asshat we all know about in the books! :D
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Bal wrote: »

I still think it's kind of silly how HBO shows feel like they have a boob-quota to reach each episode. I like seeing boobs, but sometimes it kind of detracts from the immersion a bit, I can't help imagining the writers having meetings about where they can slip in some boob-shots for each new episode.

all dem titties were in the books. they're staying faithful to the source.

that's like complaining about all the violence. need to accept that this is what you're tuning into.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    all dem titties were in the books. they're staying faithful to the source.

that's like complaining about all the violence. need to accept that this is what you're tuning into.

Well that's surprising that it's all in the books because boobs are generally an afterthought thrown in as fanservice, which is why I don't like them in my crazy sci-fi/fantasy epics. Anyone remember that terrible sex scene from Matrix:Reloaded? Bleughhh..

More than that I dislike the excessive swearing. I'm a big fan of a "fuck" here and there and usually drop a few bombs every day, but when it's abused in tv or film it comes across as faux maturity rather than authentic discourse.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Haven't read the books, so I had no idea what I was getting myself into, I loved the first episode though.

Also, lovely intro:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN8PKcNGcuI[/ame]
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, intro was boss. For a moment I was wondering if it was supposed to be set inside a Dyson sphere or something, but then I figured it was just artistic license.
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator

You keep mentioning Rome Vs. Spartacus, but Rome aired from 2005-2007, and Spartacus started in 2010.

As for Camelot the character work just seems awkward, I can't put my finger on whether it's bad acting or writing, whereas in GOT I get none of that feeling (haven't read the books).

I would go as far as to say I prefer the less serious "Merlin" TV series to Camelot.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    Am I the only one that thinks this was a very SMART thing to do? They need to condense things and at the same time maintain conflict. This begins her story with a low point without compromising later, more important events. It gives her relationship with Drogo somewhere to go, starting it on a rough, scarring note, rather then giving her any sort of immediate solace to break conflict/tension. Without it there's no reason to really get invested emotionally in her troubles.

It only worked as written in the books because Martin had a couple thousand words of build up to get her character to that point versus ten minutes total of on-screen time in the episode.

I dont disagree but i didnt like the way they did it. Thats to be expected I guess, you cant beat books for character development.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow wrote: »
    You keep mentioning Rome Vs. Spartacus, but Rome aired from 2005-2007, and Spartacus started in 2010.

As for Camelot the character work just seems awkward, I can't put my finger on whether it's bad acting or writing, whereas in GOT I get none of that feeling (haven't read the books).

I would go as far as to say I prefer the less serious "Merlin" TV series to Camelot.

Spartacus was Stars answer to HBO's Rome. Camelot is Stars answer to HBO's GoT. Get it? The actors seriously cross pollenate.

Merlin was good, but it doesn't capture dark ages England like Camelot does. Liking all the old english swearing, arthurian legend re-interpretations and casual bits (like when they stop at a roadside tavern, or when picking up Excalibur goes wrong. Not to mention the sword from the stone, awesome scene)
    BBC's Merlin doesn't deal with any arthurian legend, Camelot basically pisses wildly in it's face from a huge horses cock.

Their merlin is bad ass. I guess it's different horses / courses. I felt the opposite way, GoT acting to me looking like a cheap US "medieval land" faux British accent and extras standing infront of bluescreens looking bored, in cheap badly designed "fantasy" costumes spouting ridiculous names. It relied too heavily on boobs n' gore to propel it foreword whilst confusing the audience with a condensed erratic storyline.

And dwarfs? C'mon.

I'll still watch it with chagrin though! :poly142:
  • Matabus
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Hawken, I am curious ... have you read GoT?
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Their merlin is bad ass. I guess it's different horses / courses. I felt the opposite way, GoT acting to me looking like a cheap US "medieval land" faux British accent and extras standing infront of bluescreens looking bored, in cheap badly designed "fantasy" costumes spouting ridiculous names. It relied too heavily on boobs n' gore to propel it foreword whilst confusing the audience with a condensed erratic storyline.

And dwarfs? C'mon.

... You do realize that the "dwarf" in GoT is a real dwarf... like a short person... you know, the ones that exist, in the real world? And that it uses very little green / blue screen? And that a good portion (most) of the cast are from the UK... right??

I'm all for everyone having their own opinions... but it seems to me that either you haven't watched so much as a couple of minutes of the show, or are just actively trolling. :P
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Spartacus was Stars answer to HBO's Rome. Camelot is Stars answer to HBO's GoT. Get it? The actors seriously cross pollenate.

Merlin was good, but it doesn't capture dark ages England like Camelot does. Liking all the old english swearing, arthurian legend re-interpretations and casual bits (like when they stop at a roadside tavern, or when picking up Excalibur goes wrong. Not to mention the sword from the stone, awesome scene)
    BBC's Merlin doesn't deal with any arthurian legend, Camelot basically pisses wildly in it's face from a huge horses cock.

And dwarfs? C'mon.

Wait till you see Loras Tyrell's tournament armor. It looks amazing.
    And what's wrong with having a dwarf? Tyrion isn't a dwarf like Gimli in the Lord of the Rings. He's a real-life dwarf, those who are born like that. :P
  • Martin Henriksson
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright now i have watched ep1 of Camelot (aswell as ep2 of GoT) and i dont think i could disagree more with you hawken. I think that everything in GoT looks alot more authentic even if it isnt supposed to be "earth" and the acting is much better. Camelot looks more "american" then GoT to me, the costumes in Camelot look stupid, just look at King Lot, that armour is just silly. Just not of the same caliber imo.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Speaking of the dwarf, Tyrion Lanniste is an incredible/serious actor.

See The Station Agent for an example of the breadth of his capability.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0340377/

I might look into Camelot, but after Excalibur. No Authorian (sp?) retelling can capture the magic of that movie.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8mJwgPiarg[/ame]
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Bal wrote: »

For people who haven't read the books, I have no idea how they could follow what was going on. My girlfriend was pretty lost as to who was who until I explained it to her, especially considering all the silly mumbled fantasy names, which work fine when written, but all sound alike when mumbled by gruff bearded warriors.

I agree with you, I was hoping to suggest watching this with my group of friends (sometimes we watch a whole season of something together just for the lols) but now Ive seen how much nudity and swearing there is I cant really suggest it to my friends as some of them are a bit more reserved than me when it comes to that stuff and the girls especially would be really upset watching a dwarf get oral :P.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Just started reading the first book right before the show. Loving it so much. Amzaing book. Watched the first ep of Game of Thrones to see how all the names were pronouced as I knew I was far off on some of them. Great ep. Extremely true to the book. Fantastic acting and the world felt real and gritty.