Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[FIGHTER] Super Smash Brothers, SAMUS, Ultimate H

Current Progress:
steampunk_samus_aran___concept_by_ultimateharan-d3deifl.jpg

Up next: Starting the actual Model!

Hello, new guy here.

Thought I'd make my first thread a WIP thread for this competition. I'll be working on a reinterpretation of Samus from the smash bros. series. My interpretation is more of a question: "What would Samus look like if her armor was designed in the past, specifically in the Victorian era." So basically, a steampunk/steam powered power suit.

Image of original character:
070615smash4.jpg

I look forward to this competition, and wish luck to all who participate.
-H

Replies

• akacg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akacg polycounter lvl 12
    Very cool i like the idea of her having an older suit because its alrealy pretty futuristic
    I will be doing a futuristic Mario from Super Smash Bros
    Good luck
  • Ultimate H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, finally managed to get some time to start sketching out some ideas. I'm thinking of going the route that her entire right(cannon) arm is actually gone, and replaced by a mechanical one. I've got three versions with basic ideas in them.

SamusSteamCannonTrial1-1.jpg

Just taking a quick look, I'm feeling the general shape of the lower portion of the first one, while using the upper arm of the second one.

The main idea is that the cannon, instead of shooting out energy, condenses the steam into a ball of ice to be shot out. I want at least one tube connecting the cannon/arm to a pack that's going to be on the back.

Let me know what you guys think
    -H
  • MESMURDA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MESMURDA polycounter lvl 12
    ha sick dude im doing zombie samus so this should be interesting :D
  • Ultimate H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man!

Did a quick clothes concept for what she'll be wearing under the armor. I know its not technically Victorian style, but I'm deciding to have the style be based loosely off steampunk, rather than rigidly adhere to it.

SamusSteamSuitless.jpg

I didn't really detail, since this is going to be mostly covered by the armor anyways. the most that will be seen is the stomach area, and at the joints.

let me know what you think.
    -H
  • MESMURDA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ha looks good so far yea i like the steampunk idea better anyways :D check this out on cghub hes got some cool ideas u might like :)

http://cghub.com/images/view/87047/

hah yes that is boba :)
  • Ultimate H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha! Thanks a ton for the link man, I was trying to figure out how to make the mechanical parts look like more than just a bunch of metal plates riveted together. A couple images from that guy, specifically the storm trooper and the steam suit, have given me a couple ideas on how to improve my overall concept in my head. Gonna sleep on it and try to get a good image in my head overnight.

-H
  • MESMURDA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha nice for sure :D
  • akacg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akacg polycounter lvl 12
    Number 2 looks pretty cool
  • Ultimate H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so after thinking on it more, and getting the opinion of my brother. I decided to go with the general shape of number 2 instead, since it looks the coolest. Did a redesign in the "style" of it though.

SteamCannonTrial2.jpg

Took a little of the style from that link and added to this. The coloring on the cannon, as well as the "decals" are going to be worked on. One idea I'm toying with is that the coloring would look like she hand painted it on, kinda like what's depicted on some mercenary stuff.

The upper arm is going to be redesigned, right now its basically just an attachment point for the cannon. I think tomorrow I'm going to do up some quick concepts for the main suit.

'Til then,
    -H
  • Ultimate H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took some time, and did a few sketches of some of the parts and how I'm picturing them. Not sure how far up the cannon arm I want to have robotic, and how far actually be her arm. I know for sure I want the lower arm, past the elbow, to be completely robotic, but not sure after that.

steamcomponentskets.jpg

My idea as of right now is that the shoulders will actually be a furnace and water tank, to be fed into a contraption on the back that would be used to create the ammo for the cannon.

Comments, suggestions are what I am looking for. Does it look cool, does it look terrible, is it boring? I want to know.

Thanks
    -H
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    Go FURTHER!
    what would Samus look like in a big bulky steam powered contraption. That thing would be huge right! it would look kinda like a mech in my mind.
  • Ultimate H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ dudealan2001: I'm gonna take it even one step further, her suit is going to BE a mech, not just look like one. :poly121:

Did some quick proportion sketches, I think i'm liking the leg design of the last two, they feel more mech-ish than the other ones. Gonna have to think about it on the cockpit design though. I want it to be very obvious that it's a mech, while still keeping the same kind of shapes her original suit has.

SamusSteamMechprops.jpg

I'm thinking, maybe make the torso and head about the same height as a person, but make the arms and legs beefy and heavy. Looks like i'll have to do some more sketching :poly121:

as always, C&C are what i'm lookin for
    Thanks.
    -H
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Ultimate H all of these look way similar. I dislike 2 and 3 mainly the spikey knee.
    Like 1 Recognizeable as samus, 4 Scale and wieght, and 6 the silhouette is neat.
    Also I love that you took the mech idea seriously but if you could bring back the scale.
    Like Steampunk would be big. but I feel she would still fit in the main part. and still could move the limbs.
    IM_hulkbuster2.jpg
    iron_monger.jpg
    untitled-5.jpg
    I would take a good look at ironman bacause I saw a lot of was good looking stuff. be carefull though one site almost gave me a virus.
  • Ultimate H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I could bring the scale down a little bit. The thing that worries me about putting her arms/legs in the limbs is, while the legs will be possible, I would have to mess up her anatomy in order to actually have her arms in the suit arms. Like in the bottom two pics, Tony stark would have to have wider shoulders than pro football players in order to actually have his arms in there.

I think what I'll do is have her legs in the legs of the suit, but have her arms either on the very inner edge of the arms, or just tucked snugly into the upper portion of the torso.

I'm definitely thinking heavier weight and using the silhouette of number 6. I think I'll do an inside to out sketch of whats currently on my mind.

-H
  • Onuris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could go the power loader (Aliens) route for the arms. Have her real arms lightly armored and then controlling larger arms.
  • Ultimate H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funnily enough, I had thought about going that route a while back, but when I did a quick sketch, the arms seemed a little too exposed. So, when I Did this design, I actually took the same base pose of body, just changed the mechanical parts. Here's a quick sketch of the mechanics I'm thinking for her:

SamusSteamSuitPowerLoaderesq.jpg

The green is the physical body position.

Once I'm set on the mechanical portions, I'll add the plating that will cover some portions. There will still be some parts that are exposed.

Her left arm will actually be a slight spin-off of the grapple beam, just instead of it being electrical, its more of a claw on a chain. I'm thinking this tool could also be used in hand to hand as a sort of flail.

Not sure how much can be gleaned from it, but I feel it is at least a step in the right direction.

As usual, C&C would help a ton.

Thanks
    -H
  • Ultimate H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I'll take no comments as either no one saw anything that needed a large amount of attention, or there's too much/not enough going on to comment.

Whatever the case, I sorted out a couple areas that were concerning me, and slapped on the armor plating. Decided to also do a quick color pass to get a better scheme of what's what, what's made of what, etc.

SamusSteamSketcolored.jpg

Lengthened the front half of the feet since if she tried taking a step forward, it would just fall instead. Also decided not to gripe too much about certain areas, since they ended up getting covered with armor as well. Lastly, I decided to go back to my original scheme for the cannon.

Let me know what looks good, and what needs some attention.

Thanks
    -H
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    headed the right direction. now steam punk everything up. give it all those little gizmos that makes steam punk.....steam punk. Also powered by steam.
  • Ultimate H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I decided to re-design the gun, since it seemed a little "thrown together." Added a lot of tubes and pipes, as well as did a quick backpack design for the power unit. Was talking with my brother about the design, and came to an agreement that it seemed just a little too refined. So, I'm thinking of making it more clunky and heavy. Basically, go to an Alpha version kind of state.

Current Concept:
    SamusSteamSketcolored2.jpg

all of the grayish-red is pipes and tubes that are attached to the armor plating.

The bottom barrel on the cannon is the missile launcher. I'm thinking of changing the loading mechanism for it, seems a little too restrictive.

Not sure how to make it look more clunky, so some suggestions would be very helpful

Thanks
    -H
  • Siliqk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That new gun design is absolutely badass. The claw could maybe use some beefing-up now, it looks dwarfed in comparison. Cool idea for the character, very clever.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whenever I think of your project I think of this
    SteamGolem.jpg
  • Ultimate H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quadrupled the resolution so I could make more details. Drew over the previous concept, and gave her a much closer steampunk feel.

Current Design:
    SamusSteamSketSuperResLine.jpg

I still need to beef up the backpack, as well as add thrusters to it for speed boost. As for the rest, I'm quite happy with it now, will add color once I'm done with the line work on the backpack. After I'm done with that, I think I may finally be comfortable starting the block out.

I purposely took my time with the concept since the more time I spend figuring out the details now, the less time I have to think about it while actually doing the modeling.

Let me know what you guys think :)

-H
  • Ultimate H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took longer than I thought to get the concept finished off, but I'm quite happy with it. I think tomorrow I'll start working on the model itself.

And here's the pic:
    steampunk_samus_aran___concept_by_ultimateharan-d3deifl.jpg

-H
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    better get started modeling and maybe bigger steel slates. but yeah you got it.
  • protomd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice to see someone going with a steampunk look. There's way too much mech in this competition. This is a good change of pace
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like you've got too many tiny plates in her armor. That doesn't seem like an efficient way to build armor. If you're going to have something provide adequate protection without the aid of modern or futuristic materials, it oughtta be thick, solid metal. All those spots where it's riveted together just feel like weak points where it would be under extra stress and easier to get broken when a Steampunk Space Pirate shoots you with his coal-fueled death ray.

I, personally, think it would be cooler to see a few big, thick chunks of metal (e.g. one or two chunks for the breastplate, one for each shoulder pauldron etc.) that look like they've been hammered into shape by a blacksmith. Maybe riveted onto a frame, but not all those little panels.

Unless, of course, they're hatches that house gadgets like bombs, but I'm currently not feeling like they have that functionality.

Any idea how this suit Morph Balls and drops bombs?

Cool concept, will definitely be keeping an eye on it!
  • Ultimate H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tonysladky: Thanks for the advice man, I've actually been thinking about those plates, and worrying about them in different ways (practicality and poly count being the top two)

I had originally thought of doing the heavy plates, but thought they seemed too "clean" for steampunk, but I guess if I can get it to look hammered and hand painted, i could get it to look right.

as for the morph ball and bombs, it wasnt really in my plan to have that functionality, but I could probably whip up a quick idea, perhaps some plates that fold along that back, and when she curls up they fan out to create a sphere

@protomd: Yeah, i kinda figured, since samus was already kinda futuristic and mechy, why not take a step back in time instead?

Thanks for the comments guys. I thought I had the blockout figured out, but I think I'm going to mess with just a couple things to try and get the plating to be more solid as well as try out a couple shapes for those morph panels (I'm seeing something along the lines of them being draped along the back).

Edit: another idea that just came to mind is a makeshift cape that would have some sort of rod slid through some pockets that would cause it to form into a sphere shape, may mess with that one as well.

-H