Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Oh I felt as if It was a little high resolution.(crisp, sharp, clean, visible) take your pick. :) Thanks for the texture sheet looks just like him & now I understand why It looks so good. :)

Still looks bad ass at 256² did you guys already send them in?

Otherwise good luck guys!
  • FreshDumbledore
    update on my rallyecar:
    my programmingbuddy said I could double the texturesize :) -->more ads
    4q0qiq.png

2zipx1w.png
  • ToothyMang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if that's based on a real rally car design, but it looks a little random and cluttered.
  • FreshDumbledore
    ToothyMang wrote: »
    I'm not sure if that's based on a real rally car design, but it looks a little random and cluttered.

I saw most of it in several pictures and put it together... Well I guess you are right, I'll change that
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    update on my rallyecar:
    my programmingbuddy said I could double the texturesize :) -->more ads

Nice. You might want to post the wires / texture for us though. (this is not the sort of thread for beauty renders without explanation)
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    kind of a boring night/morning.

Capture-113.pngstairscopy.png
  • bASEL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @willy-wilson: it looks great, at first I thought that it was pixelart... I guess it still is ;) Only the teleportthingy looks a little flat.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea i don't think im going to keep that TBH, ill find something to put there.
  • guncow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there, I'm newbie in 3d.
    So, this is my first lowpoly model and I would like to have some critics on this model.
    782 polys.
    lowpoly1.png
  • McPandaBurger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McPandaBurger polycounter lvl 12
    GulleGull wrote: »
    my first post & my first lowpoly. for a school assignment.
    I would like to try this forum,it seams great.
    hoping for feedback. thanks.

gasdude.jpg

THis is pretty cool the head reminded me of this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/Merskum/Keencopy2.jpg
  • paradise.engineering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paradise.engineering polycounter lvl 11
    zabuza2.png
    zabuza4.png
    zabuza1.png
    zabuza3.png

1300 tris 512x512 texture

mugetsu%2Bpromo.jpg
    mugetsu%20wip%2014.jpg
    1600 tris, 512x512 texture
    actually i use 256x256 textures when i use my models in warcraft but i used the original 512x512 for these screenshots

edit:
    you're right, these are too high poly i'll only post under 800 from now on. i can also say that the faces are triangles so this should count for something. anyway i got the message loud and clear
    i understand this kind of modeling is in between and i'm sure it's not as fun as the kind you guys are doing. Hope i'll improve.
    Also.. have you used a felt tip pen to texture this? and then scanned it in? having looked at it closer, looks like there is ink bleeding on this, which suggests its done on actual paper o_O props to you if you did! hehe
    sorry to disappoint you again, that's just photoshop brush. you seam to have some solid knowledge and i wish i'd be able to see some of your work.

here are the wires
    blueprints.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    1600 tris is quite alot of this thread, although it is considered "lowpoly" these days, its too high for hand held/mobile games. however, seeming as you have already posted it, i would say that flats and wires would be needed if your looking for critiques, maybe start your own thread for this or post it in the WAYWO thread!
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Even the torso is a bit much for being 400 tris. the poly distribution is too much like Sims skins (the case of low poly body, EXTREME HAIR POLYAGE on top of low poly stock face geometry)

also try going for really low textures. Push some pixels at 128x128. right now the texture looks like a screen capture not making the most out of 512x512, I can almost make out the NTSC bleeding
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also.. have you used a felt tip pen to texture this? and then scanned it in? having looked at it closer, looks like there is ink bleeding on this, which suggests its done on actual paper o_O props to you if you did! hehe
  • Paulewog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulewog polycounter lvl 8
    Hey all, Just posting a little portfolio work sample I whipped up yesterday!

Mech1.jpg

Mechanic
  • drelectro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drelectro polycounter lvl 8
    oh boy .. dont get me wrong, its a nice model but its far from optimized.

how could it be that in pages 1 to 100 of this thread there are so much nice models with a polycount of 500 tris? because the posters cared about the polycount.. this is what this threat now is missing! i am officially sad.
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krisCrash polycounter lvl 9
    I agree, but I haven't felt up to starting the discussion, because I feel like a jerk when I do. This thread has made me gawk at many a texture trick, and I have learned a ton about making every edge matter.

This is what you guys need to do: EVERY TRIANGLE IN THERE should add to the model, otherwise, get rid of it.
    Some of you don't have enough edges for deformation, or extra edges that will actually make your rigging a tough time. Read the thread and the topology notes on the wiki, is all I can say.

Guncow: Think about your silhouette. What is your design? Make sure that is the tri count, not the quad count ;) 3 loops for a joint is not necessary.

willy-wilson: cute, clean style. Glow works very nice.

paradise: wires please ;D maybe the hair could be handled better with a few alpha planes? Is the anatomy intended, if not, I have some crits I can throw your way about that too.

Paulewog: has a great look, but you really don't need all those edges - especially the gloves stick out. Fingers don't need them to deform, cheat!

If you model 3 sections, use the middle phalanx as the deformation zone and use only 2 bones. Here is 2 finger joints done with ONE bone so you can see what I mean:
    tthand.png
  • Paulewog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kriscrash: thanks for the tips :). I'll look at optimizing this guy. I think the reason why I have so many is for rigging purposes. I was taught in school that 3 loops are necessary for proper deformation. I guess its hard to get out of that mindset. Thanks again for the diagram.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    The 500 triangle "appreciation club" still exists, but for player models this is now somewhere in the sub-1000 triangle range. The thread should really just state the triangle count to avoid misunderstandings like these.

The character I posted a page or so back was 352 triangles, just to give you an idea.
  • Paulewog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cut the tri count by about 300.
    mech2.jpg

@kriscrash: if you can, let me know how the hands look low enough.

@drelectro: Happy?
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoah, you were quick with that! Yes that looks good, it should be riggable, though this method means some bones will not have verts assigned to them, but it works. You could raise the vert between the index and the rest of the fingers to simulate some roundness of the back of the hand.
    $!nz wrote: »
    The 500 triangle "appreciation club" still exists, but for player models this is now somewhere in the sub-1000 triangle range. The thread should really just state the triangle count to avoid misunderstandings like these.

The character I posted a page or so back was 352 triangles, just to give you an idea.

well, there's a slight problem that it is taken too literal
    500-1000 is rather little for an environment, but way much for a weapon imo, and people still post them here with that detail degree.. howeverrr.. it probably makes sense in a low poly 1st person shooter to have a higher end weapon.

oh I forgot that I wanted to post the rest of that hand I showed...
    tt.png
    700tris
    I could use some help on my cruddy texture
    ttex.png
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Agreed, 1000+ polies is too much for the amount of detail in those four characters.

Guncow - If you're new, you've got the best opportunity to avoid bad habits. My advice right now is to go and make a human, as accurately as possible. Hold out on fantasy for a bit. Start a thread, gather reference, and kick ass. Give yourself, say, 500 triangles and model all the important proportions. Then do that again (no cheating by copying off of the 1st model!) to get it more ingrained. Then increase the polycount a bit, etc etc.

Paradise.Engineering - your hair is your problem, when we're talking about polycounts. The long hair looks like it eats up about half of the total polycount. Anatomywise, the most jarring thing are the spiky shoulders, followed by weird proportions. The poses are pretty stiff as well, model your blokes in a pose that feels comfortable. Get up, stand, and see what feels good. You'll likely have your arms a bit lower, and your elbows bent.

Paulewog - as mentioned, toss some polies from those gloves. The chamfer on the wrench is also unnecessary, and you need to adjust the amount of sides to the radius of the loops - this is very noticable in the hat. I also think there's a bit of a dissonance between the model and the texture. First off the resolution feels to low, either increase the texture or (preferably, since, yknow, lowpoly thread) simplify the mesh. You don't need 7 sides on the legs, 5 or 6 is enough, and I think you can toss a loop on the arms too. Round shapes (belly, head, bum, pretty much everything on this guy actually) usually benefit from being more like a geosphere than a cube.
    Just saw you posted again, so here's some more: The hands could still lose that 1 narrow strip, and 1 of the loops around the fingers IMO. I'd also remove the center loop on the back, and pull the front-center one forward to round out the belly some. It might also be a good idea to uniquely unwrap the center polies so it'll be less symmetrical. Oh, and you might want to make it so your unwraps is a bit more straight, especially around the shoulders. Chamfer the frontcenter loop of the hat.

KrisCrash - you need to paint in some shadows, that's the biggest issue. I think the ankles need to be a lot thinner (tapered), and the toes need to stick out some. Right now it's more tubular than even a horse's leg. Perhaps it's a good idea to make the middle of the back a single strip, would save you polygons, and the mirroring of the texture is very noticable right now.

Here are some general tips for everyone in this thread:

Check the silhouette, at least 1.000.000 times
    In lowpoly, probably the most important part is the silhouette. Similarly to normalmaps you can fake a simple indent, but you can't fake a small bump. For this reason, you should check if your bumps (noses, ears, etc) look good enough. Of course you need to check the rest of the silhouette too, check proportions and blockiness. Because of this, I often work in flat shaded viewports so I can just toggle the wireframes like so:
    volvo440_driver001.png
    P.S. that's a sneak peak of something I'm working on right now. A driver/selfportrait for my Volvo. Currently about 400 triangles.

Reduce your loops
    One of the most common mistakes I is when people use an incorrect amount of sides for a cylinder or sphere. Thinner parts need less polygons. A good starting point would be 6 sides for legs, 5 sides for arms.
    rings_sides.png

man i should make some proper tutorials for stuff like this at some point
  • Delko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
    I finally have something to post on this forum ;D
    lowpolycar.png
  • Foran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! I'm semi-new to this forum, and not new per se to modelling, but I am new to UV unwrapping and am horrible at it. Anyways, I started making a low poly model for a game I want to work on for ipad/tablet systems,
    And I was wondering what your guys thoughts are. The UV is a quick 4 minute mock up and in no way the final product.

Also, I'm using blender and there is no reliable way that I know of to get a tri count. if anyone could show me how, it'd be appreciated. I also can't figure out how to get a solid, but at the same time wire-framed view of my stuff.

TrRjH.png
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko wrote: »
    I have finally have something to post on this forum ;D
    lowpolycar.png

that is oozing with style i LOVE this.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    ditto. Crazy Cars V for iphone plz.
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    @Delko, nice first! love the 70s colour style! :poly142:
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ KrisCrash, Like most your work, i really like it! but you have the same problem as me it seems, not enough depth in the texture (shadows and highlights) i always find that the hardest part

@Snader, I agree with everything you've said, i think your comments will be really helpful for everyone you've mentioned, thanks on their behalf! also nice base mesh!

@Delko, Thats awesome man, i love the texture work on the wheels and glass especially! Gimme more..!

@Foran, not a bad start.. i think you can reduce the polys alot though, wire frames would help... also your wasting ALOT of texture space... maybe this will help!

Untitled-1.jpg
    All the green outlined stuff can be overlapped to share a small amount of texture space, at the moment this is eating alot of your texture space up.
    The wheels are the same, so you can overlap them aswell. Everything marked with purple is wasted space and can be made more useful. By getting rid of the wasted space you can provide larger areas for your more detailed red panels which will then look less pixelated.
    Also, i am a Blender user too for most of my low poly work (maya for HP stuff these days) and its a great tool, for presenting your LP models i suggest you go into user preferences>System & OpenGL and turn off Mipmaps for sharper textures. Instead of rendering you should also take a direct screen grab of your viewport with axis' and grids turned off. this will give you a flat, none oversampled view of your model and people can critique it better! The "face count" in blender is in the top right corner, to find out triangles, select your entire mesh in edit mode and press CTRL-T to triangulate it then read the face count number!

I have some more Gilbert stuff in the works... will post soon(ish)!:D

Edit: Boredom and looking through Kenneth Fejer's (Tennis on PC) website has resulted in me making this....thing... :)

tanky.jpg
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yes, I know I need more contrast but it was more like.. tips how to do that.
    Oh well I messed around more. I keep forgetting that these things are not supposed to be seen at high resolution
    Fat ankles are staying!! They match his fat wrists. (central back edge helps my rigging sanity but I guess I can change it, I painted the stripes to look less dumb when mirrored and I can do it bettar too)
    Needs more work work work.
    tt2.png
  • super dza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5496369021_c3cb4bf5c1.jpg

ahoi!

finally I got something to post here, my first experience in 3D.
    still have a lot of questions about UVW, and this pixel style rendering.
    cant find any tutorials.

I used 3Dmax7 and Ps CS2
  • Delko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
    -delete this post plz-
  • super dza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5496930125_0c0337cbd7_b.jpg

captain knuckles from misadventures of flapjack
  • ToothyMang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super dza: I think either the shirt or the face should be changed, because the pixelly shirt and the smooth mouth and eyes looks funny together. Try to keep close to similar texel density across the whole model.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    messed around with the tank model i did earlier... 2 hours later i have a little multiplayer game!:)

Its like tank football, but you can knock each other around with guns too, im trying to control both tanks at the same time in this video and failing at it, so sorry about that ! xD

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ32INyfY0M[/ame]

Blender Game Engine ^_^ (have blender on my USB stick.. cant get onto Unity at College!)
  • Ben_Flex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben_Flex polycounter lvl 14
    I finally have something to post on this forum ;D
    lowpolycar.png

delko, i really like your delorean!

I like to go on a forum about "driver" (a 1999 game) modding comunity. We started to talk about a "back to the futur" addon for driver.

here is the link, if you are interested making low poly cars. The modding tools are pretty easy.

for the specs see: this thread
  • Delko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
    Ben_Flex wrote: »
    delko, i really like your delorean!

I like to go on a forum about "driver" (a 1999 game) modding comunity. We started to talk about a "back to the futur" addon for driver.

here is the link, if you are interested making low poly cars. The modding tools are pretty easy.

for the specs see: this thread
    Thanks, the car i based it on is actually a Lotus Esprit Turbo, but I decided to make it a bit longer and wider, an thus everyone whos seen it so far has called it a delorean lol.
    Ill look into the driver moding, I cant program worth anything so maybe I could get it in game.
    lotuspoly.png
    Little update; I added rear view mirrors and exhaust pipes.
    Please play this in the background while viewing this image for maximum effect:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAk27BvWpsg&feature=related[/ame]

@krisChrash maybe tweak the palette a bit to make the texture pop? I did a quick photoshop using the tried and true "tint that shit purple" technique to show what I mean: tigerguy.png
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotuspoly.png
    Looks really styleised, loving the colours but your texture could easily be halved in size or even quartered, for instance the underside of the car need not be bigger than 3 pixels and the main part of the car could be mirrored. :poly124:
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulewog wrote: »
    Mech1.jpg

How do you guys get planes to extend out from your mesh like that? Do you just extrude an edge instead of a face and then delete the other sides?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    extruding an edge will work, can't say off top of my head if it will have planes on both sides. obviously he didn't delete back faces as you can see between legs
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks a bit like he made a back side to the apron with a simpler shape, even!

Delko: Purple??! I LIKE it! Keeping note of that, saved. Might make the shadows blend more easily.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    3 day game project. Day 1:
    rot01.png
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Love it so far dude!
  • Buppy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update; I added rear view mirrors and exhaust pipes.
    Please play this in the background while viewing this image for maximum effect:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAk27BvWpsg&feature=related

I loved this game. Props for you.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Aw :( Poor Fred.

rot07.png

Thanks Ceebee :)

As for coding, my coder's got the day/night cycle working. Z-sorting done. Bounding box collision done. Troop combat logic is almost fleshed out.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Aw :( Poor Fred.

rot07.png

Thanks Ceebee :)

As for coding, my coder's got the day/night cycle working. Z-sorting done. Bounding box collision done. Troop combat logic is almost fleshed out.

reminds me of revenge of the titans.
  • premium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    premium polycounter lvl 13
    @glynnsmith: damn good style! can't wait to play that game. :)
  • super dza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToothyMang wrote: »
    super dza: I think either the shirt or the face should be changed, because the pixelly shirt and the smooth mouth and eyes looks funny together. Try to keep close to similar texel density across the whole model.

agree, it's just a first steps in 3d, a lot of things to understand. thanx for your comment anyway!
  • super dza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5500289334_89ff92356e_z.jpg

here is an akai mpc 2000xl sampler cartoon model
  • Polynurb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynurb polycounter lvl 15
    A Ford Fusion Nascar vehicle built for the Nintendo DS, for a game that never came to be.
    I built this vehicle and tested it within the Nitro Viewer, but it never actually saw game play on a real track. Vehicle is an LOD1, player drivable vehicle.

Fusion_DS.png
  • Delko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
    @Polynurb nice UVmap man, puts mine to shame.

challenge.png
    race.png