Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] COLONY 28

Replies

• moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    this looks like it's going to be sweet. If you can split the mesh into separate materials, the metal parts of that mesh could use a more intense shader to get the high gloss gold intense spec look.
    The edging could use some seems too (like the very last bottom bevel, a pronounced lip would help catch the edging, like you get here]
  • Paulewog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulewog polycounter lvl 8
    1.jpg

hmm. ok getting closer. materials still need some work
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome, very good lookin'. Although I must ask, is the geometry on those art nouveau details really necessary? I mean, I know you probably wouldn't get away with a normal map, I doubt it would look as sharp as this, but maybe it's a bit excessive? I think you could spare a few loops and use them to round out the cylinder, at least on the loops at the very base.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    As a first person game asset, making those designs with geometry could be justifiable. But I agree with felipefrango that you need more (probably double) the quads/tris along the outermost thin edges.

Texture-wise, I would say the grime isn't coming across quite right on the metal parts. It seems too evenly distributed, like someone took the lamp and dipped it in a vat of grime. I would put some rubbed-in highlights on exposed edges and gather the grime more toward areas that would be difficult to reach when cleaning it by hand.

edit: Another thing I've found works well for gold/bronze type metals -- make the diffuse a darkish reddish color, and the specular more of a yellowish color. Also consider using a blurry cubemap reflection to enhance the metallic reflective look.
  • 16bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    16bit polycounter lvl 13
    Definitely increase the amount of sides of the cylinder, most FPS "weapons" are around 8,000 now. That doesn't mean you have to use 8k, but you do have a lot of freedom polygon count wise to make it more round.
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulewog wrote: »
    1.jpg

hmm. ok getting closer. materials still need some work

Hey Paul... You see on the top shell of the lamp how you have that green circle in the middle? I was going to say to try and find a way to repeat that design on the bottom base.

Take care :P Get on msn! D:
  • Paulewog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulewog polycounter lvl 8
    Thread Revival!

I have some new materials to show. I have been hard at work on Malcolms house since my last post. The following pictures are of the base mesh stage. from these modelles I will derive my high poly and low poly models.

I have some questions or everyone as well. I am wondering how would be best to split these buildings into separate assets in UDK. I am not sure whether to build it all as one piece, or do chunks. Also, for the brick portions should I make that a tile-able texture or unwrap with the rest the home

door.jpg

house1.jpg

malcholmshouseSCALE.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good! Interesting questions, gotta say I'm interested in the answers myself.