Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[FIGHTER] Street Fighter, Charlie, circle of friends

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
circle of friends polycounter lvl 10
Hi guys! I always wished Charlie was in SF4 as he looks pretty cool. He's so similar to Guile though he's just crying out for a redesign.

My current thoughts are to adapt him in to a kid or much younger fighter; a bit like Sakura. I think his general look should fit well with this.
I'm thinking armbands, lunchbox, backpack, dorky specs but still some attitude.

Going to fire up some concepts now!

2qs18np.jpg

Replies

• circle of friends
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oKDpE.jpg

Toying with some more ideas.

I think the things people remember about Charlie are his glasses, his jacket, his hair and his colours. I want to keep these to an extent but change them up. For instance he has really identifiable hair but I think it looks pretty bad, so I want to give him a very noticeable haircut that's very different and that a kid would wear. Something like a mullet?

I'm just doing some super rough sketches at the moment playing with shapes and possible costumes.

My idea is that he's a fan of Guile and wants to be just like him. Hopefully over the next few days I'll be drawing out multiple different clothing ideas and heads/hairstyles and seeing which looks best. I don't want to jump in to the 3d stage before I have a solid concept.

BhHQ9.jpg
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    love the idea of changing the jacket to a life preserver, just cant see how it will fit with the character yet....keep at it man :)
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome, it's pretty interesting where you're taking him.

But that kid's hair man (on your last image)...it's so weird haha. He has shaved patterns, a cowlick, and a mullet. :D
  • Onuris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It reminds me of me in elementary school... The hair style that is.
  • circle of friends
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seth: Thanks man, yep it's kind of a ret-con isn't it? There's a few reasons, firstly that Charlie's jacket has always reminded me of one, secondly because a life jacket is kind of a kid thing in a way, and it also makes him look a bit quirky. I want him to be like a big Guile fanboy so dressing up in whatever he can get, and his idea of padded military vest is that :p

Nightflarer: Thanks man, and yeah the hair is wild! I'll be sketching out some heads tomorrow hopefully so let's see what happens.

Onuris: You're lucky I pretty much had a bowl cut.

Back clothing view:

G9fMg.jpg

To come tomorrow:

Front view, heads/hair ideas, Accessories ideas (ran out of time today)
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    haha that kids head in your ref is priceless

really like how you are handeling the tension on the clothes so far
  • circle of friends
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update! Done a sketch of the front. I haven't decided if I want the jacket to be open or closed yet so I need to do a different version now.
    DhAPU.jpg

I decided to roughly put Charlie in it, although I'm not totally happy with it. It at first swamped him, which although was the idea, it fit weirdly so I did a bit of cutting. I think it's lost something but this is probably much easier to fix in 3d.

6pRVz.jpg

Still a loooooooooong way to go. Next up is accessories, trying to nail the silhouette properly, making him have that coolness he's lacking a bit right now.

Then on to heads!
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    looking ace man, i think the reason it looks a little off with him in there is cos the shoulders are quite low in the front view, which has meant that you have had to compress the torso a bit to fit him in. As you mentioned that stuff wont be an issue once your into the modelling stage anyway.....still love that life preserver :D
  • circle of friends
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aA6mj.jpg

Update: Think I've fixed the shoulders. Thanks very much Seth you were spot on. Changed the head and have gone even more Guile fanboy. This should be fun if I can pull it off! Nothing's final but I think I'll start modelling tomorrow. I think my colours work well but I'm probably using too many right now, or at least they aren't in big enough blocks. I'll most likely simplify the backpack down drastically.
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the direction you are taking this. I love the head but i would say stay true to that kids haircut in the ref as its pure comedy gold. Im loving the lunchbox and also the scale of the rucksack feels just right. He could do with a sweatband or something on his right arm. Just feels a bit bare at the moment. I love the baggy trousers too, for some reason it feels different than what im used to seeing although im sure its not. Cant wait to see this one realised in 3d.
  • Onuris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, I think he needs that sweet sweet mullet. Also agree with everything else frubes said. I'm a parrot with nothing original to say.
  • circle of friends
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys and your mullets!! Haha ok I'll draw it up tomorrow. Thanks, your ideas are great:)