Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1860 Gatling gun

searinox
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
searinox polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys!

Let me please introduce myself first, my name is Pablo Poliakov, and this is my first thread here.

I just finished this model for a client, and just wanted to share it here, so all your thougths and comments on it will be more than welcome! I´m currently unemployed and looking for a job, so I hope that with your help I´ll be able to improve my skills with my next projects!

So, here are the screens:

gatling1.jpg
gatling2.jpg
gatling3.jpg
gatling4.jpg
gatling5.jpg
gatling6.jpg

Modelled in max, textured in photoshop and displayed in marmoset

Hope you like it!

PD: I am aware that my english skills are pretty poor, its not my first, not even my secon languaje, so please, if you see that I make any -big- mistake when I write, let me know

Replies

• kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    I don't see any pictures?
  • searinox
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, fixed them, I posted the wrong links :)

EDIT: damn, still working strange, changin the host
    EDIT 2: ok, new host, now it should work fine
  • selentic
    Looks nice, really diggin the colours. The scratches though, seem really arbitrary, like you put scratches just for the sake of having scratches. Maybe it's my preference towards clean/newish objects, but to me they seem like they're placed in areas that probably wouldn't see a whole lot of wear and tear.
  • searinox
    Offline / Send Message
    selentic wrote: »
    Looks nice, really diggin the colours. The scratches though, seem really arbitrary, like you put scratches just for the sake of having scratches. Maybe it's my preference towards clean/newish objects, but to me they seem like they're placed in areas that probably wouldn't see a whole lot of wear and tear.

Thanks for the input, selentic!

The idea behind those its not only to show damage on the surface, but to reveal the shape of some parts. Think about it like an aesthetic intention. Still, you made a very good point there, I´ll have that in mind for sure, thank you!
  • MatthewS
    I like the style of it. Selentic is right however in that your grunge seems to be random and all over the place.

For instance the wear on the metal(?) support bands on the stabilizing rod under the seat. It is understandable to have the wear on the top like you have it, but it would not be as uniform as you have it. It would instead become less predominant the closer you get to the gun mount until you actually get to the gun mount. This would be because the gun would get in the way of anything that would move to damage that part of the model. and the part right under the gun mount would be more damaged because of accidents while assembling it.

Post up references, wireframes, and texture sheets if you can, because it looks like your specular could use some work.
  • woogity
    I don't know much about the weapon but it seems a bit strange that the barrels are round to the tip then octagonal. looks pretty cool tho man, love the ammo drum.
  • searinox
    Offline / Send Message
    MatthewS wrote: »
    I like the style of it. Selentic is right however in that your grunge seems to be random and all over the place.

For instance the wear on the metal(?) support bands on the stabilizing rod under the seat. It is understandable to have the wear on the top like you have it, but it would not be as uniform as you have it. It would instead become less predominant the closer you get to the gun mount until you actually get to the gun mount. This would be because the gun would get in the way of anything that would move to damage that part of the model. and the part right under the gun mount would be more damaged because of accidents while assembling it.

Post up references, wireframes, and texture sheets if you can, because it looks like your specular could use some work.

Wow, thanks for the critique, some very useful stuff here! I think you guys are right, I made wear too preminent all over the model.

Here you have the textures I made, diffuse spec normal and gloss:

gatlingdiffuse.jpg
    gatlingspecular.jpg
    gatlinggloss.jpg
    gatlingnormals.jpg

And here´s the model in max viewport with the wireframe overlay:

wireh.jpg

woogity: I don't know much about the weapon but it seems a bit strange that the barrels are round to the tip then octagonal. looks pretty cool tho man, love the ammo drum.

Thanks!!

The barrel tip actually turned into that hexagonal shape, dont know why, but it looks kind of cool.

gatling9.jpg
  • MatthewS
    Alright.

It looks like your modeling is fine, and your uvs are set up pretty well. There are still a couple things that could be overlapped but you got the majority of it.

I love the way you did the wood wear and I will be stealing that for future use.

So there are 2 things that bother me about your texture maps.

1: Your specular is too dark for your darker metal. Even though it will have less specular than the brass portions of the gun it still will have more than the wood... So brighten that up. Metal also has an almost noisy specular. It is, however, a very small change. So, if your metal spec looks flat after brightening it, try finding a good subtle metal texture and overlaying it onto your metal spec.

2: It looks like you got lazy when you did your normal maps and didn't include any changes you made to the dark metal>.> You don't have the texture from the image you sourced and you don't have any of the damage that you made either... Even though you have it on the brass parts and the wood...

Overall I would say that you did a very good job on this and just some small tweaking will have it perfect for a portfolio.
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Your focus on the renders is to narrow, makeing only a small portion of your model rendered clearly while the rest is blurry. Also, town down the distorted perspective. Its to much atm
  • Mark Dygert
    Awesome, I really like it! Nice work!

I find it a bit odd that you angled those two pieces in the center of your UV layout, instead of rotating them to be flat. There are a lot of lines that are diagonally aliased and would be much more crisp if they where straight. They would also survive a dreaded down res or hold up better when mip mapped if they where flat.

A lot of the UV pieces are packed really closely to the other pieces, which will cause problems if its down res'ed or mip mapped. You want to give yourself some padding and its generally a good idea to group pieces of similar color next to each other so if there is any edge bleeding its not noticeably drastic.

Still, it came out great, nice work.

Oh and the hex shape was to keep the barrels in place. It would counteract the force of the bullet being grooved and spinning as it traveled down the barrel.

NOrmally when you fire a single shot you have time to recover from the spinning force as well as the kick back. Its one of the reasons they tell you to shoot in short bursts when firing automatic weapons, you need to correct your aim because the compounded counter spinning force drifts your aim away and off. It has some other benefits too but that's one of the main ones.