Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vote on my app icon

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
Hi.

I'm thinking about changing the main icon that I use for Facemakr & FacemakrHD - to give people a clearer idea of what the app does upfront.

I have created a chart here, please vote on your favourite, impulse voting is appreciated.

1. these are the existing icons
2. faces
3. faces with logo

29espxf.jpg

and how they might look on the iPad, iPhone and listings on iTunes:

21o4iz9.jpg

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I like the existing, but adding a mouth might help. Add two half mouths?
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the existing, but adding a mouth might help. Add two half mouths?

Not really up for changing the logo however! It's used in a lot of places Rick. Trademarked.
  • tanka
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    I prefer the existing.. it's simple and elegant. I'm not a fan of busy icons.
  • jakelear
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    Yea, I prefer the existing as well.
    The face icons are great, but I think the generic, user-neutral existing ones are more appropriate.
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Aesthetically i prefer the original icon you made, but from a store standpoint i probably wouldn't check it out as it's too nondescript. I think the actual face with the logo is better for this purpose. It may be slightly busy but i think it'll perhaps give people a better idea of what your app does and people may be more inclined to look at it, like you mentioned in your post.

Don't take my advice too seriously though, i haven't got a clue about marketing or what sells well :p
  • bounchfx
    yeah, I almost feel like the actual faces will get more attention on the app store than your 'icon's, however cool they are.
  • JohnnySix
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    I voted the solid blue background on instinct, I dunno, once an established brand, it'll be easy to pick out, however the bunnygirl would probably get my attention first, if I didn't know what it was.

Depends where most of the custom comes, whether word of mouth, or from people trawling the app-store.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say that the majority of custom comes from app store users who see the app. Facemakr was featured a few times and this certainly worked, but I've come to the conclusion that the icon may well be too abstract.
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    take the girl and a nicer male
    sex sells
  • Illusions
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say use the more realistic faces, and put the logo inside the speech bubble instead of the heart or musical note. The icon would help to show that this app is Facemakr, while the faces help to, at a glance, explain what Facemakr does. Just going by the logo itself, I wouldn't immediately know whether or not I should be interested in this app, and thus check it out further. In addition this means that later on when a new iProduct comes out, or Facemakr expands beyond the Apple marketplace, you could go with a new face, and slap the icon in somewhere and people who had used your previous apps would know that a new Facemakr was out.