Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scene Work In Progress

Well i started my first scene.The story behind it is it is an old barn that was used by a German tank crew in World War II to repair their Panther tank. The scene takes place about 40 years later after World War II as an abandoned barn found with WWII relics inside of the Germans. I have worked on this for a few hours and this is how far i got.

By the way, i am removing the hanging flag since it was a complete disaster....

Suggestions? recomendations? or major things that are wrong or look bad?

Thank you

-Matt

wip3v.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

wip5.jpg

wip4w.th.jpg

80802828.jpg

89264677.jpg

64131233.jpg

76306390.jpg

Replies

• RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good, but what are your intentions regarding 3D modeling? Do you want to make environments for games? If so, then this is way too high poly...

You're a lot better at modeling that you portrayed yourself in your last thread. Keep it up, and just start utilizing any tutorials you can find.
  • MattStone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RexM wrote: »
    Looks good, but what are your intentions regarding 3D modeling? Do you want to make environments for games? If so, then this is way too high poly...

You're a lot better at modeling that you portrayed yourself in your last thread. Keep it up, and just start utilizing any tutorials you can find.

Thanks, No it isnt for a game. it is just for fun and for practice so i can make more realistic models and scenes. I hope i can aimprove alot. I know its like mega poly but since it's just for fun, i dont plan on removing all the unnesary polys.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    well i think it looks great so far if your texturing is as good as your modeling it should end up as a nice scene,

my only concern is the polygon usage,
    the polygon count is far too low for a cinematic scene, and a bit too high for game use. its actualy much closer to game detail level than a scene for prerendering or a cinematic.

the majority of the scen is lowis poly with certain things the tank wheels and barrel and building roof being a bit higher than needed.

but thats the kind of stuff you will figure out in time. in general its looking nice
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The building really needs a lot more attention, its a boring box with windows, try to find some photo references.
  • MattStone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    well i think it looks great so far if your texturing is as good as your modeling it should end up as a nice scene,

my only concern is the polygon usage,
    the polygon count is far too low for a cinematic scene, and a bit too high for game use. its actualy much closer to game detail level than a scene for prerendering or a cinematic.

the majority of the scen is lowis poly with certain things the tank wheels and barrel and building roof being a bit higher than needed.

but thats the kind of stuff you will figure out in time. in general its looking nice

yeah, I have to fix that stuff still. i have only worked on it for a few hours. That will be the final stuff to do, right now im just getting the layout set up.

Thank you for the advice
  • MattStone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    The building really needs a lot more attention, its a boring box with windows, try to find some photo references.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I plan on making it a wood barn with boards and stuff. Like i said in the reply in another message regarding the same thing, i will fix that. Im only about 20% if that done.

thank you
  • NoChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The shingles need to be staggered, you have them all going in a straight line but every other row should be offset by half a shingle. Although to be honest you could just make a texture on a flat plane with a normal or displacement map and get the same result with a lot less headache. UV'ing and texturing those in a natural manner is going to be a pain.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    on a building like this a tin roof may look good also

AbandonedBarnWithTinRoof1.jpg
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    hard to imagine someone actually drove the tank there
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    True! That driver has some mad parallel parking skills!
    Looking good so far. Work on making the building more convincing though.
  • cadyw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's my comment too! it's dumb, but the shed isn't big enough, haha
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a tank can turn 360 without moving so you could drive straight in and then just pivot in place, sure the shed may even be a bit small for even that, but i dont find it all that unbelievable
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    You seem to be a decent modeler, so get into unwrapping and texturing some of that, that way you'll probably grow faster as an artist.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    A Nice idea for a scene you have there. But there are some things that don't seem to fit in my opinion:

The tools: I don't think this are the tools you use to fix the tracks of a tank.

PanzerV_Ausf.G_1_sk.jpg

In this picture you can see that there are various tools fitted to the tank which are mainly for fixing broken tracks. Those tools are quite big because you sure need a lot of force to fix a track. With this in mind your small tools could be used for fixing the hut but not for fixing the tracks.

The wheels:

You have the wheels leaned against the hut and the barrel. In opinion this looks strange. First it looks too presented, like "Look here are some nice wheels, I placed them there such that everyone can see them."
    Second: Such tank-wheels are heavy as hell. I can't think of tank-crew that would care to move those wheel arround. At least I wouldn't roll those things arround like it was a car-wheel.
    Third: Even if you lean the wheels against the hut and the barrel. To me it seems that an (empty?) Barrel couldn't support the weight of a tank-wheel leaning against it.
  • wasabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A Tank in that small barn?
    I would get a better reference for the tank cargo.
    Hey..but nice start..
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    You could rotate the tank 45 degrees, make the plan you have hanging bigger and draped over the tank-when you texture it, make it camouflage netting. It would solve the issue of how you got it in there.
  • MattStone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero wrote: »
    A Nice idea for a scene you have there. But there are some things that don't seem to fit in my opinion:

The tools: I don't think this are the tools you use to fix the tracks of a tank.

PanzerV_Ausf.G_1_sk.jpg

In this picture you can see that there are various tools fitted to the tank which are mainly for fixing broken tracks. Those tools are quite big because you sure need a lot of force to fix a track. With this in mind your small tools could be used for fixing the hut but not for fixing the tracks.

The wheels:

You have the wheels leaned against the hut and the barrel. In opinion this looks strange. First it looks too presented, like "Look here are some nice wheels, I placed them there such that everyone can see them."
    Second: Such tank-wheels are heavy as hell. I can't think of tank-crew that would care to move those wheel arround. At least I wouldn't roll those things arround like it was a car-wheel.
    Third: Even if you lean the wheels against the hut and the barrel. To me it seems that an (empty?) Barrel couldn't support the weight of a tank-wheel leaning against it.

there not tools for fixing the tank! Its a civilian barn used by the Germans for their tank. Its not done anyways..:) And the panther i modeled is not that varient so therefore does not have the same types of accesories.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    yes, that's a nice parking job, if he lost a track then I'd think it'd be in a different angle then the 90 degree park job you currently have it.
  • Divine Rage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To all making comments regarding the driver's parking skills; do remember that tracked vehicles can turn on the spot. It would certainly be possible if not, dare I say, quite easy to pull that off. Sure, I'm no tank driver or anything, but from a purely mechanical standpoint it's definately doable.

Moaning aside, it's not a real logical position. Turn it, say, 20 degrees, and I'd wager it'd look a lot more natural.