Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modular Sci Fi - UDK

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
Here is a sci fi scene that I have been working on using a modular workflow. I created all the textures first, and then modeled everything thereafter. This is a first pass, and I will really be going through and tearing out the back end of the ship for a future update, but here is where I am at now. This shot is rendered in UDK, and all lighting and post processing is placeholder as of now. Let me know if I'm on the right track so far, thanks guys!scifi3.jpg

Replies

• aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I like it a lot!can you show the modular pieces separate too?
  • Mike Yevin
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    the dof is a little extreme, i tend to hate when its anymore than barely noticeable but thats just me. i also feel like there is quite a bit of blue in your scene, i would try and add more color variation with the lighting (similar to what you have at the end of the hallway) as well as adding some variation to your textures. metal tends to have quite a bit of color variation when you look at it. another thing to consider is a focal point, because right now the blank wall at the end of the hallway isn't really cutting it for me. it looks like you have the start of something with those sparks though

also, idk if its just the shot you have or what but it looks like you need to tweak your specular as i don't see much evidence of one (metal tends to be shiny to some extent)

overall is looking great but you obviously have some things to address. keep it up, id like to see you push this
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    DOF ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!! Seriously. too much.

Add some light fog too. That could add the the scene.
  • Naz
    Offline / Send Message
    Naz polycounter lvl 7
    Looks good, personally I would make one lamp either dimmer or broken to give a variety.
  • Spitfire
    Nice start, other than the dof, you could really need some normalmaps or geometry that gives the details more depth, also work on your speculars, you got lots of metal in there that could use some beautiful specular sheen to really bring some more life to your surfaces.
    Keep going, its a solid start!
  • Cordell Felix
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    really sweet dude, as i said before..those tubes looked really cool when they had less emissive
  • burtonyang
    It's so bright my eyes hurt. The emissives on the sides distract me from your focal point. Anyway, you might want to add more variation into your scene with some broken parts to create a better interest leading up to the end of the hallway. Leading people with curiosity will create a big interest into what's at the end of the hallway. I would try to create some kind of story.
  • Darkmaster
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    Alright guys, I tuned the emissives as well as the DOF and I think this is looking way better! I am getting some breaking in the lighting on the tile pieces that are in the foreground of these shots though, I was wondering if anybody has any ideas why. I am going to be experimenting with more texture variation this weekend, but here is an update! Thanks for the feedback guys!
    scifi1.jpg
  • PolyTech
    Its all about the story behind the environment make it interesting
    scifipaintover.jpg
  • rambooze
    Offline / Send Message
    rambooze polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome! I like both.
  • S_ource
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Looks nice would like to see the modular pices separate and maybe with some wireframe and small preview maps?
  • Mr.Wednesday
    Love it! But like S_ource, I would like to see the modular pieces and some wireframe... :) Pretty please?