Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The HOT L - New Orleans inspired alley - UDK

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
I got this scene to a point where I can pimp it off. I might tweak a few things out here and there. But unless there are major things off that I'm missing I'm calling this one done.

I used Disneyland's New Orleans square as major inspiration for this.

orleans_032.jpg

and the wires

orleans_032_wires.jpg

All crits appreciated always.

Replies

• Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Hah, this definitely does remind me of New Orleans Square at Disneyland, right near the exit to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.

Nice scene I like the way you broke up the floor however some concerns with the placement of the windows at the middle right, they seem abit high? Not sure compared to reference just my observation.

I think the lighting can be pushed, its looking a bit dark overall and feels flat.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Will's right about the lighting..for some reason my eye keeps getting drawn to the darkest building in the back of the street...well to be fair i don't know what my focal point would be. You know, an idea for lighting, Axe the christmas lights on the left building and move them to the building in the back and open the windows and doors and make it look jumping, or like a party to push the idea that this is a scummy brothel like alley in a crazy town.. Cause New Orleans..is crazy.

I remember when I was there in 2008 there was a dude (not homeless) passed out drunk in a fountain. It was awesome.
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    ErichWK wrote: »
    I remember when I was there in 2008 there was a dude (not homeless) passed out drunk in a fountain. It was awesome.

Then you probably know the place better than any ;D
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I see what you mean about having that back building lit up. I was thinking that having the back building all lit up but no people in the scene would make it look a bit odd. But you're definitely on to something with having the christmas lights going on back there and crazier looking.

Thanks for the crits.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Well, there aint no one in the streets cause of all the babes inside the building! And maybe some lights with a nice blue hue coming out of the windows. Mess around with it! Image sucks but the lighting shows cool contrasts. 73071985.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=EDF6F2F4F969CEBDF87A0354562B2DFB5E7728CAD5D82A4EC001B5D0B9A15949

Just push the shit out of it.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Erich the image doesn't come up. But I adjusted the lighting to feel more like nighttime.

orleans_034.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the scene fixing the back windows (put a scene in the back and blinds) and added a painted trim to the top of the plant pots.

orleans_036.jpg
  • gsokol
    Contrast is looking a lot nicer now.

I just got back today from visiting New Orleans. Cool place.

Right now, your scene just seems very plain. One thing I noticed on my visit...even weeks after mardi gras, there were beads..everywhere. They were hanging on almost every balcony. Maybe add some papers,beer bottles, some things to make the ground less plain.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll try to get some trash worked onto the ground.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    nice, i am from new orleans. if you want my 2 cents, i would say it has the same problem as the disney new orleans, it looks like it was made to look old, but not actually old. new orleans is super old, anything that is painted has been painted 1000 times and if there is scratches in the paint you can see a hundred years worth of paint showing through. new orleans isn't really that dirty if its not mardi gras, so i wouldn't go over board with trash, it smells but its not covered in trash. if i was going to capture the spirt of the city i would definitely make it wet, its aways raining and they spray the streets off daily, thats when the city is the most beautiful to me. check out this gallery i found this is what new orleans looks like at night to me... tons of contrast! and its always a bit foggy from the river at night so bloom is off the chain.

http://www.asergeev.com/pictures/archives/compress/2005/445/11x.htm
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Arsh! It's actually based off the Disney New Orleans. So maybe I relied on that too much. I'll work on pushing the wetness of the scene. That with pushing the fog should get across the wetness and vibe of it.