Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - nrek

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
nrek polycounter lvl 14

Replies

• Simski
    I lol'd.
    Keep it up, I want to see what you'll do next.

Is the crocodile a secondary razorback type weapon?
  • willy-wilson
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    that is so awesome, i always wanted to make a buffalo hat because of the lone he says but this is much better
  • cookiecrisps
    LOL THAT IS SO RAD. It should be like the razorback but instead of going away on a backstab it should stay there but reduce backstab damage by 50% So you have a chance to run away/ Kill the spy. Just an idea
  • nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Haha thanks guys, glad you like the idea. Yes, the croc skin will be a razorback replacement and the croc head is of course just a hat. I plan to use the thick belt that holds the skin in place as a multi knife/ammo belt as well, perhaps providing additional ammo could be part of its gameplay mechanic or something.

Anyway, here is my progress on the crocs head. For now I am going to move onto the skin and then maybe come back and tweak this a bit later, so if you have any suggestions please let me know. I also have a little concept of a weapon idea that I have been tossing around. This would be something to replace the jarate bottle. I am still kinda "meh" about this one though.

crocsniper2.jpg

crochat.jpg

shellshocker.jpg
  • Psyke
    shell shocker is replacement for jarate? with a small explosion in place of urine i'm geussing?
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Yes. YES.

Pleeeease tell me you're going to make the name of the crocodile hat some sort of sly reference to Metal Gear Solid.
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Heh, the hat is great, nice one, you definitely need a witty name for it.
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Imho the croc would sit further back on his head so that it was at a steeper angle, to disguise himself as a croc he'd need to be lying down so his head would be tilted towards the ground and with it in it's current position he'd be bashing the croc's snout on the ground/his rifle/his lunch/etc.

Love it!
  • Karkasmolenklok
    In all honesty, despite being visually one of the better drawn and more hilarious things, the crocodile costume definitely falls into the "no clown suit for the heavy" category.

The shell shocker...has potential. I'm interested to see how you'd do that and not have the problems that they got rid of grenades over.
  • nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Lol. Hmmm I was originally thinking Crocodile Dundee reference but it seems like more people are picking up on the metal gear ref. So perhaps I will give that a shot.

And yea as far as a replacement for the jarate, I just meant that it could replace the jarate model and still work with the same animations and everything. I would still expect it to function as a different type of weapon though.
    In all honesty, despite being visually one of the better drawn and more hilarious things, the crocodile costume definitely falls into the "no clown suit for the heavy" category.

If it does fall under that category then its no biggie I guess, its all for fun in the end. I was thinking along the lines that since his back story describes him as a tracker of dangerous game in the Australian outback, seeing him wearing a crocodile as a form of camouflage and carrying improvised weapons fashioned from previous kills wouldn't be much of a stretch.
  • REKLAS
    maybe just the skull of a croc instead? it does seem a bit "clown-suit-ish".
  • Buck
    Really nice looking so far :)
  • Simski
    Loving the croc model :poly124:

I'm not so sure about the turtle though, Valve is very against the idea of grenades.
    Jarate doesn't function as a grenade as it doesn't cause any damage itself and the long reload time makes it less spammable.
    However the turtle seems to imply it will work similar to a frag grenade, Valve would not like this.
    Y_M wrote: »
    Imho the croc would sit further back on his head so that it was at a steeper angle, to disguise himself as a croc he'd need to be lying down so his head would be tilted towards the ground and with it in it's current position he'd be bashing the croc's snout on the ground/his rifle/his lunch/etc.

Love it!
    Nah, it's similar to the duck hat hunters sometimes wears in cartoons and stuff.
    http://img.alibaba.com/photo/268526597/Duck_hat.jpg
    They duck under the water so only the duck part (not a pun, lol) is visible, I assume Sniper would do the same with his crocodile hat :O
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i like the croc hat, i dont play metal gear so i didnt think of that ref, just seems like an aussie disguise, tho i think the gattor back could look more like a crocodile skin and less like a croc costume from a party store,

croc_skins.jpg

and you are correct sim,, that is not a pun
  • dickless
    Y_M wrote: »

Love it!

But if he was lying down he would still want to look forwards, and therefore tilt his head back, bringing the croc head parallel with the body.

Plus the whole idea is clearly concentrating on fun rather than function and I think that comedically it looks best as it is.
  • nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for all the input guys, it has been really helpful. I will continue thinking of other items to replace the Shell Shocker if grenades are really that frowned upon. In the meantime here is a slightly updated croc skin model. I tried to take your advice Rhinokey and I think having the skin nailed to a new version of the razorback should help make it seem less like a costume.

crocsniper3.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Lookin' good! I'd suggest giving it a simple normal map with slightly raised scales once you're done modeling it.
  • Twigbag
    So awesome! Best theme so far!
  • Graff Pirate
    and here is your winner!!!
    Brilliant!
  • re.wind
    lmfao! This is so bloody awesome :D
  • spetch
    Offline / Send Message
    spetch polycounter lvl 11
    wow, this is great
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    win. very cool
  • Fragus
  • nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for the comments everyone :). I could really use some opinions on the legs for the croc shield. I think they add a little more humor and style to the shield, but at the same time idk if they are too much. So yea, let me know what you think.

crocshield.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looking great! One of the best themes I've seen so far.

A few tips on the current WIP models. The crock skin shouldn't hang so low. You could really get away with just having the tail and legs cut off and use the texturing to make it obvious that it's a croc skin stretched across the back. The long tail will interfere would clip into the ground when crouching and the legs just look kind of awkward. Also the strap on the helmet isn't good. It'll interfere with facial animations.

Great thread! Looking forward to seeing your progress!
  • Svdl
    This is both amazing and hilarious, excellent work!
    I'd definitely keep the legs and the tail in, though the tail could be a bit shorter to avoid the aforementioned clipping issues. Without them (or at least without the tail) it would lose huge amounts of character.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Looking great! One of the best themes I've seen so far.

A few tips on the current WIP models. The crock skin shouldn't hang so low. You could really get away with just having the tail and legs cut off and use the texturing to make it obvious that it's a croc skin stretched across the back. The long tail will interfere would clip into the ground when crouching and the legs just look kind of awkward. Also the strap on the helmet isn't good. It'll interfere with facial animations.

Great thread! Looking forward to seeing your progress!
    Agreement with everything said here.

As for the strap, a couple solutions I can think of would be to essentially make the strap 2-dimensional texture on his face (like a skin) or to have it hang down, not all the way tight under the chin.

As for details that would make it look cool but not hang as low as the tail and legs, you could have dangling bones, claws, feathers, etc. that could hang just below his butt but not low enough to clip with the ground. That's all I've got but I'm sure there are other things.
  • Ikimono
    Like the no legs version better.

And if the "Shell Shocker" was just a replacement for Jarate then you don't need to worry about it. I heartily laughed at the "A"+"B"="C!" way of going about it.
  • Danglebob
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    i like the legs hanging down. though they are longer than you concepted. maybe shorten them up? (change it back to how it is now if you dont like)

the croc tooth on the belt is ace.
  • nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for the awesome feedback guys. The string clipping through his jaw never even occurred to me till you brought it up. I ended up lengthening it and adding a little bead as a stopper. I also shortened the tail so it only reaches to about the top of his knee. Legs have been axed.

Now, I also spent the night working on a tranquilizer gun to replace the smg. I have other weapon ideas but they all require extra animations and stuff. So I figured I would be safe and do one weapon that is more of a swap out first, and then do another more custom weapon if I have time. If I do get the time for it I might attempt a net gun for another secondary weapon. But anyway, here is what I have so far.

gunwip.jpg

headrs.jpg
  • Hellmouth
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellmouth polycounter lvl 11
    Couldn't you get away with the tail by giving it jigglebones? Or am I failing here and those don't avoid other objects, just give motion?
  • Karkasmolenklok
    The dart gun looks like it would be more appropriate replacing the sniper rifle actually.

That said, it looks fantastic. The diamond is a nice touch.
  • BrainZ
    I'd prefer it without the legs. They feel a tad excessive to me.
  • Djokson
    The tranq looks awesome! My only gripe with it is that the scope and stock look kinda too modern. And the crocodile skin shield is a very unique idea, I wonder how would it look with the Trophy Belt hat. Keep up the awesome work!
  • Ikimono
    Omgomgomgomgomg!

Stingray tail as a melee weapon! Either For spy or sniper!

I have faith you can make this happen.
  • ChromeE
    the tranq looks too much like a sniper rifle, i suggest shortening the barrel and removing the scope. other than that its fine, an amazing gun!
  • re.wind
    Loving the whole style you've got going :D

Although, the barrel is a bit long, and the scope give the impression that it is a sniper replacement instead of a smg replacement, though. otherwise, fits the sniper perfectly.
  • dickless
    I think the croc skin has more character with the tail and legs, perhaps you could have the tail curling to one side somehow rather than just hanging down?

The SMG/tranq gun looks really nice but I agree that it is quite modern looking, I think this is mostly the scope, but perhaps the clip and stock as well? I think with a few small adjustments that could quickly be solved though, for example a drum clip might work?
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Considering the era, probably something more of an exaggerated version of this scope would be appropriate:

DSC_3832.jpg
  • CJE
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Love the concepts nrek, feels perfectly fit for TF2, can't wait to see the final product.
  • GG_Underscore
    awesome idea. i like the no legs idea better.
  • BeRz
    Tranquilizer gun:

if slow reload/low clip:
    - When hit, slow target 3 second XX%/// or maybe can full stunt X second (2 second maybe).
    if fast reload/high clip:
    - like natasha but 1 second.
  • EvilShadow777
    Oh my, I'd normally be very happy with where this is going, but you aren't allowed to have more than 1 item of a slot, even if it's for a class with multiple weapons in the same slot. So that would mean you'd have to pick either your Tranq Gun or your Shell Shocker idea. This is a great pack, but the rules are very neck-bitingly strict.
  • Zai
    Oh my, I'd normally be very happy with where this is going, but you aren't allowed to have more than 1 item of a slot, even if it's for a class with multiple weapons in the same slot. So that would mean you'd have to pick either your Tranq Gun or your Shell Shocker idea. This is a great pack, but the rules are very neck-bitingly strict.
    Actually, since the Razorback and SMG are part of the same slot, the Tranquilizer Gun needs to replace the Sniper Rifle if he doesn't want to start over with another weapon. Which is what I thought it was meant to replace when I first saw the image anyway.
  • nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Great comments everyone, I will try and address everything when I get back to modeling. I plan to mess with altering the scope to make it feel older and more low-tech, rework the back half to make it fit better as a sniper replacement, and probably just redesign a hefty chunk of it :poly124:. But before I get to that I could realllllly use some help with getting things working in game. I am about to lose my mind.

So far I have been using these 2 videos to learn how to get both a view model and a world model ingame:
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/8747
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/8746

I have managed to get more or less the same results that the instructor got. But when I attempt to us these same steps for something other than the wrench I start to run into a ton of problems. Primarily with the sniper and smg view models.

Problem1:
    In my attempt at getting my gun to replace the smg I got it in and working but ingame the animations seems way off, like I see the barrel appear right in front of my face (pointing up) as the draw animation plays, then it shifts to the side and goes off screen when the idle plays. I had to modify the model rotation in my .qc file just to get anything to appear at all actually. The same problem occurs when I try to use my model in place of the sniper, only there I cant get anything to appear. Both are working in the model viewer. So if anyone has had any luck moding these 2 weapons I would really appreciate some help.

Problem2:
    Anything that I export out of max as an .smd loses its smoothing groups. I am using this smd export plugin for max 2010x64. I didn't notice any settings for smoothing groups but maybe I missed something. If anyone knows of a way around this please let me know.
    http://www.wunderboy.org/3dapps.php#max_smd

So far after like 2 days of messing with this stuff the only thing I have accomplished is getting a nasty unsmoothed version of my gun to replace the world model of the smg :poly141:.

Thanks again for taking time to comments guys, everything have been very helpful so far.
  • DDSN
    I'm really liking this theme. Id like to post some stats for the tranquilizer gun:

+Blurs vision/slows target down when shot, lasts for 3-5 seconds.
    +When shot enough times, you get stunned for 10-ish seconds.
    -Slow reload, 5 shots in a clip.
    -Very low damage/none at all.
  • nrek
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for the Tranq gun ideas DDSN, sounds like something along those lines would be pretty cool.

Well I gave up on the weapons for awhile and worked on my hat. I got the uvs done and slapped on a simple texture, I also managed to get it working ingame. Check it out.

It did bring me to realize something though, how should I go about testing my croc shield/ razorback replacement if I don't in fact have the razorback unlocked yet o.O

crochead.jpg
  • Karkasmolenklok
    nrek wrote: »
    It did bring me to realize something though, how should I go about testing my croc shield/ razorback replacement if I don't in fact have the razorback unlocked yet o.O
    Well you could always craft it, you just need a slot token, a class token, 1 scrap metal, and some luck.
  • Khthon
    So, are you going to stick with a scope on the secondary? What with not being able to use it/it makes the gun seem like a Sniper rifle rather than a secondary.
  • Naso
    That he said, also, maybe you could make like a little mini feed of darts into the gun?