Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: HAL

HAL
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
HAL polycounter lvl 13
This projekt started around one year ago and since then, I worked on it from time to time ( see progress pictures). Besides that long time, the major progress that I started to like about this project began around 3 month ago.

Now I finally have the time to finish this and want to create a similar thread to what Adam did with his environment.
So feel free to critique it and I hope that I learn enough out of this (and maybe you too)

Note: this whole project may take some time ^^

Scifi suit:

This whole thing started out as a mod idea for Fo3 which I since dropped. I know that there is alot of stuff which doesnt look good or right but thats what this thread is intended for.
(Also please note that when I started this project I wasnt really good at subd)

The first idea was to create something similar to what Slipgatecentral did with his
dominance war entry and somehow a crossover between the crysis suit and the former mentioned one.

Though the main goal of this thread is to create something unique so alot of the stuff that can be clearly identified as inspired by the source material will be reworked/replaced.

Goals:

-create the suit mostly with subd (yeah no sculpting except for the cushion parts inside of the shoulder pads and that thing around the neck for example)

-develop this into a full character

-improve my subd skills

-improve my concepting skills (I started with crappy concept drawings ( I didnt
really thought of them as that important :/ ) at first but that will improve so expect some drawings here)

-will be full textured

-maybe a base for it later or something.

Inspirational sources:

Mass effect, Crysis, Slipgate's dom war entry, any other scifi suit stuff.

Existing concepts so far with timeline, the top one is the newest.

(beware of the crappy drawings)

concepttimeline.jpg

Current progress shot for the mesh:

progression.jpg

Current work state:

progress2.jpg

progress3.jpg

Closeups:

closeup.jpg

suitmore2.jpg

Stuff that I like/will change/ dont like (green/yellow/red)

neededchange.jpg

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Youre putting so many tiny details ... before even blocking out the main body shapes.
    Get that body done over a few evenings > screenshot it from different angles > draw your final concept on top of that > then model!

You are wasting alot of time putting in all that stuff that might not even be needed on the final piece, but that you will be most likely be very attached to because you spent so much time on it.

So yeah one step at a time!

Good luck!

-btw I quite like your diagrams/concepts, very good approach!
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Thank you!

I completely agree with you, the main problem is the lack of focus/direction/concept for it. I will continue to create a more clear concept now.

I planned to do reorientation here for quite a while now and finally have the time, those diagrams are my approach at making the whole process more transparent as the mesh kinda 'grew'
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    ultra necro

Ok I practiced drawing a bit and did some silhouettes for the chest area.

I am currently trying to outline and consolidate the overall style of the armor to make it fit together and not look like a patchwork as it currently does.

Referring to the first post this marks the red area which needed a rework primary from my view.

I really appreciate input :)

silhouettes.jpg
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Pior's right, you need to spend some time just figuring out your overall approach, otherwise this will turn out like all too much 3d work turns out these days: beautifully invested in details, but a disparate unfocused mess overall.

"Though the main goal of this thread is to create something unique so alot of the stuff that can be clearly identified as inspired by the source material will be reworked/replaced."

The trouble is that you're not going to get a unique look by approaching it piecemeal, at best you'll likely end up with a minor variation based on your inspirations.

Take a look at Ukitakumuki, if you haven't already. Here's an artist who has really nailed a certain brand of near-future powered armor looks that are convincing and interestingly detailed, and he's done a lot of them.

http://ukitakumuki.deviantart.com/art/Space-Vagabonds-Assaulter-146425971
    http://ukitakumuki.deviantart.com/art/Space-Vagabonds-Psi-Ops-146426296
    http://ukitakumuki.deviantart.com/art/Tears-of-a-distant-sun-112733722

Now while his work is really polished I don't think it's going to help you get that kind of unique look you're going for simply because it's too close to other sources. If you really want your design to stand out you're going to have to adopt a radically different approach to colors, materials, detailing, and overall look/function I think. If you'd like I could toss a concept your way (I'm always in the mood for power armor)
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Gauss, you and pior nailed it.
    At the current stat he whole suit looks like a complete mess of stuff fished together. The only stuff that I really like atm is that thingy at the neck, those shoulder protectors and the legs. (maybe thas why I like 3 and 5 the most atm).

The problem I have ( like pior mentioned) is that I didnt concept the mesh as one piece but small pieces thus resulting in the overly detailed tiny bits.

I like clean surfaces though :(

Also, thanks for the links that stuff looks really functionall :O, will keep that in mind while drawing.

And for the concept I would really appreciate that, it would be a great help.
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like 5 right now, looks a bit more sleek and feminine :), think if there was a segment around the abdominal area then it would fit in with the rest of the design
  • Amarth93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks very much like Crysis-Nanosuits but for females and with some plating
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Well hey man, this is kind of scattershot but check out some ideas here. I pulled some relevant stuff from the archives, too :)

I know these are messy and not very specific beyond general characteristics, but these should be useful for discussion general kinds of directions you might take. #8 is just a catchall for more of a cyborg/skinsuit (a la Kusanagi) type.

chickmech1.jpg
    chickmech2.jpg
    chickmech3.jpg
    chickmech4.jpg
    chickmech5.jpg
    chickmech6.jpg
    chickmech7.jpg
    chickmech8.jpg

Here's a DW character I did for Earthquake. He didn't finish it or even really start it, SURPRISE. So you're welcome to it. Could be a good candidate for the sub-d work with a lot of interesting little detailing and careful edgework but overall fairly broad surfaces.
    eq_mech1.jpg

This is a cut-away of the pilot. She's not an amputee.
    eq_mechpilot.jpg

for shits and giggles, something I found from 5 years ago that I don't think I ever posted:
    armorchick34.jpg

Apologies for so many images in your thread, just say the word and I'll just make them links.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    gauss, that is so awesome, thank you very very much. Great stuff!

(and wtf whats with apologizing for posting those :poly142: I dont see a need for that)

(I like no.6 and no.7 very much)
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Okey here we go. With no.6 as its base; still loads to do

concepts.jpg
  • Amarth93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would say #1 of the helms, the other ones looks big and clumsy
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    hmmm helmet is atm just that bit above the head, stuff behind it is just techy stuff/armor I guess

did some more doodles

concepts2.jpg
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff here, personally im not a fan of the big collar thing but that just me, though i really like your design style, keep going!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love the last one wouldn't change a thing.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks spitfire and woogity^^

yeah tried to streamline the design a bit so the curves "flow", got to work on that issue though.

heres a silhouette of the backside with stuff I liked from drawing 2+3 for the legs and the back upper parts.

concept5.jpg
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Time to go to blockout land

concept6.jpg
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Hey glad to catch up with thread and see where you've gon with it, you've really made it your own. Looking forward to the blockout.
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    so happy that you went with that thumbnail! looks great!
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    So I have been working on this strange spider mecha tank thingy Masamune Shirow concepted for the first ghost in the shell movie and posted some progress pics every now and then in the What are you working on thread.

Since I finished the highpoly I'll post some pics here ;)

Some minor details differ from the movie or just weren't shown in the close ups so I was a bit creative there ;)

Low poly and baking are up next, crits are welcome, hope you like it so far.

Update: Since the screengrabs where quite shitty (thx xoliul) I did a render, will do closeups after I did some changes which the others suggested.

T08A2.jpg

old:

mech8.jpg
    Mech7.jpg
    Mech6.jpg
    mech5.jpg
    mech1.jpg
    mech4.jpg
    mech3.jpg
    mech2.jpg
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    It is a very interesting shape and I like the insectoid shapes mixed with the hard edged mechanical shapes. There is really only one thing that is bothering me, and that is the shape of the toes where the creature makes the point of contact with the ground. I would think that they would be more flat to have more surface area to support the tank.

Here is an example:

Tachikoma.jpg

Just something to think about.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    thx but I just wanted to keep it close to the concept :\

Like I wrote in the first post thats not my concept but its based on masamune shirows ghost in the shell

tankleg.jpg
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Everything looks bloby and not like its put together with metal. The legs, they are one big blobby piece of metal. No wield lines or rivets to indicate that it was put together in some form. The same goes with the other parts of this tank. It looks like you did your block out and jumped into the details without working out the function of how this tank is put together (not to say you need to know it is literaly put together, but thinking along the terms of reality "does this make sence")
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Tanks don't have legs!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Not really digging your material/rendersetup, it hides a lot of the shapes. I'm guessing you might be using a litsphere material? I noticed they really aren't that good gof highpoly, as they don't have shadows. Overal the model looks good but can't really tell much of the details.
    Also they're called Tachikoma's ;)
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    whats_true:
    While I agree with you that if it comes to industrial like shapes one might add weld lines and/or rivets it is also possible to construct shapes and work on the surface so its not visible how it was put together. (powder coating etc)

Xoliul: Hmm atm those are blender viewport grabs with a fresnel/phong material applied and 4 lights, shadows dont really work there

I'll try to render it now
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Whats true: that shouldnt sound lazy or anything. If you think that it's really lacking that 'how has it been constructed' feel I can add weldings/bolts etc to it

Xoliul: thanks for the crits on the rendersetup, I tried some stuff now and it really gained a lot from it. (at least from my view ;) )

T08A2.jpg
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Nice render HAL, what's your set up for that in Blender, and what are you using for mats?

Also, I agree with the construction detail comments, and I'd love to see some more angles.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Dim:

Thanks you, I'm going to add bolts and screws and some edges to imply that the parts have been deep drawn and been bolted together like whats true suggested.
    Will weld the top parts now.

After looking at some of eraserhead's work I really noticed that it was lacking that stuff :poly136:
    should have taken off my rose colored glasses a bit earlier ;)
    (thanks guys btw)

And Xoliul was right, rendering it and the shadows did a lot to it.

Here's my render setup and the material, done in blender 2.54

the camera is the highlightet one, 3 spotlights, the front ones with ray shadows and 6 samples and a bit smoothing.

setup.jpg

also the material:

mat-1.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    You should ad some more detail to the lower legs, they seem a bit bland and overly smooth.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Added weldings, made the upper leg parts less blobby, broke up the lower leg's surface, thinking about adding some guard rails dunno.

mechleg1.jpg
    mechrenderdetail1.jpg
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Just watched that movie for the first time yesterday! Your model looks spot on, great job.
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
    It's coming together nicely :)

I think your overall shape of the legs is correct, but they are missing some of the mech (attachment). The original tank has very shapeless legs... making the edges where the various parts connect hard instead of what you have now could help here.

You've no doubt seen this thread already http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t2214.html but if you haven't that guy has done a pretty good job with the feeling. The legs have hard borders, they look hard while being as shapeless as they are :P
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Hey, thanks :)

SkyWay: Wow, no I havent seen that Oo must have been below my radar or something, thank you :)
    Super awesome inspiration for the lower parts :D
    Also thanks for reminding me of those things on the front legs must have forgotten those totally

There hasnt been alot of progress here since im kinda busy with real life stuff like super busy :(

Dunno if I'll find the time to give this the detail love it needs so there may be an update later

So until you dont find anything thats like super ugly or something Im calling this done until i find the time to add details :(

finishedorsomething.jpg
    mechrender4.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    This is looking cool. Great subject.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just a question, why are the ammo chutes so small and the barrels so big?
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    killingpeople : thx :)

n88tr: uhm you noticed its a chaingun?
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, i would widen the ammo belt a little. Just looks better design wise.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    SO cool..
    makes me wanna watch the movie again..
    maybe i will
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    whats_true, n88tr: now I get what you mean, sure thing will change that (when I can some spare time) thx :)

Jungsik: thx :) maybe this is like deus ex or something
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Arm:

arm.jpg

Boredom:

(concept's by Ignus Dei http://ignusdei.deviantart.com/ )

projection.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    looks great HAL! Keep it up. the spider thing is amazing. how did u make the welded bits?
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Thank you :)

Like this:

weldtut.jpg
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    I hate wasting old meshes.

More to come, changeing some stuff on the backside and adding a head helmet and feet now :)

Full-2.jpg
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Greetings from blockout land

(and changes to the back and a bit finetuing here and there)

back2.jpg
    Front-1.jpg
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Face is a placeholder obviously

front2.jpg
    back2-1.jpg

e:// almost forgot:
    side-1.jpg
  • HAL