Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Light The Fuse - Dan! vs Rdmlegend Mini Challenge

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Gannon interpolator
The Challenge

Create a device that can be used in a combat situation similar to an IED, Grenade or Land Mine.

Rules:

•Mini Challenge will end in one Week. (8/4)

• Device must be placed or volleyed by hand; not used as
ammunition of a larger device. IE: Grenade launcher.

• It may be of past, present, or future design.

•Object must be modeled, textured and viewed in a real time engine

• No set polycount or restricted texture size, just make bad ass art.

Replies

• AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm in! Concept coming soon :E
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really interesting subject matter you chose, good luck guys looking forward to see the ideas you come up with for this.
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Do yall plan on doing other challenges after this one? I'm going to be gone for 2 weeks for a cruise so I will be unable to make something for it and I would like to do future ones.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Hey RdmLegend- thanks for getting it started
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    Hmmmm sounds very interesting, I might actually take part and start brainstorming now. Are there any limits we need to worry about?
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    @AtlusZMH - Was really just supposed to be a friendly comp between my work buddy and I but Feel free to join in.

@MikeYevin - No real limits just like it says, make bad ass art. Keep everything realistic in the sense would be seen from a first person perspective. Don't use an absurd Mari 32k texture :p and make sure every tri is used with reason. =)
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh.. well.. <.< >.> I still have a good idea ;) lol i thought it was just an open little challenge
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so I have one more question before I start haha

You give examples of an IED, grenade, or landmine, so does this mean our "weapon" needs to explode? Or are you just referring to a hand-held device used for destruction? :P
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    @Mike Yevin - Essentially yes, something that functions similar to those. Explode, Implode it's all good.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Threw together some quick shapes to give a rough idea of where I'm headed.

Shapes.jpg
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    The more the merrier!-I wanted to go a different direction than i originally thought- did some sketching and a little zsphere action-
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Just like my concept process... just throwin down shapes.
    Bum.jpg
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Hers my progress from today- going to work on the cannister some tonight-
    StickyBomb.jpg
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome, dan! Such a terrified look
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was able to get some concepting done, and started getting the high poly worked out in Max. Keep in mind this is my first official sub-d model so its taking me a while to get used to supporting my edges lol

futuristicmine.jpg

I definitely feel like it needs a little more detail, but exactly what kind of detail is what I'm not so sure of; I don't wanna make it too busy. Maybe a night to sleep on it will help, any crits are gladly welcome.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Nice start Mike, Can't wait to see more. I'll have some more progression later
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, considering the fact that I know I will have a bunch of hurdles ahead of me regarding baking and whatnot, I'm going to call the high poly done. I may address some small visual issues I see now if I can figure them out in the next hour or so, but I might just try and fix the normal map after its generated. Let me know what you guys think.

futuristicmine2.jpg

Can't wait to see how everyone elses is coming along :) Only three more days left!
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    good going mike- good luck on your normal mapping-
    My lil guy is all UV'd and baked down- here is where im at --possibly be my final presentation for this week- maya hardware-phong- no UDK:/
    PresSDhot.jpg
    Rdmlegend come out and playyaaayyyyy- haha see you tomorrow.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Well I probably put too much on my plate for this one in a weeks time. I went super res w/ all the pieces and I've probably redesigned the top a few times. Eh oh well.

crap.jpg
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! - I love the finished product, very original :) Idk if I'm just crazy but it looks to me like the diffuse is a little over saturated. Overall great work though

rdmlegend - Looks a hell of a lot better than mine :P You better get crackin though, the due date is quickly approaching.

I'm just about finished up with the unwrap on my low poly, so ill be baking within the hour hopefully, wish me luck haha. I figure I should have plenty of time to texture this bad boy and get him into UDK or Marmoset before the due date on Wednesday.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    yeah, I just said screw the high poly because of the deadline and I'm working on the low poly now. almost finished. I'll texture in the rest of the bits that don't move once I get there.
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So after a relatively successful night, I have a bit of progress. Started laying down some base colors to get a feel for where I wanna go with it, but I'm sure they will change down the road. As far as the normal map is concerned, it came out better than I expected :) but I know there are some definite issues; most of which are far more visible thanks to them being not only with the normal but also my AO.

After a few fixes and a proper diffuse, I think this may be worthy of a portfolio piece :D

futuristicmine3.jpg

Let me know what you guys think
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, only because I feel like I need to start working on something else for my portfolio, I have my final shot lol. The diffuse isn't anything to marvel at but my computer was really trying not to work today, so I'm happy I got what I did. First time using Marmoset :)

finalflandmine.jpg

Hopefully we'll see what you can come up with tomorrow rdmlegend.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Good finish mike- yeah these are supposed to be quick so whatever you can do - no stress- If i was to critique I'd say a bit more love on the diffuse would have been nice.

Rdmlegend cried so hard he fried his keyboard and therefor couldnt finish.:poly124:hehe see you on the next one
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, my creative juices kept flowing so well that I had to jump on the opportunity and start an environment piece for my portfolio :P I'm thinking of this as a test to get an idea of the workflow from high poly to game engine, and I'd say it was a success :) It's too bad rdmlegend hasn't posted more, I liked where his model was going. Maybe something will pop up tomorrow.

As for my future stuff, you should see a thread pop up here in a day or two as soon as I get some stuff modeled out :D