Home Technical Talk

Select only facing component-MAYA?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
Is there a way to select parts of the geometry in Maya without selecting the components on the backside, besides single click-selecting each part? Once in a while when modeling, Ill select some part on the backside without knowing it and later find parts moved and messed up.:poly127:

Replies

• yiannisk
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    Of course you can.

display > polygon custom display, turn on “backface culling”
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Nice! I was turning backface culling on, thinking that it would work, just not in the polygon display properties but in the panel menu. It works perfect, thks:)
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I always set "create meshes single sided" in the Preferences -> Modeling section. This means you'll never have to change settings in future.
    In general (in my experience anyway) you're far more likely to want single-sided meshes than double-sided, so you can just explicitly set that per mesh when you want double-sided polys.
  • ralusek
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    MoP wrote: »
    I always set "create meshes single sided" in the Preferences -> Modeling section. This means you'll never have to change settings in future.
    In general (in my experience anyway) you're far more likely to want single-sided meshes than double-sided, so you can just explicitly set that per mesh when you want double-sided polys.

yup, never understood why this was the default, it's so uncomfortable
  • PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Actually I prefer the opposite, nothing more frustrating than drag selecting an entire section of faces, and having all the backfaces not be selected, and you have to rotate the view around and make sure everything is selected. I prefer the default of knowing everything will be selected and deselecting the parts I don't want. Personal preference due to my workflow though, I'm sure its different for everyone.
  • Eric Chadwick
    You can also toggle "Camera based selection" in the Attribute Editor.