Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

powerboxx

iflingpoo
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
iflingpoo polycounter lvl 18
Just finished up this generic powerbox... or is it a telephone box??? I have no idea anyway just practicing with highpoly stuff with bakes and what not. I brought this into Zbrush to do the small details like dents and what not.

Powerbox_Shot01_Full.jpg
Powerbox_Shot02_Full.jpg

Crap now that i look at it the wire on the bottom could use a bit of softening :P

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    how the hell is that 4k faces, also the cylinders/wire have too many loops around and not enough at the bends.
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking really nice. I think your attention to detail while you were texturing this really paid off. I'm gunna agree with ZacD, I think you should try to put loops in the places where they will really matter on your wires and tubes. The wire on the bottom especially needs some more love, but you already noticed that. I'm be curious to see how many polys you can get this down to.
  • iflingpoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i got super lazy with the wires, theres alot of them going up out of the shot, i'll go in and trim it down
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    looks awesome! my only comment would be the AO on the corners of the box detract from the shape and realism, could paint those out and leave just the cracks, and it'd look a bit more finished & polished! I can see where they may be coming from - like folded metal, but I don't think showing that is really necessary. If you do want to show it, maybe make the lines in the diffuse just a more saturated version of the color to show where paint is, but not hit by erosion. The metal itself is very convincing, simplicity rules! Part of me feels like the specular may be a tad too noisy, but it still reads well.

love the graphiti! the paint brush marks are really convincing.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    i really like that! :O
  • iflingpoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for the crits, I chopped this guy down to 2990 faces, there were tons of useless loops and caps on the wires :P i get super lazzyy when it comes to that stuff

moose: which part are you talking about on the corners?? i smoothed out the normal that was causing a few creases but not sure exactly what u meant
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    One tiny nitpick: The 'MAMOTH' tag looks jarringly like a rotated texture instead of someone actually trying to write sideways. I think you should make it sloppier and have some lines trailing downwards.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice. My only crit is I don't care for the color of the wood pole. It looks too similar to the olive green junction box. Maybe try a more natural wood and less painted wood. Should give a nice contrast between your implied materials.

my 2c
  • NoChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing that popped out to me immediately is that the graffiti over the large dent would need to be distorted where the dent is if it was painted after the box was dented since the surface angle is different. If it was done after, and I think this would look cooler, the paint would be flaked, chipped, and scratched from the metal bending, and from whatever object hit it.

Just a small detail to really help sell the graffiti.

Edit: Also from looking at your specular it doesn't take into account the paint at all which makes the graffiti seem really flat. Make it shinier then the metal box.

For example, this is cropped for the more important area but its graffiti on a subway car and you can clearly see light highlighting off the paint more then the metal.

exampleqv.jpg