Home General Discussion

Dear Apple : fuck you.

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Joao Sapiro sublime tool
so my stepfather got me the same ipod model i had for 4 years ( except with 160 gigs instead of 80 ) and imagine my surprise when i try to run sharepod ( the program i always used to put music etc since itunes sucks major balls and its riddled with bloated shit , cmon 90 megs ?? )it gives me the error of itunesDB not beeing correct or whatever .

Google searching i found lots of people with the same problem, and the solution ? to install itunes to "reset" the ipod itunesDB , also i cant copy the musics from my old ipod to the new one via copy paste on itunes control , ipod doesnt detect it unless it goes thru itunes first , way to fuck over your costumers !

So i tried to install itunes on my XP64 machine at home and yeah it doesnt allow me to install the 32 bits version ( wtf lots of programs allow you to use the 32 bits version but ok im already expecting retardness ) so i download the 64 bits version and WRONG only vista and higher. But wait , theres an easy hack to enable itunes on windows XP 64 bits , you only need 10 hours to do it :

http://sites.google.com/site/yukichigai/iphonex64

So yeah fuck you apple for forcing me to have to install crappy itunes on my windows 7 64 bits machine wich i was trying to maintain as clean as possible . and fuck you for screwing up your customers.

Replies

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Steve Job says "Fuck you and your 3rd party software!"

And I say fuck expensive mp3 players!
  • DEElekgolo
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Just use anything that plays music. Apple products such as the Ipod are so socially commercialized that old people are starting to call all mp3s in general, Ipods.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Hmmm, I'm not sure it would work for u but I just use ml_ipod Winamp plugin to transfer shit to my ipod (nano 4gb).
    Try it - http://mlipod.sourceforge.net/
    I think the latest Winamp doesn't even require that.
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I use Winamp to just drag my music onto my really old Ipod Video.
  • vcool
    ZacD wrote: »
    Steve Job says "Fuck you and your 3rd party software!"

And I say fuck expensive mp3 players!

qft

We're not helping are we :(
  • Kewop Decam
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    I must be the only person who isn't overly annoyed with itunes.
  • Tom Ellis
    I must be the only person who isn't overly annoyed with itunes.

Nope your not... I love it too.

I personally couldn't give a shit about this mentality of 'oh it's so over complex, all this shit everywhere, just let me play music I don't need it to make coffee etc'... it's a music player for goodness sake. We play music to make ourselves happy, to enjoy it. God forbid they actually make it pretty.

I love having all the pictures of my album artwork as I browse my collection, I love how iTunes says 'oh hey you love that band, here you might like this one too'... ok so they just want my money, but they can have it. If it means I get another 40 mins of musical pleasure from a band I've never heard before then take my $10.

When 3DS Max starts informing me of other apps I might like then that'll be the day I complain.

Just embrace it man, install iTunes, let it do it's thing and enjoy your iPod and your music.

See how much stress you're into because you were so determined to use your 3rd party apps which 'make life less complicated'.

The XP64 thing is stupid though, I agree, there's no excuse for that balls up.
  • Rwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Oh zune you'll never betray me?
  • EarthQuake
    the really funny thing, is i believe itunes works on vista/7 64 bit, lol. have xp64 here too, and i'm using like, itunes 7.6 or someshit(which i luckily had a usb drive somewhere).
  • Pedro Amorim
    buhh uhhh. screw you SON!!!!
    At least you have a new ipod.! i should skull fuck you!
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Sharepod, and all the other 3rd party applications, require you to create the initial iPod database. It's the one thing that they can't create on their own. You should have needed it the first time you used it on your old iPod too...

That said, I think iTunes should be way better than what it is. It's not bad, once I got use to it, but it's still bloated and more complicated than it needs to be.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    what can we say? Bad workman always blames his tools.

iTunes was SPECIFICALLY built to manage music on your iPod. You insist on using a 3rd party software to screw it over? Nice plan!

I really don't see the issue. You're moaning about not being able to use your iPod with the software used to manage it because you built the DB with a 3rd party software that isn't approved to managing the DB on your iPod?? Then blaming the manufacturer because you didn't use their software to sync the mp3 player??!

Thats akin to saying that you'd rather do all your finances on an Amiga 1200, then complaining when it doesn't load up in excel. Microsoft are real assholes because I can't load up my incompatible database on their software! I've lost 25 years of my reports!
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I have never owned an MP3 player and I feel as though I am a happier person for it.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    "arg I lost all my Record collection because of these new fangled CD players!"
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    You raise a valid point, hawken and I couldn't agree more, but I think the main issue Johny was raising was being forced to use iTunes exclusively to manage the music (and all other media) on his iPod. I tried to avoid using iTunes with both my iPod and iPhone and used 3rd party software to manage my music. So as you'd expect I too encountered similar problems as Johny. So I just ended up dealing with using iTunes until I finally had enough and gave away my iPod and then sold my iPhone for $50.

My current device is drag drop... so I manage my media the way I want, and not the way the manufacturer decides for me.
  • Sandro
    I don't know what itunes was specifically built for, but it is ugly, slow and bloated at least on windows.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    My question is why did your father buy an ipod when there are competing brands on the market with better features and a open framework that you can put your tunes on any way you see fit. That and support soooo many more formats like ogg, flac, wma, etc.

Or is it now your stuck with apple since you bought all your tunes in their format?

Cowon for one.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I tunes is good for the unwashed masses, and it is great if you let it treat the devices as it wants, not as you want.

Problem is that we aren't the unwashed masses we are nerds that know how computers actually work.

That being said im loving my iphone 4. In terms of usability and polish it is one impressive beast.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz wrote: »
    I tunes is good for the unwashed masses, and it is great if you let it treat the devices as it wants, not as you want.

Problem is that we aren't the unwashed masses we are nerds that know how computers actually work.

That being said im loving my iphone 4. In terms of usability and polish it is one impressive beast.

My mother ignoring my advice bought a ipod because of that same line. She hated it. She also found it useless for what she had purchased it for. The local library had books on tape patrons to listen to/download. Turns out they recorded them in wma.

So no. I call shenanigans on that line of reasoning.
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Doubletwist! yeaaahhh! Android phone! Yeaaaahh!

...No great games... noooooo...
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    "I personally couldn't give a shit about this mentality of 'oh it's so over complex, all this shit everywhere, just let me play music I don't need it to make coffee etc'... it's a music player for goodness sake. We play music to make ourselves happy, to enjoy it."

"Just embrace it man, install iTunes, let it do it's thing and enjoy your iPod and your music.

See how much stress you're into because you were so determined to use your 3rd party apps which 'make life less complicated'.

The XP64 thing is stupid though, I agree, there's no excuse for that balls up.
    "

Yes , i cant see how tryig to make things less complicated is a bad thing , i always used sharepod since its a 2 megabyte program that i dont even need to install and allows me to copy music from my friends home without having to deal with itunes bullcrap , pardon me if i like simple stuff.
    I wont embrace over the top complex things when i know i can have the same done with 1(10 of the work. Also incase you havent read my post wich i assume you didnt , i DID try to install itunes, but it always went cock shit so i cant even install the god damned thing.

"what can we say? Bad workman always blames his tools."

Excuse me ?

"iTunes was SPECIFICALLY built to manage music on your iPod. You insist on using a 3rd party software to screw it over? Nice plan!"

Screw it over ? sharepod has never damaged my ipod in any way and it made so far my life much easier whenever i go to a friends house and they want to pass me musics , at work i also use it to play playlists etc,thats all i need really , what i mean is , to each his own and i prefer to use sharepod because its better for my needs .

"I really don't see the issue. You're moaning about not being able to use your iPod with the software used to manage it because you built the DB with a 3rd party software that isn't approved to managing the DB on your iPod?? Then blaming the manufacturer because you didn't use their software to sync the mp3 player??!"

Again, read my post thats not what im saying. But ill say it again , i tried to use sharepod it gives me the DB error , thats cool so all i needed was to install itunes , but...it wont work on xp64 bits , and it wont even install the 32 bits version on a 64 bits operating system like other programs that dont have 64 bits versions...

"I have never owned an MP3 player and I feel as though I am a happier person for it."

GReat post, very helpfull , hope you feel better about yourself mate .

"My question is why did your father buy an ipod when there are competing brands on the market with better features and a open framework that you can put your tunes on any way you see fit. That and support soooo many more formats like ogg, flac, wma, etc.

Or is it now your stuck with apple since you bought all your tunes in their format?"

The reason why he bought it i wouldnt know since it was a gift , but i would say that its because maybe i had the same ipod for 4 years that wich he also gave me and that i was very happy with. He isnt a tech nerd so he wouldnt know that stuff.

Emil , thanks for beeing one of the few that read my post entirely :D

So , there...
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    Johny wrote: »
    whenever i go to a friends house and they want to pass me musics , at work i also use it to play playlists etc,thats all i need really , what i mean is

I don't think admitting to pirating helps your case. Which in fact iTunes was made to help prevent.
  • Entity
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    have you tried floola? That's what I use
  • Tom Ellis
    I did read your post, you said you couldn't install iTunes on your XP machine. Which I agreed is plain stupid of Apple and that it's a complete balls up.

But you said you could install it on your Win7 machine.

So I just suggested you give iTunes a shot and rather than just hate on all the 'bloated' features, check them out, embrace them.

There's nothing at all wrong with wanting things less complicated and streamlining your workflow but iTunes isn't just bloated for no reason.

As I said, there's some great tools for discovering new music, coverflow is pretty even if it does seem a bit pointless. As I said though, it's a music player not a productivity app, why would you want to strip it right down?

You wouldn't go to see a movie and ask them to just play the 5 minutes of plot action and complain that the rest of it was 'bloated'.

Given the circumstances, I think you'll end up complicating things far more by searching for a way round it so my point was why not just suck it up, install iTunes (90mb?! Nothing compared to the 500gb or more you've likely got in your system) and let it do it's thing. It may not be your ideal setup but it works.
  • woody_294
    I totally agree that it can be annoying that Apple products don't like unofficial/3rd party software, but I also understand that it's the main reason that Macs don't cock up, having compatibility problems etc.

This doesn't help us PC users in the slightest, I may have fallen victim to their plans because I was looking up Macbooks the other day for doing my artwork stuff on, lol. Also 'cos I had a go of a guys work Macbook Pro and thought it was awesome!

I might have misunderstood, but can't you just load up your old ipod with i-tunes then do the transfer, then go back to sharepod?

I happen to think i-tunes is pretty cool, it does stuff I don't need it too, but then when I have a look at the new features I usually end up using them! I get that you can do all the stuff with "lighter" programs but they're usually not as easy to do on the other software in my experience.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I do have to say, I wish Apple would make it easier for third party apps to exist. My number one reason: Linux. There are a handful of 3rd party apps for Linux, and they basically only transfer music and images. They can't transfer/handle my iTunes purchased items though. If you're going to be stuck using iTunes, I wish Apple would at least make a linux build.
  • kwakkie
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    It's like buying a car that runs on gasoline, and you are being mad at the manufacturer because it broke down when you fueled it with diesel... :thumbup:
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    nope , again read my post.
  • kwakkie
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Ok, so it's the same, except you bought a gasoline car even though you are living in a country where they only serve diesel :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I don't personally have a problem with iTunes, I think it's fantastic. I've found dozens of bands I wouldn't have, otherwise.

It's unfortunate that the software won't run on your OS but you are using a really old OS that's not really supported anymore. Why not upgrade to Windows 7?

It's nice to be able to use the software you want, to do what you want. But in the end, you bought music from apple and they have a proprietary way they want it to be used. Go outside of that realm and it's really your own fault for whatever happens.

I don't think that makes them assholes, it makes them businessmen. Perhaps they go hand in hand but really the music isn't yours, you just license it. If Apple so chooses, there may be specific ways they want it played over anything else.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    you don't like bloated software but you're running windows?
    rimshot!
    I kid! really!

Why not sell both iPods and buy a different mp3 player?
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    My turn!! My turn!!

It's like having a car and being able to fill it with gas any where you want. Then you get a newer car from the same manufacturer and when you go to fill the gas at some random gas station, you find out that the gas you want to put it doesn't work till you put in gas that the manufacturer wants you to use first. Fair enough, just a gallon(or liter) will do... so you jump through the hoops to drive across town to use the gas and when you try to fill it up, they won't take your credit card because they personally think it's old and dated and won't charge correctly on their shiny systems, so they refuse to support it. Your card works fine, and has worked fine for years and still works everywhere, just not this station because they just "say so".

Now you gotta borrow someone else's CC so you can get a bit of gas...

Did I get it? Kinda? A little?
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Why i hate my iPod (2nd Gen):

# There is no way to sort you music by folders. That means: 10 songs of 1 folder with different ID3-Tags get 10 folders on the iPod.

# When it rains and some drops reach your pod, it's hard to navigate with this fancy wheel.

# Just 1 year guarantee? They know exactly why!

# Very often my pod is resetting itself. All has to be reconfigurated, also the backlight (have fun in no-light areas to find the menu).

# Why do i need iTunes to upload music? Why can't just open a explorer window where i can drop my music?

# The white headphones are crap. I thought my iPod was to quiet! It's not! With my new Sennheiser the pod has perfect loudness.

# iTunes on PC sucks ass! Only renaming some ID3 Tag info is slower than uploading Mp3's to the iPod.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    "It's unfortunate that the software won't run on your OS but you are using a really old OS that's not really supported anymore. Why not upgrade to Windows 7?

It's nice to be able to use the software you want, to do what you want. But in the end, you bought music from apple and they have a proprietary way they want it to be used. Go outside of that realm and it's really your own fault for whatever happens. "

I have a computer on my living room wich so far has never let me down , im not going to update to a new windows just because of an mp3 gadget.

Lamont , i understand that you may be bored .

EDIT : this is not a thread to say what i like or not on ipods . IT was merely stating that the software is nowhere near helpfull to make the ipod work as i , the paying costumer that own the device want and CAN use. For the macnujobs ( hawken ) i want to state that i really love my ipod when it comes to play music, playlists and movie playback .

So installed itunes on my Work PC , pluged the ipod and started the program. Quit , opened sharepod and works as it used to work now . Iv got my playlists back etc everything works again. Thanks to those that really wanted to help !
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Lamont , i understand that you may be bored .
    Yeah, we're just fucking with you now.
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    I like my Creative Zen. Fraction of the price of an Ipod, bigger screen, normal usb plug and I can just click and drag all my music to it. Heck it comes with a universal 32 bit conversion software for converting movies to it's little screen and it uses a universal memory chip that you can plug into cameras and ps3s, and heck they don't cost much either. This coupled with Spotify renders Apple Anything utterly worthless in my eyes. The goddamned brand is 80% of the price.

I'd suggest returning the Ipod and getting something not shit :P
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Hawken was very acid there :)

I always managed my mp3s as they were memory sticks, and when not, using windows media or the small apps provided by the manufacturer. I also use mediamonkey for my huge collection.

I have a creative Zen vision M with a HDD of 60GB, i have had an ipod touch and i returned it because in my opinion its music quality was pathetic compared with the creative (3rd generation ipod), and now, i have a Cowon J3, and it's like to be in a different league, and more when i use them with my sennheiser 380 pro or aurvana live.

With this, i want to say that why apple? there are better choices in the market. If something does not work, we go for other product and end of problems.

If you are not happy with your ipod, return it!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i cant return it since it was an expensive present from someone who i respect alot but still feels insecure on my family a.k.a my moms husband and new stepfather . I know what you are saying but i cant return this .

EDIT : also im not unhappy with my ipod , for the last time someone read at least skim , what i wrote .
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    and now, i have a Cowon J3, and it's like to be in a different league, and more when i use them with my sennheiser 380 pro or aurvana live

W00t! Another Cowon owner who knows about the sound quality difference!
  • Taylor Hood
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    First-world problems
    The best problems to have.
  • EarthQuake
    Lamont wrote: »
    My turn!! My turn!!

It's like having a car and being able to fill it with gas any where you want. Then you get a newer car from the same manufacturer and when you go to fill the gas at some random gas station, you find out that the gas you want to put it doesn't work till you put in gas that the manufacturer wants you to use first. Fair enough, just a gallon(or liter) will do... so you jump through the hoops to drive across town to use the gas and when you try to fill it up, they won't take your credit card because they personally think it's old and dated and won't charge correctly on their shiny systems, so they refuse to support it. Your card works fine, and has worked fine for years and still works everywhere, just not this station because they just "say so".

Now you gotta borrow someone else's CC so you can get a bit of gas...

Did I get it? Kinda? A little?

Hahaha, yes, finally a relevant analogy.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    In reference to him getting something different, there isn't anything out there that can match the iPod. The closest thing is the Zune, and it's weak. I know the main purpose is mp3s, but the Zen doesn't let you browse the web and check emails. The Zune doesn't allow for apps other than what MS deems necessary for most users. The only possible replacements, are Android phones, which don't have proper battery life to sustain listening to music all day, and still use it to make calls later.

The problem he has, isn't the device. It's the crappy software that the device requires. Sure, it has great features for finding music/movies/podcasts. It now is attempting social networking too. But what about adding music? The simplest task that software is suppose to perform, and it's as easy as unwrapping plastic from a new CD, using snow gloves. It should support drag-drop directly to my iPod (not iTunes, THEN my iPod). Not to mention, how many times it's wiped my content, because the location changed (or my network drive went down), or it couldn't connect to iTunes.

I understand why you can't open it in Explorer. They need to cater to the music/movie industries, and have some control over purchased content. Obviously it's extremely easy to get around that, but they have to do SOMETHING to keep the outdated industry warm and cozy.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
  • Taylor Hood
    Skamberin wrote: »
    The best problems to have.

I guess so ;]
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    SimonT wrote: »
    Why i hate my iPod (2nd Gen):

# There is no way to sort you music by folders. That means: 10 songs of 1 folder with different ID3-Tags get 10 folders on the iPod.

select the songs, right click > info > options > part of a compilation > you = happy. :)
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    There's an example though. I knew about the 'compilation' option to combine things, but honestly, why would you have to give him that tip if iTunes was so great? Honestly, it should just be more intuitive.

Every time I rip a soundtrack CD, or something like Eminem (w/guest artists), it spreads the tracks out under unknown. Then I have to reselect them and tell iTunes it's a compilation.
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    didn't say i like itunes, only found out about this little trick the day before yesterday ;). My ipod was really annoying to handle cause i had a lot of the same album in there :(
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like you did. Just making a generalized statement to anyone still reading ;)
  • evilblah
    Offline / Send Message
    evilblah polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure if someone posted this yet or not but I got sleepy reading everything...

iDump is a great program that rips all the music you put on your ipod/phone/annoying machine that locks up and dies when the power runs out... onto your computer. really handy for backing up music before you wipe(throw against wall/drive over/set fire to) your device.