Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: Sumo Wrestler Character (Zbrush Noob!)

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
PogoP polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys! My first post here, I've been told to join many a time, but I'm only just getting round to it!

I'm currently at University studying Computer Games Design, and one of our modules is Body Modelling, with the aim to create an anatomically correct model of a character of our choosing. Thus, I chose to break the mould a little (everyone else is doing athletic/skinny characters) and model an overweight, Sumo Wrestler!

I finished the base mesh about a week ago after spending ages deliberating on the best topology, then just decided to take what I had into Zbrush to see the effects of any bad topology. After all, you learn from your mistakes.

Ignore the bad UVs, they've been fixed since!

Unwrap2.jpg

I then took the mesh into Zbrush for a bit of sculpting... Now you must remember that I have never touched Zbrush before! This is purely me experimenting and following various techniques I found on the internet, with a little of my own.

I still need to do the head and hands, but apart from that it's getting there. I also need to do high detail such as skin pores and all that jazz, as far as I've gathered about Zbrush.

sculptform2.jpg

Do let me know what you think, I'm trying to better myself at modelling and sculpting, even though I hope to get into level design further down the road.

Cheers! :D

Replies

• PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Does anybody have any crits or anything? Would greatly appreciate any help I can get! I know it's not finished but if I've done anything wrong I'd rather know now rather than later.
  • Willburforce
    Is is legal to get help on coursework? Just asking....

:D This is an okay start... freaky f@cker who made me spit coffee.. so something is alright

Tips: Ears and face are not quite positioned there, i think the skull is big at he back is hard to tell. neck looks... weird... I know you may intend it to be a mask but it looks off... it should come inwards at the chin. Exagerate the flab... and then imagine gravity acting on them.

You forgot to get references and look at them...

Do all this before pore etc

I think you simply need to raid google for like 5 minutes and you'll see..... References from the power of google...

http://images.google.nl/images?q=sumo&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=nl&tab=wi
  • Willburforce
    looking at the low poly... i feel you inflated the neck too far in zbrush.
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, it is legal! My lecturers actively encourage it, and my lecturer for this module to us all to register on here as it's a very well known forum :D

I haven't really worked on the head or neck area yet, I've been mainly focused on the torso, arms, legs and feet. I do have a lot of reference already, I am working with them closely.

Thanks for your feedback! It's great to hear somebody else's opinion.
  • Soft_Hands
    I feel that the fingers are a bit too thin.
    The placement of the nipples is also bugging me perhaps putting them more closer to the moob fold would make more sense.
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Ah yes! I haven't started on the hands yet. Well I did the thumb but need to inflate it still. I will also change the nipple location closer to the moob fold (great phrase, I might use it in my evaluation of the piece afterwards!).

I will hopefully have updates soon, I'm focusing a little on my animation module at the moment just to get it out the way, then I can dedicate my time to this module :D
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys!

Been working a lot more on this sculpt, really enjoying it! Got about another 2 and a half weeks to re-top this and then texture it. It'll be hard but I should have enough time to get it done.

Started the head sculpt, and it's coming along quite nicely. Need to do the lips next, then work in some fine skin pores and wrinkles to make it look more human. Let me know what you think!

sculptform4-2.jpg

Sculpt_head3.jpg
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Been working on it some more, some of the guys at Mapcore pointed out some problems with it, so I gave it a little more definition and worked on the lips. It's really coming together now!

Sculpt_head4.jpg
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Refined the head a lot more. It's slowly getting there! 2.5 weeks til the deadline, I'm going to be re-topping this model soon and then getting around to texturing it.

Don't be shy guys, comment away! :poly136:

Sculpt_5.jpg

Sculpt_4.jpg

Sculpt_3.jpg

Sculpt_head7.jpg

Sculpt_head6.jpg

Sculpt_head5.jpg
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Sumo wrestlers have muscles. Very LARGE muscles because they are very large, strong men. You have made taken a skinny guy, stretched out his skin and put fat inside of it. I say it this way because if a skinny guy just got fat from eating he would have also developed the muscles to carry it over the course of time it took to get that fat.

Long story short, you need to think of the layers you are building upon. Thick, mesomorphic skeletal structure, powerful muscle, then a thick layer of fat. Again, reference is key here, Beyond sumo wrestlers you can look at strongmen and powerlifters to see similar builds.
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for your help Cholden. I went back in and re-worked the muscles groups and he's a lot beefier now. I've been working from lots of references, but I just got lost in the Zbrush sculpting process I guess!

Here's a pretty much final render with textures:

viewportshader_body.jpg

viewportshader_head.jpg

Come on guys, don't be shy! Rip it to pieces, let me know what's wrong and what could be done better. It'll help me learn! I'm happy overall with how it's turned out, it's been a great learning experience. Never modelled anything quite this complex before. Assignment hand-in is next week so I won't be able to change much, but I'd love to know what you think!
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 17
    here is good ref for you
    81592867.jpg