Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fuse box

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
linkov polycounter lvl 10
Been doing this prop for a while. Its around 1.5k tris, original texture is 2048*2048. And I would really love to hear some comments and crits. Thanks :poly125:

fb_closed.jpg

fb_side.jpg

fb_opened.jpg

fb_textures.jpg

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Definately looks like a fuse box.

The scratches are uniformly placed around the surfaces. They would be unique if brushed against or hit from various angles.

Oddly enough, the UVs are all unique. Share UV space with repeating details to give more pixels to your important details.
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wires
    fb_wire.jpg
    cholden wrote: »
    Definately looks like a fuse box.

Thats actually a relief :) Considering the fact that these boxes are generally total mess and I wasn't able to find good reference.
    cholden wrote: »
    The scratches are uniformly placed around the surfaces. They would be unique if brushed against or hit from various angles.

Oddly enough, the UVs are all unique. Share UV space with repeating details to give more pixels to your important details.

Scratches came with the metal texture I used, so I figured it would look natural. Probably I was wrong :)

As for UVs.. The box itself is made from galvanized metal, I wanted it from the beginning, and that type of material have really obvious pattern which would result in seams if I try to mirror some parts. Although there is some trickery to avoid this, I felt like its not worth it.

As for details inside the box, I was afraid that if I make them share UV space, they would look same. I mean there is only six of them and they're pretty large. It would be really obvious that they use same texture.

Another thing I was worried about is AO. Now when I'm done, I must say it was wrong. But hey, I'm kinda new to all this stuff =)

Anyway, thanks you for the comment, at least I won't be lazy with my UVs next time, couple other things learned too.
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reworked UVs and rebaked everything again =) Its now 1024 with approximately same level of details, even tho I'm planning to scale it down to 512. Tricount is also lower, only 970 tris this time.

Normals + AO
    fb2_nAO.jpg

new UV layout
    fb2_textemp.jpg

now I need to redo the diffuse, hopefully I'll manage to salvage thing or two from the old one.
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fb2_final1024.jpg

calling this done. 970 tris, 1024 texture, diffuse, spec, normal.
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the inside of that box needs something in it...

http://www.vanzoso.com/images/20090829210402_fuse_box.jpg

Like that.

Also, I think your texturing is way too complicated. It kind of looks like granite at the moment. Just go with a flat paint color with scratches and some plastic scratches (maybe chalk marks telling what unit it is). Also some scratches around the inside of the fuse box around the latch as suggested from the picture.
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Titus S thanks, actually some nice tips, but I'm tired of doing this thing really. Spent too much time already, need to do something else for a change. I'm still learning things, so probably I'll redo everything once again in the future, just not now.
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov wrote: »
    Titus S thanks, actually some nice tips, but I'm tired of doing this thing really. Spent too much time already, need to do something else for a change. I'm still learning things, so probably I'll redo everything once again in the future, just not now.

I wouldn't re do it either, just keep in mind what you learned so when you do something like it next time you can blow the previous out of the water.

However, I've learned the best way to learn is by making something perfect even if it's a drawing of a paper clip. Spending the time and focusing on details making sure it's all perfect conditions you to do it instinctual later.

Take care