Home Technical Talk

Mudbox Texture Painting Problem

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
PogoP polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys, been trying to get my head round this for the past few hours and can't seem to get anywhere.

I'm using Mudbox to sculpt and paint a stone column, but I've got a problem when it comes to texture painting. Whenever I try to paint in Mudbox, I get this strange 'grid' effect that I can't seem to eliminate. The thing is, the problem with the texture occurs along the topology of the base mesh; it's almost as if Mudbox thinks each edge is a seam, when it definitely isn't (I've tried welding in Max, to no avail).

Might help if I told how the model was built. I made a base mesh in Max, imported this into Mudbox and sculpted it. Then I imported the lowest subd of the mesh back into max and unwrapped it (I know it's a terrible workflow!), and then re-imported the new uvs into mudbox again.

error.jpg

Another problem, possibly related, is that whenever I apply a new paint layer to my model, at level 0, parts of the mesh seem to disappear. This can be seen in the following shot:

error2.jpg

Any idea what's going on? It has me stumped!

Replies

• SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    The second problem could be related to flipped uv´s.
    It would be nice if you could post the uv´s shown in mudbox.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Looks like the UVs have been rotated for each polygon, most likely an export/import problem.
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Ah, I fixed it!

It was a problem with the Mudbox settings when importing the new UVs. You can choose to assign it to the nearest vertex, or by vertex ID. When I was using vertex ID, it was for some reason deleting vertices, or not importing them properly. When using nearest vertex, it matched them exactly.
  • Asimov
    Offline / Send Message
    Asimov polycounter lvl 3
    Hi PogoP,

Thanks for tihs. I spent 3 days trying to work out this problem and your solution worked.

I can't understand why VertexID doesn't work.

I mean I exported an obj from level 0 in mudbox. Created my uvs in max. Imported uvs to level 0 using vertex ID and my painting kept messing up, until I found this forum.

Thanks a lot.

I am wondering if this is a bug in mudbox 2013

Asimov