Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LBP sackboy with SC2 marine costume

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
Hey, I thought id post my WIP for the Little Big Planet sackboy competition at gameartisans.org.

Here it is so far. Specs are 1998 tris. 512 diffuse/specular/normal

im still doing high poly sculpting. i still need to do the midriff area and inbetween the arms and legs. the texture is just AO with basic colors layed out, havnt actually started putting details in yet.

30igzfm.jpg

16gdvt.jpg

11ak4si.jpg

x3soko.jpg

Replies

• Envart
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    This is cool. Not really seeing the sack texture on his face though.
  • Visceral
    Yeah the normals on the sackboys face looks really wrong. The rest of the model is fantastic!
  • Macattackk
    Offline / Send Message
    yea, i tried to go with a different cloth texture but didnt really work out. guess ill just go withe classic one i originally had.
  • X-One
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    Don't be hellbent on doing everything in Zbrush. For things like the fabric pattern on Sackboy, it's perfectly viable to get very good results by adding the fabric normals post-bake. You'll most likely end up with cleaner and much more easily read normals in the end.
  • Macattackk
    Offline / Send Message
    thats a good idea X-One.

I took a compromise and just lessened the intensity of the cloth texture since it was just on a layer in zbrush. i also went back to the original cloth texture which looks more like cloth. I then added the photoshop alpha i used to make the cloth in zbrush as a texture in the diffuse so it has more depth.

I also tried something new and baked my normals/AO at 2048 and 1024 and resized them down to 512 in photoshop which gave them better quality. Just gotta finish high poly in certain areas, fix some of those distorted areas in the bake and actually texture it.

2wq643o.jpg

34so0w7.jpg
  • Macattackk
    Offline / Send Message
    update, just gotta texture now.

edit: anyone have any idea as to why the shading on my gun is freaking out? im using marmoset.

2exabk8.jpg

r216wx.jpg
  • DDuckworth
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    When i first took a look I wondered what in the world you had on his face, I had only read the SC2 Marine part of your thread title but now that i see the textured version it looks great :)

For the gun freaking out if you are using maya it's best to use marmoset's stooge exporter, it comes with it and is in the documentation on how to use it, I have found just exporting to OBJ's from maya can yield odd results with lighting and shading in marmoset, it seems iffy and works perfectly sometimes but not always.
  • Macattackk
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, ha ha yea, its important to know this is a sackboy. I tried the whole stooge thing and it stayed the same, but I checked off specularity and it looked normal so i guess its just a product of the specular highlights.