Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Aaron Morse; Portfolio pimp

Hey guys :D
So, it's pretty much final and I'm happy with how everything turned out. It's been a lot of hard work and it's nice seeing it all put together. If you'd like to take a look please check it out and let me know what you think http://threenineart.com

I am aware of a slight shift between the contact page and portfolio page, as well as the almost clipped off turn tables on the first two models

I'm really just looking for feedback as far as layout, overall feel, and if the models are shown on adequately. I'm sending out job applications this weekend and hoping for the best :x. So with that, if anything really bothers you please let me know so I can catch it. If it's minor, I may or may not get around to fixing it this weekend. Thanks for all the help over the years polycount, I'm one step closer :)

Oh, also what's the word on WIP work in portfolios? Is it still a no-no? I'd like to get my Aztec Lizard up there in place of that Skywarp bust/addition to my portfolio, but I just don't have the time to complete him before Monday :\

Replies

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd axe that transformer, and at least try to get 1 more game spec character in there, WIPS are "okay" if they are on their own page and labeled, but I would take that down when actively applying for jobs.
  • DDuckworth
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    I agree to axe the transformer, good job on the prawn. The problem with the transformer is that it is very much a WIP and that should never be in a portfolio, that belongs in a sub section or blog, also remember you will be judged by your weakest piece and it's probably best to keep anything that isn't up to par out of your port. I'm following this philosophy on mine now and that leaves me with only one piece in my port until I get more work done soon haha. Good luck with the hunt!
  • [SF]Three9
    Thanks to you both I apprecaite it :). As I said previously Zac I can always count on you for advice <3

I was a little skeptical of having Skywarp on there. Having you both echo my own thoughts definitely tells me what to do. Really frustrated I don't have a 6'th piece to throw up there, but as the 'ole saying goes, Quality > Quantity. Appreciate that for the Prawn :D. For the moment he's going to be my centerpiece, and I'm damn proud of him. I spent hours upon hours researching the mouth and figuring out how it worked. He's come a long way too, check out his old texture I did a year ago prawnftxt.jpg

prawn_p2.jpghaha so bad, can't believe I came that far in just a year :)

Once my Aztec Lizard is done though, he's going to be my best piece to date! I'm 300% determined to become a damn good artist. Every time I look at my Prawn it gives me so much inspiration to push even harder
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Haha yeah man keep pushing! modeling only gets even more fun when u strife for higher skills, good job with the prawn btw! best of luck!
  • [SF]Three9
    So I just realized I have another huge piece in the film we are developing that I think might be nice for my portfolio. Our film Mustache Mayhem takes place in a swamp in Florida, about a turtle and gator who live in a dead cypress tree. The texture isn't by me (and credited to Dan Jones of course in the title), but it might be a nice piece.
    http://threenineart.com/index2.html

Is it random having an environment piece with 5 characters? I wasn't applying to jobs as just a character artist, so I know it'll help having something else, I just don't know if it's wierd.

I already took Skywarp out of the main gallery, so please let me know what you guys think <3
    Oh, and be sure to use the link I just posted. I didn't want to update the real portfolio with that until I heard from polycount :)
  • DDuckworth
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man, I think you threw up the same photo from your portfolio for the "old" texture, lets see that old one!

For the tree it seems the texture on the outside is bringing you down IMO. The inside looks great and perhaps you should just give a flatshade on the outside model or make it more obvious that the texture is done by someone else by placing it on the photo itself. No offense to him though, the inside looks great, texture and model i like it a lot but the outside just looks too photosourced compared to the more painted look of the inside.
  • [SF]Three9
    er, you don't see it?
    http://www.solar-fissure.com/renders/prawnftxt.jpg is a link to the old texture :D

I kinda see what you mean about the exterior texture, ill figure something out :)