Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Environment Assets

Hey guys and gals, looking to receive some crits on my assets. I usually only do organic so this is different for me. This asset currently sits at 690 Tris, and I'm using a Diffuse,Spec,and Normal Map.

Sci-Fi.jpg

Sci-Fitext.jpg

Replies

• kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can you post some wireframes?

And what was your intent with this guy? what type of environment is it in? how old is it? What is it? Also, what does your spec map look like?

Off the top, I think your UV layout could use some work. You could get a lot more texel density if you stiched some of that stuff together, and rearranged it...
  • NoltaN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoltaN polycounter lvl 15
    Aaron,

The major issue here is that you are wasting a hefty amount of UV space here. Think about overlapping a lot of the smaller pieces which have very similar textures. kdm3d mentioned this as well but I figured I'd say it again as its very important for game textures.

2ndly, Have you baked an ambient occlusion pass on this? It doesn't appear that you have.

Also, do you have a specular map on this currently? Maybe consider a different lighting solution if you do have a specular map already applied.
  • AaronF3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This model is a Sci-Fi door based on this concept.

hallwaysconcept.jpg

Someone else on this board was modeling some assets based on this concept as well. I cant remember who.

The Model was done to practice Some Hard-Edge modeling as well as baking objects in 3ds Max. Yep looking at my UV now i definitely could have fit and stitched things better.

Here are some more images.

Sci-Fi_Wire.jpg

Sci-Fi_text2.jpg
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, a few things here.

Noltan was right, an AO map would definately go a long ways here, as would a cavity map on top of that. It would make those creases really pop.

On your spec map, it is usually good to use a range from 0 to 1. Meaning your darkest pixel should be black, and your brightest should be white. Then control the amount of spec in your shader. You have a few whites int here, but if its scratched metal, it will be reall hot compared to dirty painted metal.

I'm a little confused about how you allocated your sapce on your uv's. seems like the smallest, least detailed part got the most uv space. This kind of piece, the way you modeled it, could be ALMOST textured just by a planer map applied to the front of it. (I said almost)

When you make your AO map, bake that into the spec as well. A few adjustments there really add to the fidelity of a spec response.

A little more localized grunge in your texture would do well as well... not everywhere... but where dirt and grime would normally collect.

Other than that the modeling looks ok. maybe a little flat, especially based on your concept... but nothing glaring I can see wrong with the geometry.

Hope that helps! Good luck!
  • Asteric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most of that whole door could have been fit onto one planar map. Would save a lot of UV space.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Are you going to do the entire scene, it looks like it could be a good portfolio piece.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    the door is the most boring part of this concept. why not model one of the wall pieces instead?
  • AaronF3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was trying to get my feet wet, because i've only done organic things to this point. I will modeling the rest of the scene, just as long as you great guys and gals help me along.