Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Western themed Castle Crashers-ish game (WIP)

Hey all this is my first post, sorry I didn't see a welcoming thread. My name is Ray, and I'm an unemployed ex-Flash artist. I've kinda put off drawing for a couple months since I lost my job so I figured it was time to jump back in full force with a refresher game. My last job was in education and the quality expectations were really low, so I need to hone my stuff quite a bit, but it'll work for now I reckon (I'm from Tennessee :P)

Anyhoo.. to the game.

I'm looking to do a Western type game with a mix of elements from Castle Crashers, Sunset Riders, and Metal Slug. It will of course be a side scroller. I Just want a fun goofy game with over the top bosses, and pretty artful stages. I'm thinking things along the lines an old timey steam train mech for a boss, a giant tobacco spitting spittoon ect. On the NES forum I frequent there has been the thought of the stages being like jobs that Flint (the main character) signs up for, goes mad and has to eliminate all his co-workers, finally finishing off the "Boss" in the end. Going from job to job getting ticked off and killing the panty wastes. Coal miner, saloon worker, railroad worker, sherrif and so on. I'm kinda liking the idea, but I'm still open to changes.

I'm needing any feedback I can get on this one. I'm still open to story line (for the most part), stages, themes, bosses, BG art direction ect. Oh, it would really help if I had some direction on the HUD at the bottom... what it should be made of consist of. Heck even if you think its a good idea or not. I'll update things as I go. Help me out fellas. Thanks!

Current look of things SWF: (I just started last night so its very early on)
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/maximusfrisbee/Flint_master.swf

Current still of things:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/maximusfrisbee/Flint_master_still.png
Flint_master_still.png

Replies

• AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Sounds cool. Keep us updated! :D
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Character looks cool, presume the cheese is his mood meter, cheesed off lol
    Can't say much apart from maybe he could do with losing the beard stripe in the middle of the chin for a more stereotypical old westerner look. Looking forward to updates!
  • cadyw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOVE the design! Are you going to get in to HTML5 in the future...?
  • thefrisbee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input. Feel free to throw out any ideas about the game you might have or would like to see.

Does anyone know where I could find a Castle Crashers walk cycle? That would help me out a ton.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    try watching this http://vimeo.com/3010855

he has other videos on there too it looks like, but that's the only one I've watched.

Looks ace, i can't wait to see the rest of the world get fleshed out.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah this looks really nice dude. I really love the art style. You'll want to add something to the game that is similar to a cherished NES game, so it's obvious you're giving kudos to it. The indie kids love that shit.

Seriously though, this is looking rad.
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the concept of jobs as stages. The hud is also nice and minimalist, run with it.

Side scrollers look awesome when the backdrop plates are separated for parallax scrolling.
  • thefrisbee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    try watching this http://vimeo.com/3010855

he has other videos on there too it looks like, but that's the only one I've watched.

Looks ace, i can't wait to see the rest of the world get fleshed out.

Thanks man, those videos are helping out a ton. Ole' mr. Paladin is SICK.
    Tim Deneau wrote: »
    Side scrollers look awesome when the backdrop plates are separated for parallax scrolling.

Agree'd I definitely am going to incorporate that.

Thanks everyone for the input, and the compliments. I've working on this one on and off today. I think I'm still going to keep the HUD minimalist, but make the brown strip look more like a weathered western belt so that it ties in better. I'll post up an update before long.
  • thefrisbee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a mini update. I made the HUD stripe more of a belt design with the characters name "Flint" carved in the center. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Any input on changes on it?

Other than that I just threw in an extra mouth frame, and threw together a quick BG. I really really have to work on my BG designing :P There will be lots of refrence, and much more time put into the finished products for sure.

UPDATE:
    http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/maximusfrisbee/Flint_master-1.swf

pic..
    Flint_master_2.png
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love this!
    Although I preferred the more simplistic background - not necessarily just that banded gradient, but something more along those lines, of a few blocks of colour rather than the fine detail and smooth gradients. I feel it made your character (excellent as he is) stand out more. You could also try to create a contrast in colour between character and background, or at least character outline and background. This might help seperate the two, which is no easy task in a western setting, with all it's tan, brown and orange.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    This is awesome!! Love the updates and the whole idea behind it. I love westerns and this is sweet change of pace. Keep up the good work.
  • NoltaN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoltaN polycounter lvl 15
    damn it sir! you beat me to this lol. My buddy and I were working on concepts for something similar a few months ago haha. "Cattle" Crashers anyone?!?! lol that was our WIP title feel free to take it :) I love the character so far, really stylized and for some reason reminds me of the dad from cloudy with a chance of meatballs (to much hair covering the face / eyes lol I love it) Keep it up.
  • thefrisbee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ "Cattle" Crashers. I do believe I'm in love with that name! Taking your permission, I will more than likely steal that sir.

No updates as of now, I'm working a walk/run cycle, and it's kicking my butt.
  • thefrisbee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From the dead!

It's been a while but I'm back to working on this one after a huge amount of other projects that took my attention.

Still any ideas are very welcome!

http://megaswf.com/serve/49522/
    and
    http://megaswf.com/serve/49460/

Cattle_crashers_build1.png
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Man thats an instant hit, but he needs some more things on his shirt. He needs to be more important looking?
  • thefrisbee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm happy to take any suggestions. I've posted my progress on a few other sites, and this one always seems to get the most useful feedback. I love you guys.

Shoot me some ideas!
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome styling.

Agree with Xeno, feels a bit like he's only half dressed, only had time to put on his pants and boots. Perhaps have one of those leather vests? perhaps a scarf, making a stereotypical cowboy. Either vest or scarf, might be too busy with both.

how-to-make-cowboy-costume.jpg

Though it might make his top a bit busy, another method could be putting patches of mismatched and different coloured patches on his clothes.

AAAADP9fNhkAAAAAAHU3Cw.jpg?v=1254081837000

The other option is to put a sheriff star on his shirt.

Just ideas, though looking at it, it works best if it's kept fairly simple, with minimal details, add to many and it becomes too busy. So 1 or 2 details might look good on the shirt.

Really look forward to see this go further.
  • Emperors Teeth
    If he's a sheriff... a big cheesy ol' gold star on his chest would look awesome.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    This is so beautiful.

His nose looks like a womans leg wearing high heels. Sorry, that's all I see now!
  • thefrisbee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input. Since it's been brought up I totally agree. I threw together some quick designs to get an idea of what looks best. Keep in mind color is easily interchangeable.

I decided to keep from adding a sheriff badge option because of the "job" concept. :\

EDIT: It may be hard to tell.. but the difference in a few of the designs is the
    snugness of the arm hole for the vests.

clothing_options-1.png
  • thefrisbee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    This is so beautiful.

His nose looks like a womans leg wearing high heels. Sorry, that's all I see now!

lol.... great.. now I can think of is Italy sitting square on his face!
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the cheese the life indicator?
    If so may I suggest spaghetti instead, ya know spaghetti western.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    I like vest 2 with scarf 1
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Great looking stuff!

Completely off topic but thefrisbee's avatar reminds me of this glorious gem:

1378499-001966_link_mah_boi_by_zephyrcape_screen_large.jpg
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm with pilot on this, either vest 2 or scarf 1, awesome work.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, my first thought was Vest 2 and Scarf 1.
  • thefrisbee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I threw the bandanna on and started messing with the idle state. I'm thinking it's pretty cool, but shoot me some ideas if you think something else would suit it better.

http://megaswf.com/serve/49793/

After looking at him standing still there I might need to darken the brown outline and boots..
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    His breath seems out of sync with the up down motion of his shoulders(associated with breathing) I'd look at syncing it more with the up down motion, it starts synced, but quick desyncs itself with the other parts of movement.

Actually becomes noticeable for me, but it's a very small thing.

Agree with the darker outlines, on the boots, they are almost disappearing against the background, also the little brown dots next to the boots, read like spurs in their position, but colour wise they don't.

Thats all i can see right now.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Open vest 2, with or without scarf 1.

Why does the revolver spin whilst it's loading? surely it should only spin once it's fully loaded?

Everything looks awesome :D
  • thefrisbee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to look over your suggestions right now. I'm just getting started on it this "morning"

All great things you've noticed that need to be fixed. Thanks!

Also I should have a jumping animation down pat here in a little bit that I'd really appreciate some crits on. This is my first decent game and I'd like it to look at nice as possible!

Thanks again guys!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Nice work, animation looks great.
    ps: I spotted something in the swf that wasn't visible before: the gun barrel seems to loose itself into the background because there's no highlights.
  • thefrisbee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I've been messing with the jump animation and I can't seem to get it down like I want... but I can't quite pinpoint what doesn't look right either.

Help me out guys.
    http://megaswf.com/serve/50571/
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it might look better if there was a slight wave to the stache as he moves up and down in the jump, and maybe a little dip in the head as he goes up.
    also, love how his nose looks like a boot :)
  • Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    in the jump animation he just flies into the air, there is no build up of him bending down in preparation. other than that just some inbetweens would smooth everything out. i like this project a lot. cartoons always make me happy.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wholeheartedly agree with what scudzalmighty and screwonhed have said, the styling of the character really lends itself to a bouncier style of animation.

Also why did you remove the mustache animation in the walk/run/shoot cycle.

http://megaswf.com/serve/49522/

I quite enjoyed how his mustache moved up and down in that animation, if you keep a similar movement style for the walk/run cycle, without the mouth opening and closing animation would be really nice.

And then working on a similar style of mustache movement for the jump animation, but just exaggerating it slightly in the jump animation.

Looking at it, the idle animation still seems off with the breathing, though it alot better.
    I'd expect for the breathing cycle, breath in(chest out) shoulders move up, breath out(chest in) shoulders down. Which would require either the breath animation to be sped up to match the shoulder movement, or the shoulder movement to be slowed down to match the breath pattern.
    Just an idea, would be interesting to see if it works better. Remember to keep revision files(something I often forget to do)

Then there are small things that you over looked/left out due to being a simple animation test, such as removing weapon handles from holsters when the character has the weapon in his hand. As you did this in earlier animation tests, I'm sure you are aware of it, but I thought I'd mention it in case you overlooked it.

The spurs are alot better, and I love how the hat moves when he jumps.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Looks cool, lots of character.

Maybe a giant gold star on his chest. (If he's chasin bad guys)

I like the Hud too, maybe put 6 bullets under the gun, when he shoots one vanishes... all gone time to reload.?
    And what's wrong with light blue sky? would give alot of contrast to him since he's brown and dirty. A bright yellow spot up high... (of course different levels might be different times of day...

(guess I'm tired of seeing sunset desert themes (aka TF2)
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    vest 2 and scarf 2. Great work man, I really enjoy the look of this!!!! Cant wait to see more.