Home General Discussion

Photoshop Texture Projection? What the, I don't even

http://vimeo.com/5821890

So as seen in this video, how the hell do I do that? What program do I need to do this? This seems awesome and so much better than texturing on 2D flats and having to save and reload the texture every time i want to see how it's coming

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    the latest version of photoshop has this function:

http://www.photoshopcafe.com/cs4/3D.htm
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    He's using Deep Paint and conjunction with Photoshop in that video to create projections. Deep Paint is discontinued software but still used and liked by many. Photoshop cs4 extended and newer have 3d projection painting built in but alot of people have had problems with it (at least in cs4, havn't heard if its improved in cs5).
  • Snowman
    wow amazing stuff love the art style.I wouldn't mind trying this out some time
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I dont know if Enzo is still going but it allowed you to do this inside photoshop for the last 4 or 5 years. It could open OBJ files and let you paint and project onto them (no live, you dropped to canvas and then projected it)

Mudbox also supports this workflow as does blender, and i think texTools allows you to do it in max.

lots of options :)
  • spitty
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    also zbrush can do this using zapplink, its always a little buggy for me though. 3d coat lets you paint directly on the model, or do projection painting in photoshop like the video.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    3DCoat had alot of problems with artifacts when projection painting last I tried it. Z-App link is ok, but has problems if you have overlapping UV shells, something that you can work around but should take into account beforehand. Blenders paint I still find disappointing after all this time, hopefully it'll be improved upon quite a bit before 2.6 is released. Modos paint was actually my favorite back when I used that a few years ago, but no psd layer support :-/ . Mudbox seems very competent as of 2011, but that's using it on a high poly model, not sure how well it fares on lowpoly with UV optimizations, and you still cant paint on directly on the UVs as far as I could tell. BodyPaint is good but a bit spendy and its navigation isn't the most friendly.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    With Mudbox 2011 you can flatten your model to UV's. So you CAN in-fact paint on the uvs now as well.

Peronally, I use Mudbox for projection, occationally bodypaint if I just want to paint over seams (I'm a little more comfotable with bodypaint painting then mudbox). And of course Photoshop for the bulk of the texturing.

One of the best things about Mudbox projecting then using photoshop is having the patch tool handy (in photoshop that is). The patch tool is just soo good for stiching photos together.

Haven't tried importing a model and painting real-time with photoshopCS5 yet. Gotta try that out still.
  • [SF]Three9
    wow thanks for all the info guys, i feel like a caveman :(
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    One of the best things about Mudbox projecting then using photoshop is having the patch tool handy (in photoshop that is). The patch tool is just soo good for stiching photos together.

Hell yeah! and the way it preserves your camera angle in the PSD so it doesnt matter if the camera is moved.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Blender can do it too, for free.

...what?
  • Disco Stu
    Or bodypaint, not free but really good.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    beware: CS4 & 5 crash all the time when using Deep Paint. Right Hemisphere are absolutely horrible at supporting Deep Paint, and most likely will never release compatible plugins to work with newer versions of Photoshop. So if you have CS3, you're in luck!

If im wrong, sorry - but Right Hemisphere have been nothing but terrible with me, even as a paying customer, in supporting their product for present-day uses.